how to DIY undercarridge LED light?

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
i got the 12v LED thingy which meant to install at undercarridge car like neon... i try to read thru neon thread, but i found out there's still soemthing diff like ballast, i dun think the LED nit it rite?..so dicide to open new thread...how am i going to do the wiring?...i want to have switch to be turn on or off whenever i like....and on when i open my door....can this be done?...where should i link my cable?....anyone help?...where can i buy the switch aswell?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
since u already got 12v LED, u can directly wire everything up in series or parallel connection....

remember add a fius at the positive terminal, jz incase of short circuit...

i planning to do so as well... but using 3.2v LED (normal rm1 LED sold in electronics shop)... need to add resistors and so on... hehehe...

btw, mind sharing how u gonna waterproof ur LEDs??...

shar peye

Mar 1, 2006
KL
SkYwAlKeR said:
i planning to do so as well... but using 3.2v LED (normal rm1 LED sold in electronics shop)... need to add resistors and so on... hehehe...
how much resistance do i hv to add to the 3.2v LED if i wanna connect it to the 12 10w supplies?

mivecmerah

500 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
hehe....want tio do also..but i think better u all done it first...good luck man..

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
khguan...just some noob questions...r neon wirings the same like car audio wirings? which is like one wire from the battery...then to a switch..then to the lights...and another wire to the body of the car?

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
eh.. gimme sometime... later i post the pic of the prototype... without any casing yet.... no need diagram... the pic will tell u everything... :)

kelvin,
yes.. for most car accessories... there will be 2 wires +ve n -ve... +ve connect to switch to battery with fuse... n the -ve wire just connect to car body (ground)

wyx

Oct 24, 2005
guys, b4 we talk abt resistors value, fuse, etc, need to know 1st how many LED u intend to use, and what kind of LED as diff LED type consume diff amount of current.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
wyx said:
guys, b4 we talk abt resistors value, fuse, etc, need to know 1st how many LED u intend to use, and what kind of LED as diff LED type consume diff amount of current.
yeap... he has a point there... must know what LED u are using... the LED using what forward voltage and forward current.... plus, must consider how u wanna connect them... parallel or series??....

khguan, remember post ur prototype... haha... i'm going to do mine as well lor... sem break has jz started, everyday rust at home, better find something DIY stuff do....

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
I did LED before.

need to know:
1. Forward voltage. (normally 3.5V if RM1 at elec shop)
2. Typical Forward current (normally max 30mA.. so set around 20mA enuff).
3. Total of PARALLEL LED (series is not good for brightness - some will be dim, some will be too bright - not even brightness).

gimme those detail, i calculate 4 u, 4 free, with schematic and all. hows that?

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
ok.. as promised... the pics of the LED Strip i made... havent make the casing n stuff... no time to do it yet... but with this... u can make lots of things already...

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
yah... u need to get the same specs of LEDs so that they light up with the same light intensity.... test it with a 3V supply to ensure they shine the same brightness b4 soldering onto the veroboard...

u can extend it longer by connecting more strips in parallel....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Keeping the cost of racing down is one way to get more masses to jump in the driver’s seat and scratch that racing itch. However, it’s no secret that racing is a hard habit on the wallet and no matter how you look at it, cost will always become an issues.

One of the cheapest ways into racing is through the spec-racing route. Everything is kept...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience