[DIY] How to decrease engine bay temperature

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi all DIYer's. This are the method that I make to decrease engine bay temperature.
I don't have original picture, so I just grab it over the net.

1- Wrap extractor- engine bay temp significantly reduce after install this.

2- Raise a hood- With hood raised, hot air from engine bay can ventilate from the gap of the hood and wiper cover.

3- Remove the wiper cover rubber as in the redline in the picture. It will make better air ventilation.

4- Cold Air Intake CAI. With CAI, the temp during cruising at 3 pm is 34.5 deg celcius. (Measured at outlet of the CAI hose).

Attachments

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Thanks bro

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
by removing the wiper cover rubber, wont water or rain seep into the engine bay?
The rubber is higher up, water will drain into wiper motor area. Maybe some water will still splash into engine bay, but more actually comes in from the front and from underneath and most splash up by the belting....

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
You are correct bro. Thanks for explaining it. BTW, here is the picture vaporized wind screen when hot air blowing out from engine bay during raining.

Attachments

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
I also removed mine.. as raised hoods sometimes poses a danger whereby if the mechanic or other ppl is not careful when they are raising your hood, it might break your windscreen.. or sometimes you yourself when you are in emergency cases and you forgot... the tip of the hood will hit the windscreen then = hailat.com :biggrin:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
1- Wrap extractor- engine bay temp significantly reduce after install this.

2- Raise a hood- With hood raised, hot air from engine bay can ventilate from the gap of the hood and wiper cover.

3- Remove the wiper cover rubber as in the redline in the picture. It will make better air ventilation.

4- Cold Air Intake CAI. With CAI, the temp during cruising at 3 pm is 34.5 deg celcius. (Measured at outlet of the CAI hose).

thanks for sharing.

may i ask about the thermal wrap..
I'm referring to the titanium wrap whereby it can withstand higher temperature..

the cons of wrapping the thermal wrap is that it become moist and will cause rust. normally people will do ceramic coating/power coating/ high temp paint to protect it..
which is not a cheap thing..

i actually had an idea, not sure if workable..

after wrap, spray with silicon spray. silicon spray is often use in auto bay to protect rubber and less friction etc, most important.. its waterproof..

i read that people in states are doing that..

hence, out of curiosity, i also intend to do the same and give it a try..
not really hunger for extra hp/performance but rather in maintaining the car..

any comments? :driver:

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
The silicone spray can withstand high temperature?
Yeah, silicon spray is commonly used in workshop by mechanics, it acts as a coating only.

Basically, to protect the surface from oil, water, dirt etc.m..

The prevention of the heat is lies with the wrap primarily

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Is it silicon spray is same like wd-40?
Actually I've sprayed with high temperature exhaust paint before wrap it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
me2kimi - I'm about to start on the header wrap like yours. How many clamps did you end up using? And where did you buy yours?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Sorry bro, I've forgot how many clamps that used. If not mistaken 4 clamps on the top, 2 clamps at the bottom. You can use drive shaft boot clip, but I used a hoce clip, the one like water hose clip. Easy to fastern and hard to loose.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my toyota corolla seg 1.6(m) has been stolen at nzx, ara damansara last few days. i parked my car in front of a shop lots, it was parked facing towards the shop, and the thief even know how to shift in the reverse gear(blacktop 6 speed). damn i was so sad now. if u guys happen to c any white seg like my car, pls do inform me, thanks. my hp number:012-340 1819

model:toyota corolla 1.6(M)
year:1999
colour: pearl white
engine: blacktop 6 speed
interior:original seats. momo steering, momo...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience