halycon

Sep 28, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
2 freaking tonnes < ---- Only if the driver weight 700kg :proud:

GTI Mk6 = 1318kg

Source : Volkswagen MK6 Golf GTI | Car Review | evo

Car Most Likely To be Stolen = Civic FD2R

Curb weight for GTI is 2tonnes.

2 freaking tonnes. That's one heavy ass mofo hatchback. Reliability as long as the mech you go to (if not the official Wearnes workshop) knows what he's doing it's pretty reliable. Special attention to be taken on the FI bits and gearbox. Friends GTI MK6 has lasted her for 2 years and the only thing that broke was her side mirror cover cuz some dumbass motor knocked it during heavy traffic. No stalling or dying problems whatsoever.

Comfort wise - Golf GTI win
Power wise - Golf GTI win
Daily drive easy and comfort - Golf GTI win
Class and stylo milo - Golf GTI win
Jockeys and guards give face - Golf GTI win

Everything else FD2R win. :biggrin:

K-engine Vtektek sound 7000rpm FTW - WIN!
Corner like a god with his ass on fire - Civic R Win!
Awesome interior and Recaros, momo and back support - Civic R Win!
Riceboy and every JDM lover drool worthiness - Civic R Win!

Personally I'd go for the Civic R but I wouldn't say no to a Golf GTI either. Both cars are great and both cars will be expensive to maintain and both cars can be quite fussy with maintenance - but both cars will make you grin from ear to ear whenever you take it out for a spin.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Oh Caveat - even though Golf GTI works with RON95, if you plan on taking it out for spirited driving, it's still recommended to use higher octane petrol.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Curb weight for GTI is 2tonnes.

2 freaking tonnes. That's one heavy ass mofo hatchback. Reliability as long as the mech you go to (if not the official Wearnes workshop) knows what he's doing it's pretty reliable. Special attention to be taken on the FI bits and gearbox. Friends GTI MK6 has lasted her for 2 years and the only thing that broke was her side mirror cover cuz some dumbass motor knocked it during heavy traffic. No stalling or dying problems whatsoever.

Comfort wise - Golf GTI win
Power wise - Golf GTI win
Daily drive easy and comfort - Golf GTI win
Class and stylo milo - Golf GTI win
Jockeys and guards give face - Golf GTI win

Everything else FD2R win. :biggrin:

K-engine Vtektek sound 7000rpm FTW - WIN!
Corner like a god with his ass on fire - Civic R Win!
Awesome interior and Recaros, momo and back support - Civic R Win!
Riceboy and every JDM lover drool worthiness - Civic R Win!

Personally I'd go for the Civic R but I wouldn't say no to a Golf GTI either. Both cars are great and both cars will be expensive to maintain and both cars can be quite fussy with maintenance - but both cars will make you grin from ear to ear whenever you take it out for a spin.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Oh Caveat - even though Golf GTI works with RON95, if you plan on taking it out for spirited driving, it's still recommended to use higher octane petrol.
I think your comparison criteria kinda retarded. You are comparing a passenger car (Golf) to a race car (FD2R).

Everybody in ZTH knows Honda Civic Type R is a race car. That's what the R stands for, Racing. I'm pretty sure out of the box the FD2R laps Sepang faster than even a Subaru Impreza STi. And you compare stuff like comfort? Who gives a shit about comfort if you're considering a FD2R?

The only thing comparable between the 2 cars is the price. And for the money you can either buy a transportation tool, or a race car. If you want a race car that serves as a transport, go buy a Porsche Panamera Turbo S. If your answer is no money, then go screw yourself cause you can't have the cake and eat it too.

And P/S I don't think a Golf is more comfortable than a Civic. Maybe more refined but a normal Civic surely feels more spacious. I've spent 2 weeks living with a Golf Mk5. Maybe the newer ones improved. Class...lol... VW is just the Proton of Germany..nothing class about it.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I think your comparison criteria kinda retarded. You are comparing a passenger car (Golf) to a race car (FD2R).

Everybody in ZTH knows Honda Civic Type R is a race car. That's what the R stands for, Racing. I'm pretty sure out of the box the FD2R laps Sepang faster than even a Subaru Impreza STi. And you compare stuff like comfort? Who gives a shit about comfort if you're considering a FD2R?

The only thing comparable between the 2 cars is the price. And for the money you can either buy a transportation tool, or a race car. If you want a race car that serves as a transport, go buy a Porsche Panamera Turbo S. If your answer is no money, then go screw yourself cause you can't have the cake and eat it too.

And P/S I don't think a Golf is more comfortable than a Civic. Maybe more refined but a normal Civic surely feels more spacious. I've spent 2 weeks living with a Golf Mk5. Maybe the newer ones improved. Class...lol... VW is just the Proton of Germany..nothing class about it.
Seriously? How can a FD2R beat an Impreza WRX STI on track? Even in stock form, Impreza WRX STI had more horsepower, torque and a 4WD layout compared to the FD2R.
Other than Panamera Turbo S, M5 can be considered as well.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Seriously? How can a FD2R beat an Impreza WRX STI on track? Even in stock form, Impreza WRX STI had more horsepower, torque and a 4WD layout compared to the FD2R.
You just need to look at the TTA results in the last few years to see how quick the FD2R on track, at least in Sepang.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
You just need to look at the TTA results in the last few years to see how quick the FD2R on track, at least in Sepang.
he said out of the box...stock..

not extremely modified like kazama fd2r...
then compare it with singaporean impreza...:adore:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
he said out of the box...stock..

not extremely modified like kazama fd2r...
then compare it with singaporean impreza...:adore:
I am referencing the 2012 R1 TTA cause I remember the impressive results of the FD2R

NA Street Class Hall Of Fame

Turbo Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

The street class is closer to stock form, and the FD2R can make limited power increase due to its naturally aspirated form. And you can see FD2R can clock better times.

When you do extreme mods, turbo always benefit from a larger power increase, easily. Everybody knows its easier to make more power with a turbo than NA.

NA Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

Turbo Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

FD2R is still not that much slower in the Super Street Class.

The Subaru Impreza STi in stock form (v8/v9) is pretty weak in terms of handling, requiring mods like the whiteline anti-lift mod, among others, and most would agree out of the box the Evo 8/9 is superior in handling to the Impreza -- the slalom tests and G-force plots proves that.

And this is in Sepang. On an even smaller track with less straights where the turbos cannot flex its muscles, FD2R will simply thrash the rest.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
I have seen many APR Stage 3 Golf GTIs, they run well compare to other VWs because they say Golf is uing wet clutch instead of dry clutch. Not sure. But Golf GTI can take some serious power gains.
For me, FI for the win. Just cannot not love the BOV sound.
Regarding number 4, after sales, just check VW Malaysia FB page. They suck badly.

This car can't take a lot of beatings wor. :\
are u sure?

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
if you wanna race, FD2R
if you wanna be another "trend guy", pick any VW
someone even feel they are special with Polo, whic is 17 years old boy car

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Not an owner but my friend's friend owned one.
it's bang of the buck for power
track pretty well as well

that's all i know

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
if you wanna race, FD2R
if you wanna be another "trend guy", pick any VW
someone even feel they are special with Polo, whic is 17 years old boy car

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

it's bang of the buck for power
track pretty well as well

that's all i know
Well, yeah. But my friend say its crap. I wouldn't know until i drive it. haha.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
are u sure?
Golf Mk5 uses wet clutch DSG.. mk6 uses dry clutch DSG which has many issues, similar to the Polos, Jettas etc that uses the same dry clutch system.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I am referencing the 2012 R1 TTA cause I remember the impressive results of the FD2R

NA Street Class Hall Of Fame

Turbo Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

The street class is closer to stock form, and the FD2R can make limited power increase due to its naturally aspirated form. And you can see FD2R can clock better times.

When you do extreme mods, turbo always benefit from a larger power increase, easily. Everybody knows its easier to make more power with a turbo than NA.

NA Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

Turbo Super Street Class Hall Of Fame – TIMETOATTACK Round 1 2012

FD2R is still not that much slower in the Super Street Class.

The Subaru Impreza STi in stock form (v8/v9) is pretty weak in terms of handling, requiring mods like the whiteline anti-lift mod, among others, and most would agree out of the box the Evo 8/9 is superior in handling to the Impreza -- the slalom tests and G-force plots proves that.

And this is in Sepang. On an even smaller track with less straights where the turbos cannot flex its muscles, FD2R will simply thrash the rest.
I got it wrong earlier then. But from the list, only 1 Civic FD2R clocked less than 2.30. So, by average the other FD2Rs had clocked at roughly between 2.30 to 2.40.
Comparing results at TTA is also a rather subjective matter because the cars are driven by different drivers with different skills. So, it's not really a fair direct 1 on 1 comparison.