Evo 8, Possible mods to improve power

[email protected]

Known Member
Mar 1, 2009
Hi Guys,

I've recently decided i'm not happy with the power my Evo 8 MR is making, its currently running about 320 at the wheels (although there is an issue with a lazy tappet causing it to only run at 280). I'm running high cams, straight through exhaust, blow off valve etc... I want to squeeze some more power out of the car with simple and cheap (but effective) mods. I don't want to go spending alot of money on the car and i can't run higher boost (1.8) as this has been done before and the turbo went BOOM! I also don't want to put a bigger turbo in either as the current turbo is so responsive and has virtually no lag so i don't want to effect that. Could you guys possibly give me some possible suggestions to bump power up to about 350 - 370 at the wheels...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i suggest an electronic boost controller and fine tuning the engine. where did u tuned it up prior to the BOOM sir?

[email protected]

Known Member
Mar 1, 2009
i suggest an electronic boost controller and fine tuning the engine. where did u tuned it up prior to the BOOM sir?
Already have the boost controller :) and tuning is next on the list, its been a while since it had any and the car has had problems and then been fixed since then... As for the tuning, I had it done at Links, but it wasn't them who put the boost up, somebody i had in the car had been playing with the controller and had turned it up without realising. Only then when it went in for repair and had retuning did they realise the boost was up.

Last edited:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
increasing boost witout proper tuning is a no-no sir, get it tune on a loaded dyno next time, wud give u a much better result imo

[email protected]

Known Member
Mar 1, 2009
increasing boost witout proper tuning is a no-no sir, get it tune on a loaded dyno next time, wud give u a much better result imo
So if i get the boost increased with proper tuning it should be okay? also at the minute im only running 1.3bar, rather than 1.8 do you think 1.6 may be safer but still produce a good increase?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
weve run an evo3 1.7bar with a microtech, tuned by joshua thiran of millennium motorsports, and the engine still is running strong today, after 3years. i believe an evo8 shud be able to run the same boost, if not more. running it at 1.5bar shud be safe imo, assuming everything else is in good shape sir

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i am now driving a 4G93p engine,
matspeed cams 272 both intake and exhaust,
mivec throttle , and bla bla bla

any BIG BROTHERS out there can give me advice, what piggyback , management should i install......
of course with a good price as in FUNCTION+GOOD PRICE... and worth buying...

of course emanage ultimate is much more expensive compared to the blue thing... is it worth the money ?

at the end of the day ,... where would be the best place to do it (install + tune+future...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience