[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Izso, no..its AT....I will check and see again...since i can't seem to find them.

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
Nice DIY ! wish to try myself but I would like to know if there any difference between before and after DIY..is the gear change much smoother ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nice DIY ! wish to try myself but I would like to know if there any difference between before and after DIY..is the gear change much smoother ?
Erm.. what I noticed with my car is the revving doesn't get as hectic as it used to when I floored the pedal. The power delivery seems more consistent rather than it revving really fast with no power delivered to the wheels. Also the GB doesn't overheat anymore when engine braking a lot (like downhill at speed)

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
Erm.. what I noticed with my car is the revving doesn't get as hectic as it used to when I floored the pedal. The power delivery seems more consistent rather than it revving really fast with no power delivered to the wheels. Also the GB doesn't overheat anymore when engine braking a lot (like downhill at speed)
how do you monitor the GB did not overheat? Is there any gauge connected ?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
how do you monitor the GB did not overheat? Is there any gauge connected ?
LOL.. easiest way is to cook the GB. I drove pretty hard down Genting the last time on "2" and when I reached a straight I switched to "D" and it refused to shift up and stayed in the 2nd gear. I parked by the side of the road, switched off the engine and opened the hood to cool off. 15 minutes later everything was back to normal.

Did the same thing with the cooler and it doesn't have issues shifting upwards. I don't have any gauges attached for precision reading but butt-feel and a unresponsive gearbox is good enough indication for me! :biggrin:

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
LOL.. easiest way is to cook the GB. I drove pretty hard down Genting the last time on "2" and when I reached a straight I switched to "D" and it refused to shift up and stayed in the 2nd gear. I parked by the side of the road, switched off the engine and opened the hood to cool off. 15 minutes later everything was back to normal.

Did the same thing with the cooler and it doesn't have issues shifting upwards. I don't have any gauges attached for precision reading but butt-feel and a unresponsive gearbox is good enough indication for me! :biggrin:
oo ok.. I thought there's some meters involve for reference :biggrin:.. I won't dare 'cooking' my gearbox, if overcooked then have to spend lot RMsss (korean spareparts are ridiculously expensive in this country :banghead: )

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
oo ok.. I thought there's some meters involve for reference :biggrin:.. I won't dare 'cooking' my gearbox, if overcooked then have to spend lot RMsss (korean spareparts are ridiculously expensive in this country :banghead: )
So when you're gonna install a cooler? :biggrin: Actually, there are some cars that come with a big cooler. The Pajero, Evo 7 GTA and a few other big cars have coolers already.

The alternative to coolers is to use really really good ATF. Motul vs stock Perodua (Daihatsu) Dexron III for example is like comparing a Lambo with a Vios.

ShamBlur

Known Member
Jan 1, 2006

Bro, can you zoom into this section of the engine bay and shoot with a camera + flash? I can't see the gearbox from this pic

a bit bz bro at the moment.. will take pics asap ...thanks..

hksp

Known Member
Aug 14, 2004
see below ur rad, got 2 hose , that is stock gb cooler line

shawida

Nov 3, 2006
So when you're gonna install a cooler? :biggrin: Actually, there are some cars that come with a big cooler. The Pajero, Evo 7 GTA and a few other big cars have coolers already.

The alternative to coolers is to use really really good ATF. Motul vs stock Perodua (Daihatsu) Dexron III for example is like comparing a Lambo with a Vios.
Unfortunately it seem the space below the bumper on my Hyundai Atos are too tight la to locate any additional cooler...so I think for now I stick to really good ATF :s:..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Unfortunately it seem the space below the bumper on my Hyundai Atos are too tight la to locate any additional cooler...so I think for now I stick to really good ATF :s:..
then u put like this lorrr.... :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Shawida : When there's a will there's a way. Cut the bumper! :biggrin: I had to cut a bit off mine to allow air to flow through. Otherwise by default it was sealed off. And on my Wira I cut a bit too to allow it to move around a bit without banging my bumper

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
here i share u mine wit bumper cut to clear the oil cooler fan motor from hitting my a/c coil...

1)frontal view
2)fan+motor view from top
3)side bracket sharing from hood lock brace
4)roughly done due to time constrain..even the cooler senget abit...but now all rectified and aligned properly :driver:

p/s:my cooling fan wiring i use separate switch...(donwan to hook with radiator fan switch so i can freely keep the ATF extra cool on hot sunny dah jamm)

Attachments

ShamBlur

Known Member
Jan 1, 2006
Shamblur bro, if you are in JB drop by my place and i try to help you. I have the same AE111 and also auto :)

Thanks for the offer bro avielboys... but i'm in sarawak...hahaaahaa..if not my ae111 already mod kaw2...

btw these are the pics that i took..sorry it took a long time..

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
shamblur....yes u got those atf cooler pipe....and u can proceed as iszo posted in this thread...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for the offer bro avielboys... but i'm in sarawak...hahaaahaa..if not my ae111 already mod kaw2...

btw these are the pics that i took..sorry it took a long time..
Hmm... I can't really identify what I'm looking at. If those are the hoses coming out from the GB, then yes - that's your ATF hose that you'd want to use to install the cooler.

avielboys

Known Member
Nov 14, 2008
JB, Johor
powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
Hi Shamblur,

the 2 slim hoses next to the radiator pipe is the ATF gearbox hoses which runs to the radiator.
There is a way to connect the oil cooler not sure better or worst ...

Install the atf oil cooler between the radiator and gearbox.

1 pipe to radiator, radiator 1 pipe to atf cooler, atf cooler 1 pipe back to gearbox ...

can consider this setup ... some pple jus totally ignore the radiator and use the atf cooler only ...

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

make sure you find a spot with air coming in and not blocking most of the radiator and condenser ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Unveiling the limited edition Opel Corsa OPC Nürburgring edition. Stunning design, innovative technology, unmatched dynamism, pure emotion and passion. These are the qualities that the models of Opel OPC features. There is a planned production of 500 units. The Corsa OPC Nürburgring has a OPC 1.6 Turbo engine capable of 141 kW/192 hp. Visual highlights are two new exterior colors, redesigned 8x18-inch...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience