DIY LED brake lights

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
yes... there are 12v LEDs.. but rare.. u can find them in electronic stores...

got in big size somemore... 10mm diameter... but more expensive.. duno de price...

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
I'll go get the 12v LEDs this week. But how to connect? Just in series? or parrell? No need resistors then?

ctan13

Aug 19, 2004
I think you will need to check with the shop what sort of current the LEDs need. Based on that, you will then need to calculate the value of the resistors using the formula as stated in the link given by InitialD and myself. 12V LEDs doesn't mean that you can just plug them into a 12V supply ... it also depends on the current. I'm no electronic expert, but that's what I understand from all that I've read.

sharkair

Apr 21, 2004
just an opinion. switching circuit will be having current spike in it. current is equivalent to rate of voltage changes over time (dV/dt). the voltage travel from 0 to 12V within a very short time. this introduce spike in switching circuit.

however, this effect (current spike) can be dampened by putting a capacitor across +/- terminal.

My point is, better to use capacitor across power supply if you want to have your simple LED life longer. The circuit is good, but current protection must be there.

http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Brakes/brakes.htm

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the input! :)
Cheers

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
12v LEDs use parallel connections.. means can put direct to car batt.

use a fuse for safety..... if ur wiring short.. then wun burn ur car... hahah

yah.. i forgot to tell u guys dat those 12V LEDs kedai abang got sell... but only got blue,white in colour...

at melaka.. price is rm10 for 2 pcs, in Serdang.. rm12.50
those are used for the small light (wedge bulb)... u know sometimes u c ppl's car got de blue color light on their headlight when they on the small light... dat wan lar...

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Wow... price is double the normal super bright LEDs.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
this type of LED do not focus de light.. therefore it spread de light...

very suitable to use as a wedgebulb.. i used it for my rear no. plate light.. using blue ones.. effect damn nice.. n bright too!! blue colored bulbs cant get those blue effect.. B)

goslow

Known Member
Jun 21, 2004
russia
the double sided tape can use the 3m ones..strongest i've found after trying so so so many others..can get from this paint shop in seapark..it's the one which proton uses to stick their visors and bla bla bla

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello to all taiko...

this morning my hand gatal gatal go to polish the windscreen, then just now raining and wipping the water, the wiper become skipping-skipping style 1...

and i notice the windscreen become no slippery liow, just like the just washed manguk... :(

help... :(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience