how to DIY undercarridge LED light?

tylaxng

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang,Malaysia
wyx said:
to halve the voltage, try connect this way with R1=R2.

12Vdc --R1-------o-----6Vout
|
R2
|
Gnd

PS: connect R2 to Gnd at the mark o. I can't align the lines to its exact conenction :P
Erm.. no recommend using this way to get 6Vdc, output voltage easy to change when load parallel connect with R2.

Try using LM317 - Adjustable Regulator, u can get the stable 6Vdc voltage with few passive components in circuit....

LM317 Datasheet

wyx

Oct 24, 2005
For constant current load with very low current, like driving LEDs, use resistor to drop the volatges is fine.
If intended to use the 6V to drive variable load, then using LM317 to regulate the Vout is preferred. If intended to drive heavy load, then use LT1083-5 which can supply up to 7.5A. It's all depends on the application.

tylaxng

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang,Malaysia
yup.. wyx... i agree with you....

but the schematic that you provided, i dont think it's suitable to drive the LED, maybe you just want to show how to easily get the 6Vdc by using few resistors.... but it's under w/o load(LED) condition. When there is a load... it's another thing... i just dont want other people to get confused... coz not every people has the basic knowledge of electronic....

just my 2 cents.. hope that u don't mind... :regular_smile:

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
oh my god u guys .... lighting/wiring technician issit ??? lolzzz.... i dun know a single thing u're saying ... damn ..... wat dunno wat volt la this n that ....... goin crazy... :rofl:

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
SkYwAlKeR said:
hahaha.... all engineer are talking.... i also keep silent only.... i noobie.....
we noobies ... jom lets just go mamak n yamcha watch football hhahaahaha!! :rofl: maybe can teach the satay stall sellers how to install neon lights under their stalls or somethin....

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
nitrus said:
we noobies ... jom lets just go mamak n yamcha watch football hhahaahaha!! :rofl: maybe can teach the satay stall sellers how to install neon lights under their stalls or somethin....
haha.... later they say no need la.... they got charcoal red hot light.... no need neon.... lolz....

wyx

Oct 24, 2005
no pblm tylaxng, we just share-share and learn idea here :)

to those who likes to play with LEDs but not too familiar with them, try this to calculate the required resistor value for your circuit. Have fun :)

wyx

Oct 24, 2005
Better way to drop voltage for LED load is to use zener diode. Parallel a specific rating zener diode to your LED array to get constant 6Vdc. Series the whole circuit with an appropriate power rating resistor to limit the total current flow as well as the inrush current. LM317 regulator may be overkill in this application (driving LEDs). Moreover, it will consumes same amount of power as your load is consuming.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
night rider LED can buy the DIY project kit from pasar road... all the components inside already... u just need to think how to wire the LED nicely only...

liauchinfoo

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
Hi all, I'm a newbies here.
Dun know there is still any discussion on this topic. I just bought a 12V 8 Super Bright Blue LED, which is water proof to fix it under my Iswara A/B. They say just connect the switch to the dome light, when open door will light up the LED.
I'm thinking of another cool method to light up the LED. When I open my door lock alarm, it will light up, and it will only fade off slowly when I turn my car key to "ON" position.
Any sifu/guru here to shade some light on my idea?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anybody can tell me where can i tune my mivec and how much they will charge? thanks ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience