Tires matching for FWD

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear all,

Was about to change tires for my LGT (Fwd) ... Currently using Potenza RE050 ... Good tires but wears off quick ... I will be replacing the front first due to budget constraint.

In general, i always move rear tires to the front and put a new set on the rear from experience. Now i wish to put a softer tires on the rear. Will the increase grip on the rear cause any change of handling? For eg, understeering more than usual? My alignment settings from all 4 tires are slight toe in.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dear all,

Was about to change tires for my LGT (Fwd) ... Currently using Potenza RE050 ... Good tires but wears off quick ... I will be replacing the front first due to budget constraint.

In general, i always move rear tires to the front and put a new set on the rear from experience. Now i wish to put a softer tires on the rear. Will the increase grip on the rear cause any change of handling? For eg, understeering more than usual? My alignment settings from all 4 tires are slight toe in.
That is what I do for two tyre change format....:driver:

Unless you are getting a lesser grip tyre you might oversteer. If something similar then is is alright.
What tyre size?

Last edited:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
That is what I do for two tyre change format....:driver:

Unless you are getting a lesser grip tyre you might oversteer. If something similar then is is alright.
What tyre size?
Current size is 225/45/R18 , stock size was 215/45/R18 ... Stock size is agile but abit tail happy, don't like the feeling. Wider tyres are sweet to tackle high speed corner, but compromised on the sharp corners.

What's your setup ?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Current size is 225/45/R18 , stock size was 215/45/R18 ... Stock size is agile but abit tail happy, don't like the feeling. Wider tyres are sweet to tackle high speed corner, but compromised on the sharp corners.

What's your setup ?
You would have lost some pick up with a wider and bigger diameter tyre of 225/45R18.
I would have recommended GY Asy2 but they do not have in this size. Looks like you may have to use back RE-050. Tyre that grip as good probably Michelin PS3 but have soft sidewall, then PSS but that is in the RM1k bracket.
Other that have your size are. Toyo T-1 Sports, Yokohama S-Drive, Advan Sports V103.
Or can try other BS tyres, BS RE-S001, RE-002

For budget tyre can try GT Radial Champiro HPY

I am driving very old Mitsu. On 215/45R17 now on GT Radial Champiro HPY. Rear are beam suspension cannot adjust alignment and camber. Front stock -ve 0.5 or so, slight toe in...:driver:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
You would have lost some pick up with a wider and bigger diameter tyre of 225/45R18.
I would have recommended GY Asy2 but they do not have in this size. Looks like you may have to use back RE-050. Tyre that grip as good probably Michelin PS3 but have soft sidewall, then PSS but that is in the RM1k bracket.
Other that have your size are. Toyo T-1 Sports, Yokohama S-Drive, Advan Sports V103.
Or can try other BS tyres, BS RE-S001, RE-002

For budget tyre can try GT Radial Champiro HPY

I am driving very old Mitsu. On 215/45R17 now on GT Radial Champiro HPY. Rear are beam suspension cannot adjust alignment and camber. Front stock -ve 0.5 or so, slight toe in...:driver:
Respect to you and your old Mitsu :biggrin: ... Never really heard of GT radial before, guess i will check it out. Is your car's engine 6a12 turbo??? :rofl:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Respect to you and your old Mitsu :biggrin: ... Never really heard of GT radial before, guess i will check it out. Is your car's engine 6a12 turbo??? :rofl:
Even before 6A12T, it is s 4G63T.
Well, never did like Indonesia tyres until I tried the GT Radial Champiro HPY....:driver:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mitevo7,

Take a look at this http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/wheel-and-tyre/437840-conti-sport-contact-5-ssr-csc5-225-45-18-y-2013-a.html.
Buyer mentioned was 2013 tyres with 90% tread. 1800 bucks for top of the range Conti Sports Contact 5 of that size is a catch! It should match your current RE-050!
It will be better to have all 4 side identical but regardless of working wheels, all 4 side must be of almost identical in performance and tread depth. Example : T1R front and maybe GSD3 rear. Its quite risky to have the likes of PS3 front and maybe the lousy Silverstone M5 rear where car tend to spin under emergency hard braking due to less traction at the rear.
Usual argument are more than 70% of the braking on ff configuration car are done by the front.
From my experience testing them on track, one fitted with lousy rear tyres tend to spin under hard braking. You got understeer and oversteer in one package..lol.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If two tyre change, the tyres used must be at least quite similar in performance. If not like what bro. Coldplay mention can get understeer and oversteer problems....

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
-Try Toyo T1 Sport for good grip in dry & wet, also quite comfort silent for performance tyre, and best part - made in Japan.
- Toyo T1R for handling, but noisy ride, also made in Japan
- Toyo C1S for silent comfort, but handling average, also JAPAN made.
-Michelin PS3 also not bad, but price expensive with made in Thailand.
-Bridgestone S001 good choice, but S001 mainly built for European vehicle(Merc, BMW, Audi,Volvo ... etc) as with hard sidewall & higher load index. LGT load might be too light for these tyre.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus,

i just changed my engine internals recently, but ever since, there's this irritating tappet noise. most significant in the morning when the engine is cold. when i asked my workshop, they said the tappets will take some time to realign themselves. is it true? is there a way to solve this problem? there wasnt any noise b4..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience