[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
this oil cooler extension applicable for car that use radiator as ATF cooler such as 1.3myvi,perdana,wira-satria 1.6,1.8 and many other car... :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I found that my car don't have any hose for the AT box...to fill up just open the nut on top..to drain loosen the nut at the bottom... old car
That's weird. AT boxes usually have at the very least a cooler built in, unless the gearbox itself already has a cooler or some form of radiator / heat sink attached to it. This is your lion? I thought your lion was manual!

ShamBlur

Known Member
Jan 1, 2006
Things needed :
1. An atf cooler (new, recon, chopshop, etc).
2. Proper engine grade hoses and clamps.
3. Phillips screwdriver, size 10 nut remover tool.. forgot what these are called. I used a ratchet + extender + size 10 head.
4. Steel bands to hold the cooler in place.

First thing I did was drain all the ATF out (as much as possible).

In this case this is my Myvi so these instructions are specific for the Myvi. There are 5 plastic clips in the center top, 2 on each wheel well, 8 underside of the front bumper. Then you have to pop out the fog lights and remove the number plate. There are 3 size 10 bolts there, take them all out. Take out the bumper.

Be careful with the number plate and clips. All plastic crap is fragile.

My cooler was taken from a Volvo. Not too small, not too big. I have to saw off the metal lines and just use a little bit of the line protruding out to connect to the hoses. Make sure you clean the cooler and ensure the oil lines are not blocked. In my case one of the lines had so much rubbish it was almost clogged. Use a little degreaser and force feed the oil line with a strong water hose to clear it out.

I pulled out the original ATF hoses and tied them up (careful, there is a lot of oil in there). I didn't completely remove the hoses in case in future I want to put it back as stock. Then I plugged in my own hoses and took measurements before cutting them to the needed length.

I cable-tied the hose to the crossmember so it didn't touch the extractor cover or hit the radiator fan.

Done! Reinstall the bumper.

This picture shows a yellow hose. I initially used this hose but later changed it to an automotive hose.

All done!
ae111 97 can install this atf cooler rite.. how to do it bro..u got any helpful diagrams i can refer to? thanks in advance btw:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is your AE111 automatic? Take picture of your engine bay top view and I'll guide you

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Izso, no..its AT....I will check and see again...since i can't seem to find them.

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
Nice DIY ! wish to try myself but I would like to know if there any difference between before and after DIY..is the gear change much smoother ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nice DIY ! wish to try myself but I would like to know if there any difference between before and after DIY..is the gear change much smoother ?
Erm.. what I noticed with my car is the revving doesn't get as hectic as it used to when I floored the pedal. The power delivery seems more consistent rather than it revving really fast with no power delivered to the wheels. Also the GB doesn't overheat anymore when engine braking a lot (like downhill at speed)

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
Erm.. what I noticed with my car is the revving doesn't get as hectic as it used to when I floored the pedal. The power delivery seems more consistent rather than it revving really fast with no power delivered to the wheels. Also the GB doesn't overheat anymore when engine braking a lot (like downhill at speed)
how do you monitor the GB did not overheat? Is there any gauge connected ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
how do you monitor the GB did not overheat? Is there any gauge connected ?
LOL.. easiest way is to cook the GB. I drove pretty hard down Genting the last time on "2" and when I reached a straight I switched to "D" and it refused to shift up and stayed in the 2nd gear. I parked by the side of the road, switched off the engine and opened the hood to cool off. 15 minutes later everything was back to normal.

Did the same thing with the cooler and it doesn't have issues shifting upwards. I don't have any gauges attached for precision reading but butt-feel and a unresponsive gearbox is good enough indication for me! :biggrin:

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
LOL.. easiest way is to cook the GB. I drove pretty hard down Genting the last time on "2" and when I reached a straight I switched to "D" and it refused to shift up and stayed in the 2nd gear. I parked by the side of the road, switched off the engine and opened the hood to cool off. 15 minutes later everything was back to normal.

Did the same thing with the cooler and it doesn't have issues shifting upwards. I don't have any gauges attached for precision reading but butt-feel and a unresponsive gearbox is good enough indication for me! :biggrin:
oo ok.. I thought there's some meters involve for reference :biggrin:.. I won't dare 'cooking' my gearbox, if overcooked then have to spend lot RMsss (korean spareparts are ridiculously expensive in this country :banghead: )

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
oo ok.. I thought there's some meters involve for reference :biggrin:.. I won't dare 'cooking' my gearbox, if overcooked then have to spend lot RMsss (korean spareparts are ridiculously expensive in this country :banghead: )
So when you're gonna install a cooler? :biggrin: Actually, there are some cars that come with a big cooler. The Pajero, Evo 7 GTA and a few other big cars have coolers already.

The alternative to coolers is to use really really good ATF. Motul vs stock Perodua (Daihatsu) Dexron III for example is like comparing a Lambo with a Vios.

ShamBlur

Known Member
Jan 1, 2006

Bro, can you zoom into this section of the engine bay and shoot with a camera + flash? I can't see the gearbox from this pic

a bit bz bro at the moment.. will take pics asap ...thanks..

hksp

Known Member
Aug 14, 2004
see below ur rad, got 2 hose , that is stock gb cooler line

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys i've installed my apexi turbo timer ( original ) nearly 1 month plus hasn't had any problem until recently i used a carb spray that my foremen recommended me as he uses it for all his client's cars..

So engine turned on , throttle body opened sprayed it in. After that when it's done the dirt starts to leak out the TB and it's wiped

when i turn my engine off , turbo timer set to 30secs - the rev spikes up and down as tho it had a high cam but not low enough to feel like its...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience