How to improve low end performance?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Remember, Honda City is not using B16A or B16B... Old Hondas are powerful but not in today's new models. Unless FD2R, CL7, DC5....

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Honda city never use B series engine...old or new, still not powerful..

B16B use for Civic Type R...today type R use 2.0L..

dont compare old vs new..

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I'm not comparing old and new cos I do know the difference in power.

Part of me believe that its built this way and another part of me wants more out of it.

I'm going back to Honda service center but before that I really want to try out some other friend's car first.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Part of me believe that its built this way and another part of me wants more out of it.

I'm going back to Honda service center but before that I really want to try out some other friend's car first.
A couple of things I want to say :

1. 500km is still below full run-in mileage. Run in is supposedly 1000km. So rev the shit out of your car now to loosen up those piston rings. Take the opportunity to high rev it at every toll, every traffic light and every stop-start. Don't worry about breaking anything and hit that 1000km fast.

2. If after run-in your car still feels sluggish, one of the first things you should change that won't affect warranty (most likely) is your rims. Stock 195/50/16 or something like that rims are bloody heavy. Really really heavy. Get lightweight rims like the Advanti Storm series rims which weight only 4.7kg or something thereabouts. Or if you can afford original Japan rims get the Enkei RPF1 which are even lighter than the Advantis. That will make acceleration a huge difference already.

3. Lose weight. Remove unnecessary weight from the car like heavy ass subwoofers, junk from your last bbq/camping trip, etc. Weight is your enemy.

Lastly, get to know your car first. Its characteristics at the limit, how much punishment the tyres can take, how much bodyroll is too much body roll, etc. Once you understand the car, start modding bit by bit and you'll start to understand what each thing does. A simple change of lightweight rims first will do wonders. Then followed by ultrahigh performance tyres like the Federal RSR tyres or Yokohama AD08. Then chassis strengthening bars. When you really can pull out the full potential of your stock car then only start fiddling with the engine and exhaust.

Because if I were to give you a completely modded tricked out City with everything, you probably wouldn't know how to drive it properly or make full use of its potential.

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
That's a nice reply.

I already checked with few of my friends, they confirmed with me that it is the nature of Honda City to be sluggish. They say it will only be sluggish below 2.5k RPM. And its a different technology or something.

So for now I'm just going to rev my car and hope that it'll have some changes.

I'm planning to get Enkei RPF01 but not so soon. Don't plan to change full exhaust system cos it'll be too noisy. The most I'll just change extractor. But also not so soon.

Any stuff you can recommend? Feel free to drop me a PM if its not right to say it here.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
i still remember those days in Batu Tiga circuit, the 16a's and B were havoc :)
Till today they are still powerful. 160hp and 186hp for 1.6 litre engine. Compared with City's 1.5 litre with 117hp and Vios's 1NZ-FE with 107hp....

Honda city never use B series engine...old or new, still not powerful..

B16B use for Civic Type R...today type R use 2.0L..

dont compare old vs new..
I know that City never used B series engine. But one of the old one is using D series engine with SOHC VTEC. Coupled with manual transmission, that is still more powerful than those new City.

The modern Type R engine today is K20A....

Well, when you have the new engine, you sacrificed power for fuel efficiency. Same goes for old engines, sacrificed fuel efficiency for power.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Basically its a new car.

From the day I got it, its been that way.

I asked some people in a different forum and they told me the same thing. they say that from 0-30 is horrible.

It is smoother from 40 onwards.

I don't know if its my car or is it all that way.

I'm going back to Honda service center middle of January.

My mileage is approximately 500km.

Could it be my ECU haven't learn my driving style?

Some of my friends told me that the ECU needs to adapt to my driving.

I'm really confused and lost.
What you expect from a new born baby ? Can talk, walk and run ?? Do you engine break in FIRST then only talk...

engine break in doesn't mean ask you drive like mad down or floor the pedal like no body business...just drive a NORMAL but sometime give a little heavier footer to it....'TRAIN' the car...

Currently what i see is that all the parts and component of the car is still virgin and tight :proud:.....do you need to let it loosen bit then it will be smoother...usually most of the car after 10K km only be more optimum in term of power and fuel consumption....

A good way is drive outstation at highway...give a around 100-130km/h...dun street it till 150-180km/h...aside danger you also might get SAMAN :idea:

Errr.. i WONDER why you buy this car at the first place since you want more power and somehow knew is sluggish (test drive unit power very good ??)....

With the budget, u can get Cerato, Vios, Inspira, Preve.....what else ?

Last edited:

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Well, currently "seasoning" the car. :D

Hope for improvement as you guys mentioned.

I went for City because its within my budget. I went for the middle spec City and Honda was giving rebates which makes it cheaper.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

What happens if you ask Honda to unlock the stock ECU?

Does it help in anything?

One of my friend told me to unlock it.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Well, currently "seasoning" the car. :D

Hope for improvement as you guys mentioned.

I went for City because its within my budget. I went for the middle spec City and Honda was giving rebates which makes it cheaper.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

What happens if you ask Honda to unlock the stock ECU?

Does it help in anything?

One of my friend told me to unlock it.
Unlock in what sense? Remove speedcut and remove rev cut? On a stock car? Not advisable.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
ECU have a preset programming 2 run ur car..

It get inputs from sensors such as oxygen, knocking sensors, etc

From d inputs it control fuel, spark timing, etc so that ur car runs normally

AFAIK, there's nothing to unlock :wink:

Paging ECU sifu mr levin818 :driver:

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi saru04, when you said sluggish my mind was wondering you comparing with what car? Odd thing is why compare 0-30 and not 0-100? I'd drove this car for a week last time 0-100 in 10-12sec is more than enough for a city daily drive.. Some of the old way that they do for sluggish feeling new car is go back to the SC ask them to adjust lighten for the accelerator pedal. Is just a driver's feeling afterall :driver:

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I'm not too sure myself about the unlock thing.

I was just told to get back to SC and ask them to unlock ECU / unlock DVVT? No idea what it meant.

So called helps solve the problem.

As for the 0-30 I'm not comparing with at any car its just that from 0-30 its sluggish its like the car feels heavy.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi saru04, when you said sluggish my mind was wondering you comparing with what car? Odd thing is why compare 0-30 and not 0-100? I'd drove this car for a week last time 0-100 in 10-12sec is more than enough for a city daily drive.. Some of the old way that they do for sluggish feeling new car is go back to the SC ask them to adjust lighten for the accelerator pedal. Is just a driver's feeling afterall :driver:
Drive a Campro and feel the sluggishness and see.
U will be speechless.

saru04

Jan 2, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I used to drive Gen 2 Campro IAFM and honestly, from 0-80 its smooth to me.

So if I were to compare with Campro IAFM, i think 0-30 for Honda City is worst than Gen 2. LOL.

But after 30, I would say Honda City over Gen 2.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How bad was it in your area? My area now is very very bad. I can barely see anything clear over a few hundred meters away. Breathing on outdoors feels like inhaling smoke instead of oxygen. :frown:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience