Need advice: 4g93 SOHC auto 'semput'

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Hopefully all is well this time :)
Just got back my car. So far all the semput-ness no more. It was the gearbox after all. There was heavy traffic from Subang Hi-tech heading to my place at Subang Bestari. Gearbox works smoothly running through the traffic jam. No more jerking or timing drop like crazy.

I then get to test the shifting at Guthrie highway. Car was on Eco mode and managed to hit 140km/h effortlessly. There's some knocking sound at high RPM (6500). Maybe need to go adjust the tappets coz it's a bit loud.

Any workshop should be able to do the adjustment right?

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Just got back my car. So far all the semput-ness no more. It was the gearbox after all. There was heavy traffic from Subang Hi-tech heading to my place at Subang Bestari. Gearbox works smoothly running through the traffic jam. No more jerking or timing drop like crazy.

I then get to test the shifting at Guthrie highway. Car was on Eco mode and managed to hit 140km/h effortlessly. There's some knocking sound at high RPM (6500). Maybe need to go adjust the tappets coz it's a bit loud.

Any workshop should be able to do the adjustment right?
Yea any workshop can do but best to go back to your trusted mechanic if you have one. When you changed your ISC, was the current one already bad condition to begin with?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Yea any workshop can do but best to go back to your trusted mechanic if you have one. When you changed your ISC, was the current one already bad condition to begin with?
The ISC looks pretty bad. No choke during cold start. Now way better and after gearbox repair, timing is a lot smoother. I set the idling to 1100rpm when aircond is on. Gonna go and adjust the tappet and knocking next week. So far, I'm very satisfied with the car after the gearbox repair. :biggrin:

Rebuild woh! means repair his auto gb......lol:biggrin:
I hentam the terms. hahaha! but the shop did dismantle everything, replaced the clutch, oil seals gasket etc.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
The ISC looks pretty bad. No choke during cold start. Now way better and after gearbox repair, timing is a lot smoother. I set the idling to 1100rpm when aircond is on. Gonna go and adjust the tappet and knocking next week. So far, I'm very satisfied with the car after the gearbox repair. :biggrin:
That's good news indeed. After readjusting the tappets, then can say your car's problems are fixed :biggrin::biggrin:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
That's good news indeed. After readjusting the tappets, then can say your car's problems are fixed :biggrin::biggrin:
Oh, well. I sent the car to the mechanic who did the engine transplant to adjust the tappets and pinging and also change the muffler to twin-tip s-flow. I think he messed up the ignition timing. The car feels sluggish now. Before, the acceleration was ok but there was pinging at 4500 rpm during acceleration. After tappets adjustment, the pinging starts at 3500 rpm.

Now no more pinging but the acceleration is sluggish as hell and hunting idle as well. He said need to check the car computer coz if he adjust the distributor, the pinging will come back. Something to do with incorrect air fuel ratio. Is this right? Or he doesn't know what he's doing?:confused:

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
with the use of ficd, u need to disable the original ISC....

im using 2 ficd...1 for cold start and another one for ac.....because my car isc went crazy idiotic setting....now worn gear..no check engine light, tps voltage setting was correct....but acting weird when morning cold start works fine...then alter 20mins trip or 30mins trip..stopping at traffic light, the idle speed will increase to above 1200rpm.... sometimes ok..sometimes not....so i locked the isc to predetermined setting, remove the gear linking isc to the stepper motor...then put 2 ficd..problem solved...now i got manual cold start choke and ac idle speed control..which both i can manually fine tune with just screwdriver :rofl: :driver: (*i'm a manual man) :biggrin:
seem i need 2nd ficd for cold start too la

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I have the same feeling as well coz cold start is ok. The choke is working. Gonna go and get the distributor adjusted by another mechanic.
If advance back and got pinging, you need Ron 97 already......lol:biggrin:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
If advance back and got pinging, you need Ron 97 already......lol:biggrin:
Manage to resist the temptation of 97. Lol. Sent the car to Frankie (the ISC guy). He reset the ISC, adjust back the TPS (i think). Tps set at .89++ something. He adjust back to .5 which is the standard he said. Now car doesn't feel sluggish anymore. He also advance a bit the distributor. No more pinging.

New problem arise, rpm drops at 3rd gear and 4th gear. Gonna send back to gearbox mechanic to check. Damn this half cut transplant really is not easy. :(

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What do you mean rpm drop? Changing to higher gears, rpm do drop.....

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

RON 97 poison :driver:
Some time cannot help, like when first time G took Ron 92 off and intro 95 and 97. Tried to save by using 95 but VR after 3 tank cough and knock so needed 97.....:smokin::rolleyes: