Need advice: 4g93 SOHC auto 'semput'

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I have the same feeling as well coz cold start is ok. The choke is working. Gonna go and get the distributor adjusted by another mechanic.
If advance back and got pinging, you need Ron 97 already......lol:biggrin:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
If advance back and got pinging, you need Ron 97 already......lol:biggrin:
Manage to resist the temptation of 97. Lol. Sent the car to Frankie (the ISC guy). He reset the ISC, adjust back the TPS (i think). Tps set at .89++ something. He adjust back to .5 which is the standard he said. Now car doesn't feel sluggish anymore. He also advance a bit the distributor. No more pinging.

New problem arise, rpm drops at 3rd gear and 4th gear. Gonna send back to gearbox mechanic to check. Damn this half cut transplant really is not easy. :(

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What do you mean rpm drop? Changing to higher gears, rpm do drop.....

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

RON 97 poison :driver:
Some time cannot help, like when first time G took Ron 92 off and intro 95 and 97. Tried to save by using 95 but VR after 3 tank cough and knock so needed 97.....:smokin::rolleyes:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Some time cannot help, like when first time G took Ron 92 off and intro 95 and 97. Tried to save by using 95 but VR after 3 tank cough and knock so needed 97.....:smokin::rolleyes:
Same for my ride as well.....used 95 = big mistake hahaha
High end all knock and lost 20whp, then go back to 97 :thefinger:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya

How to explain the drop... Ok, cold start, let the engine warm enought to drive. When all is ok, shift to d, drive 1st gear, goes in to 2nd gear there's a drop from 2000rpm jumps back to 2500 rpm and drops back to 2000 rpm. It went on like that until 3rd gear. 3rd gear also the same and 4th gear the same. In 4th gear, it's easier to notice by depressing the gas pedal pedal, you can see the rpm hunting up and down.

I'm out of ideas. I still think there's something wrong on the ignition timing part. :banghead:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
How to explain the drop... Ok, cold start, let the engine warm enought to drive. When all is ok, shift to d, drive 1st gear, goes in to 2nd gear there's a drop from 2000rpm jumps back to 2500 rpm and drops back to 2000 rpm. It went on like that until 3rd gear. 3rd gear also the same and 4th gear the same. In 4th gear, it's easier to notice by depressing the gas pedal pedal, you can see the rpm hunting up and down.

I'm out of ideas. I still think there's something wrong on the ignition timing part. :banghead:
Hmmm.....got to a workshop to check on the ignition timing. They can use the ignition timing light to check on its value and work it out from there :)
But it could be a combination of things, need to get it check thoroughly

Last edited:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Hmmm.....got to a workshop to check on the ignition timing. They can use the ignition timing light to check on its value and work it out from there :)
But it could be a combination of things, need to get it check thoroughly
I went to GT Auto in Sunway. The mechanic pun pening troubleshoot the thing. The boss came and put my car on dyno. Ignition timing out, TPS sensor out, spark plugs kong (previous workshop didn't replace new ones).

I was a bit worried the engine can't handle the dyno coz the engine direct transplant from half cut. No top overhaul done. End up with 91whp from 81whp. Valve seal bocor a bit after the run. Not that serious he said. Just need to check my engine oil regularly, when I have the budget go and replace it.

Spark plugs changed to Denso Iridium (they only have that) for RM200, dyno tuning and adjustment RM200. Total RM424 with GST. Now I'm broke. :bawling:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
TPS out? I thought franky already tune it for you. So how was it after tuning by GT Auto?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
TPS out? I thought franky already tune it for you. So how was it after tuning by GT Auto?
Frankie did tune it for me but after the dyno run, results came out not enough fuel. They readjust the tps again and did the timing adjustment using the timing light. Now feels more responsive. No more sluggish acceleration. Need to run a few more days and if more trouble arise or not. Hopefully not.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
RPM going up and down in gear not sign of gear box slip? unless drop when changing gears then understandable.....

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
RPM going up and down in gear not sign of gear box slip? unless drop when changing gears then understandable.....
I already inform the gearbox shop. It's still under 6 months warranty. Gonna go and have it check tomorrow.

EDIT: Gearbox already out of order. Very late shifting and jerking. :bawling: :banghead:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
A few things I just wanna ask :

1. 4G93 not auto adjuster meh? Need manual tappet adjustments?
2. Does the ISC come with the car as default? If not why do you need it to work normally?
3. GB under warranty but did they say what was repaired?
4. Does your car have a AFR?
5. Did you check all the usual culprits like a blocked vacuum hose (old car mah), a blocked PCV valve (surprisingly common in 4G cars which everyone seems to ignore), faulty spark plug cables, a failing distributor?
6. Who tweaked your car at GTA? Thomas or the other fella? I've dealt with Thomas a few times and I think he's quite knowledgeable. If it's his workers I'd prefer not to let them tweak the car.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
4g93 SOHC is screw type tappet adjuster..like 4g92sohc as well..manually adjust...better free of mind long term than those hydraulic tapped...old engine with sludge were culprit in hydraulic lifter and mesin jahit noise

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
A few things I just wanna ask :

1. 4G93 not auto adjuster meh? Need manual tappet adjustments?
2. Does the ISC come with the car as default? If not why do you need it to work normally?
3. GB under warranty but did they say what was repaired?
4. Does your car have a AFR?
5. Did you check all the usual culprits like a blocked vacuum hose (old car mah), a blocked PCV valve (surprisingly common in 4G cars which everyone seems to ignore), faulty spark plug cables, a failing distributor?
6. Who tweaked your car at GTA? Thomas or the other fella? I've dealt with Thomas a few times and I think he's quite knowledgeable. If it's his workers I'd prefer not to let them tweak the car.
I seriously don't know anything about technical information on the engine. So as I can see after going in and out of workshops:

1. 4G93 not auto adjuster meh? Need manual tappet adjustments? - Tappets still making sound especially when engine is hot. I don't know if it has an auto adjuster. When adjusting the tappets before, mechanic said tappets on the exhaust side all loose.
3. GB under warranty but did they say what was repaired? - The workshop didn't tell me anything. Maybe due to language barrier coz the mechanics there had trouble explaining stuff in malay or english to me. Went to the gearbox shop just now and the no problem with the gearbox. The TPS wiring socket broke (pix attached) hence the gear lag and CEL keeps on blinking on and off.
4. Does your car have a AFR? - I don't know if it have or not. Mine is 4g93 SOHC auto trans
5. Did you check all the usual culprits like a blocked vacuum hose (old car mah), a blocked PCV valve (surprisingly common in 4G cars which everyone seems to ignore), faulty spark plug cables, a failing distributor? - Spark plugs checked at GTA and vacuum hose changed as well coz it got a small tear. Planning to change the plug cables end of this month coz I'm already broke. Spent close to RM3k already this month trouble shooting the problem.
6. Who tweaked your car at GTA? Thomas or the other fella? I've dealt with Thomas a few times and I think he's quite knowledgeable. If it's his workers I'd prefer not to let them tweak the car. - Thomas did the tweaking coz his worker can't find the problem. Ended up on the dyno. Thomas told me that the TPS adjustment was out, the timing was out as well. He guided his worker to do the adjustment and ran the car a few more times on the dyno. The only suspected faulty item that he told me is the valve seal.

So far, TPS socket was the culprit. After adding the clip to hold it, car runs ok. I need to change that. Engine still pinging at 3000-3500 RPM. All repairs and check-up is on hold until my next salary. :bawling:

Attachments

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Seems a lot of problem from engine to GB then back to engine and then gb again.......:banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wiper blades are like squeegees. The arms of the wiper drag a thin rubber strip across the windshield to clear away the water.

When the blade is new, the rubber is clean and has no nicks or cracks. It wipes the water away without leaving streaks. When the wiper blades age, nicks or cracks form, road grime builds up on the edge and it doesn't make as tight a seal against the window, so it leaves streaks. Sometimes you can get a little extra life out of your wiper blade by wiping the edge...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience