DIY LED brake lights

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Wow!! Very informative! Thanks bro.. Will DIY my lights again. Hehehe.. But this time with less LEDs. Broke liao. :P

JasperSSP

Known Member
Nov 21, 2003
There are 12v LEDs in the market. It is used in industrial machines. but I dunno whether you can get it from the electronic shop or not.

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
HHmmm... maybe very hard to find them. And cost.. dunno how much. But less hassel... no need put resistors rite? Just straight connect?

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
yes... there are 12v LEDs.. but rare.. u can find them in electronic stores...

got in big size somemore... 10mm diameter... but more expensive.. duno de price...

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
I'll go get the 12v LEDs this week. But how to connect? Just in series? or parrell? No need resistors then?

ctan13

Aug 19, 2004
I think you will need to check with the shop what sort of current the LEDs need. Based on that, you will then need to calculate the value of the resistors using the formula as stated in the link given by InitialD and myself. 12V LEDs doesn't mean that you can just plug them into a 12V supply ... it also depends on the current. I'm no electronic expert, but that's what I understand from all that I've read.

sharkair

Apr 21, 2004
just an opinion. switching circuit will be having current spike in it. current is equivalent to rate of voltage changes over time (dV/dt). the voltage travel from 0 to 12V within a very short time. this introduce spike in switching circuit.

however, this effect (current spike) can be dampened by putting a capacitor across +/- terminal.

My point is, better to use capacitor across power supply if you want to have your simple LED life longer. The circuit is good, but current protection must be there.

http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/Brakes/brakes.htm

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the input! :)
Cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This powerful Mazdaspeed Mazda 2 is going to rock your world -- all Mazda fans!

Small compact 4 doors hatch super mini crunches by a 2.0 DISI diesel engine with turbocharged 4 cylinder, clock a 230bhp and 230lb-ft of torque will blows most of us away, not to mentioned a 6 speed closed ratio gearbox.

But the sad news is only Japan now have this model to be sold on the road, no to US and Europe...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience