Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
For me the 4age is more practical and works better, at this price would be a good usable daily driver. 5 years ago would have went for this, but nowadays I want something a bit better specced (power windows, indepandent rear suspension)
Indeed you are right. I agree that 4A-GE especially the 20V version is more suitable for this kind of car. ITB setup similar to those old school twin carb weber setup like weber. Old school should retain their NA charm.

Another thing is, putting in a powerful engine like SR20DET might stress this 40 year old chassis. It wasn't designed to handle over 200hp and the powerful torque from turbocharged engine. If the chassis is damaged, you are done for because not easy to find another replacement.

I get your point about going for better spec especially if the car is used occasionally. But normally these old school cars are more of a fun weekend car. So, these things don't matter much if the car is not driven occasionally.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Don't you just hate it when owners advertise their cars on mudah as tip top condition but when you go see it its anything but ?
Faced this twice already. Went and see that Mark II last week. The side skirt on the left side is falling off. The upper wind screen trim is missing.
The rear bumper is dented in the middle and coming off a bit on the right side. Then the engine supposed to warm up idle at 1100 rpm then goes down to 800rpm after 2 minutes, but it keeps going at 1100rpm even after 6 minutes.
Then he says I am low balling his car.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Don't you just hate it when owners advertise their cars on mudah as tip top condition but when you go see it its anything but ?
Faced this twice already. Went and see that Mark II last week. The side skirt on the left side is falling off. The upper wind screen trim is missing.
The rear bumper is dented in the middle and coming off a bit on the right side. Then the engine supposed to warm up idle at 1100 rpm then goes down to 800rpm after 2 minutes, but it keeps going at 1100rpm even after 6 minutes.
well, expectations kene manage.... thats all i can say :smokin. Have to sabar cari kereta, most units being sold cheaply wont be perfect, they will have their flaws. Best advice i can give you is ask... ask for everything you can about the car, pictures and all that. Looking at cars that old, its going to take a while before you find a nice unit... min took me about 1-2 years i think?

about the warming up bit, if it was a very cold day or its possible the fella either messed with the idel or maybe added some 'stuff' into the car....

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
well, expectations kene manage.... thats all i can say :smokin. Have to sabar cari kereta, most units being sold cheaply wont be perfect, they will have their flaws. Best advice i can give you is ask... ask for everything you can about the car, pictures and all that. Looking at cars that old, its going to take a while before you find a nice unit... min took me about 1-2 years i think?

about the warming up bit, if it was a very cold day or its possible the fella either messed with the idel or maybe added some 'stuff' into the car....
All I'm saying if its not tip top please don,t say its tip top.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Here, read about this story. I've been reading it yesterday. Story about buying old cars and facing problems here and there.
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=445328

Side skirt can be fixed easily. Wind screen trim maybe difficult to source over here. Rear bumper not sure can fix or not. As for the engine, maybe more hidden problems is awaiting... I do notice one front lamp is tinted yellow while the other is not.

Low balling his car? Did you ask for a price cut? Since it is already like 12900, really can't cut the price much further.

The car looks cool if restored.

So at the end after you purchased your current car, do you think you have found a good deal or bad deal?

Last edited:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Yes i asked for a cut since its not tip top as claimed, and he also said he wants the 17" rims on the car and will give steel rims. Its quite a risk for me to buy this car considering what defects I have yet to detect. One has to also keep in mind this isnt the 1JZ variant, and comes with drum brakes at the rear. If want to put in 1JZ later also puspakom wont allow cause exceed the 25% rule.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes i asked for a cut since its not tip top as claimed, and he also said he wants the 17" rims on the car and will give steel rims. Its quite a risk for me to buy this car considering what defects I have yet to detect. One has to also keep in mind this isnt the 1JZ variant, and comes with drum brakes at the rear. If want to put in 1JZ later also puspakom wont allow cause exceed the 25% rule.
After checking online, I notice that the JZX80 series of Mark II doesn't come with a 1.8 litre engine. So what engine is this guy running on?

Check this out. If I have the money, I would get this one. My favorite model among the JZX series cars. Mark II JZX90 with 1JZ-GTE manual.

http://www.mudah.my/1996+Toyota+JZX90+Mark+II+2+5+M+-52334006.htm

Maybe you can view this JZX80? RM10k more but the seller says negotiable. And it has already been swapped to a 1JZ-GTE.

http://www.mudah.my/1995+Toyota+Mark+II+2+5+A+1jz+Twin+Turbo-51675202.htm

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
After checking online, I notice that the JZX80 series of Mark II doesn't come with a 1.8 litre engine. So what engine is this guy running on?

Check this out. If I have the money, I would get this one. My favorite model among the JZX series cars. Mark II JZX90 with 1JZ-GTE manual.

Maybe you can view this JZX80? RM10k more but the seller says negotiable. And it has already been swapped to a 1JZ-GTE.

http://www.mudah.my/1995+Toyota+Mark+II+2+5+A+1jz+Twin+Turbo-51675202.htm
Renesis, its not a JZX but a SX. Same chassis but comes with different gearbox, engine,diff. Comes with 4S-FI 1.8 engine. Its actually better for my application as road tax is cheaper and uses less fuel.
Thanks for the link on that ryuuken guy. If i were him i would walk away from the deal early on. I walked away from many deals already..as you know haha.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Renesis, its not a JZX but a SX. Same chassis but comes with different gearbox, engine,diff. Comes with 4S-FI 1.8 engine. Its actually better for my application as road tax is cheaper and uses less fuel.
Thanks for the link on that ryuuken guy. If i were him i would walk away from the deal early on. I walked away from many deals already..as you know haha.
I had forgotten. JZX is the performance chassis isn't it? By the way, how did the Soarer thing goes?

By now I think the Ryuuken guy had pretty much restored his Celica to a good condition. I think he did mentioned that he had extra 10k ready for repairs.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
So at the end after you purchased your current car, do you think you have found a good deal or bad deal?
to be honest? there were alittle hickups along the way, but one should always expect these things when buying cars about 2 decades old :biggrin:. Was already planning to paint the car, so paint condition and little dings didn't really matter all that much. Yeah, only thing that needs doing up is the bodywork and other things are the wear and tear stuff + one little interior bit which i still cannot source!!!!! Engine, well..... i picked this cause evo's are a an easy and legal install (or might install the 6a13tt instead, more power than the evo but not convinced the maintanance will not kill me. Right now it runs fine, so will probably stick with this engine till it dies on me one day...... evos gona cost me a pretty penny.

this car seems... familiar....

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I had forgotten. JZX is the performance chassis isn't it? By the way, how did the Soarer thing goes?

By now I think the Ryuuken guy had pretty much restored his Celica to a good condition. I think he did mentioned that he had extra 10k ready for repairs.
Well sakan auto i think wont go lower than 60K so i passed on that. Also that other guy with the first gen soarer isnt talking to me lol and i believe he wont let go for 10K. But even if 10K i am reluctant to buy cause i talked to a auto electrical expert and he also afraid he might not able to connect the wires to make the original dashboard and air con panel work. So I am also passing on this one. The 1st owner made a msitake when swapping out to the turbo engine, he didn't think far ahead. My electrical guy advised that If want to engine swap, keep the original engine and wiring with connectors for reference, and pre label before dismantling. But what happened was the mechanic just swapped over and worry about wiring later, so now our friend the seller is stuck with the car and trying unload this problem to others .

Also, if you look closely, you will notice that the X80 series MK2 and the Z20 soarer looks very simliar, in fact the X80 Mark 2 looks like a 4 door soarer. That's is one of the reasons I like it. if can get one at a good price then I would go for it, If not just wait for a soarer and pay more.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
to be honest? there were alittle hickups along the way, but one should always expect these things when buying cars about 2 decades old :biggrin:. Was already planning to paint the car, so paint condition and little dings didn't really matter all that much. Yeah, only thing that needs doing up is the bodywork and other things are the wear and tear stuff + one little interior bit which i still cannot source!!!!! Engine, well..... i picked this cause evo's are a an easy and legal install (or might install the 6a13tt instead, more power than the evo but not convinced the maintanance will not kill me. Right now it runs fine, so will probably stick with this engine till it dies on me one day...... evos gona cost me a pretty penny.

this car seems... familiar....
Of course one cannot expect a perfect condition car from a car that old. Unless those that are very well maintained but most likely those kind of cars are not for sale, hahahaha. :biggrin:

If you are planning to go for Evo, then I guess your car will be like those Perdana Evo then. FWD Evo. Sorry, I kept forgetting whether is your current engine comes with MIVEC or not.

Well sakan auto i think wont go lower than 60K so i passed on that. Also that other guy with the first gen soarer isnt talking to me lol and i believe he wont let go for 10K. But even if 10K i am reluctant to buy cause i talked to a auto electrical expert and he also afraid he might not able to connect the wires to make the original dashboard and air con panel work. So I am also passing on this one. The 1st owner made a msitake when swapping out to the turbo engine, he didn't think far ahead. My electrical guy advised that If want to engine swap, keep the original engine and wiring with connectors for reference, and pre label before dismantling. But what happened was the mechanic just swapped over and worry about wiring later, so now our friend the seller is stuck with the car and trying unload this problem to others .

Also, if you look closely, you will notice that the X80 series MK2 and the Z20 soarer looks very simliar, in fact the X80 Mark 2 looks like a 4 door soarer. That's is one of the reasons I like it. if can get one at a good price then I would go for it, If not just wait for a soarer and pay more.
Looks like the Soarer plan is off. The first gen Soarer guy is probably afraid of further questioning from you. :biggrin:

Soarer and Mark II/Chaser/Cresta these kind of cars are very much related. Kinda like Laurel and Skyline.

Hope you can find a good example of these cars. Mark II seems more easy to find over here. Chaser I'm not sure. Cresta is very rare.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Who wants a Chaser? I got lubang to get the newer and older ones. About 60-80k depending on specs.

And what about the AW11? Any interest?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

K i'm interested in swapping my engine to a B18c engine...Is it possible to do so??I mean with JPJ approval??I've never seen this before but i'm really interested in doing so...can anyone help me with this issue..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience