FD2R vs Golf TI - Reliable vs Cost

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
FD2R vs Golf GTI - Reliable vs Cost

I open this new tread not to discuss which car to choose, but more to which car are reliable vs cost.

1. Which car have better FC
2. More reliable, less problem, less headache
Example - Gear box problem may cause u a bomb to replace/repair.
3. Turbo vs NA Jpn Car - Turbo car tend to overheat especially during heavy jam + hot weather.
- So far I hear Golf GTI turbo overheat problem easily causing the electronic part malfunction.
4. Replacement parts
- Golf GTI parts/accessories are way more expensive as it import from Germany, as told by Service mechanic ( No idea ?)
5. Maintenance / Repair
- Not many workshop able to service / repair Golf GTi, as new technology, or need specific equipment for this monster ? Is it true ?

So, who really drove those car, please help advice me, before I decide which car to buy.
I not talking about performance, as we already knew GTI more power then FD2R in normal drive, but FD2R better in track.
And those car are very similar price, that made me confuse to choose.

Last edited:

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
FD2R for the win!

When u drive this kind of car, why would you care of fuel consumption?
If you have this concern, surely performance car isn't you choice already

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

If want even more power, MAZDA 3 MPS

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Although FC not really a concern for those plp who like sport car, but as I mention, I wana compare reliable, not only performance.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
I think u should look at is, FD2R are more often used to wrack corners

Instead GTI tends to receive better care

But if recon one, I say don't no trust any

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
FD2R should be more reliable since it's manual gearbox and N/A engine, but the GTI might have better FC and much more comfortable.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I have seen many APR Stage 3 Golf GTIs, they run well compare to other VWs because they say Golf is uing wet clutch instead of dry clutch. Not sure. But Golf GTI can take some serious power gains.
For me, FI for the win. Just cannot not love the BOV sound.
Regarding number 4, after sales, just check VW Malaysia FB page. They suck badly.

[/COLOR]If want even more power, MAZDA 3 MPS
This car can't take a lot of beatings wor. :\

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
item 3 is the most concern thing I wana know
Item 3? FD2R has a super reliable engine, K series.. used in...
Civic Type R
Accord Euro R
Integra Type R
Acura RSX-S
Civic Si
Accord
Stream
CRV
Integra Type S
Acura CSX
Acura RDX (turbo)
Acura TSX
Element
Spirior
Crosstour

The amount of cars sold using the K-series engine is... like, more than half of Honda's total worldwide sales. If the engine got problem Honda can close shop already.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Do keep in mind that the DSG gearbox in Volkswagen has been infamous for causing a lot of trouble. The cost to replace one is sky high as well. However, the Golf GTI is more comfortable and practical as a daily drive car than the Civic Type R. Another point to note is FD2R only uses RON97 petrol.

If you're thinking about resale value, in my opinion, I think that the FD2R had a better resale value in long term. With the infamous DSG problems in VW cars, I don't think that will be good for it's resale value next time in the future. For FD2R, just look at the price of those older Civic with B series VTEC engines. They have a respectable resale value for cars with that age.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Curb weight for GTI is 2tonnes.

2 freaking tonnes. That's one heavy ass mofo hatchback. Reliability as long as the mech you go to (if not the official Wearnes workshop) knows what he's doing it's pretty reliable. Special attention to be taken on the FI bits and gearbox. Friends GTI MK6 has lasted her for 2 years and the only thing that broke was her side mirror cover cuz some dumbass motor knocked it during heavy traffic. No stalling or dying problems whatsoever.

Comfort wise - Golf GTI win
Power wise - Golf GTI win
Daily drive easy and comfort - Golf GTI win
Class and stylo milo - Golf GTI win
Jockeys and guards give face - Golf GTI win

Everything else FD2R win. :biggrin:

K-engine Vtektek sound 7000rpm FTW - WIN!
Corner like a god with his ass on fire - Civic R Win!
Awesome interior and Recaros, momo and back support - Civic R Win!
Riceboy and every JDM lover drool worthiness - Civic R Win!

Personally I'd go for the Civic R but I wouldn't say no to a Golf GTI either. Both cars are great and both cars will be expensive to maintain and both cars can be quite fussy with maintenance - but both cars will make you grin from ear to ear whenever you take it out for a spin.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Oh Caveat - even though Golf GTI works with RON95, if you plan on taking it out for spirited driving, it's still recommended to use higher octane petrol.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
I read horror stories on VGM FB page...Day 2 of collection already kena Mechatronic issues. bad bad bad.

Even Polo GTi, Cross Touran got issues. Only model I din read much horror stories is Jetta

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Item 3? FD2R has a super reliable engine, K series.. used in...
Civic Type R
Accord Euro R
Integra Type R
Acura RSX-S
Civic Si
Accord
Stream
CRV
Integra Type S
Acura CSX
Acura RDX (turbo)
Acura TSX
Element
Spirior
Crosstour

The amount of cars sold using the K-series engine is... like, more than half of Honda's total worldwide sales. If the engine got problem Honda can close shop already.
Good point there. Didn't think about it this way before.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

I read horror stories on VGM FB page...Day 2 of collection already kena Mechatronic issues. bad bad bad.

Even Polo GTi, Cross Touran got issues. Only model I din read much horror stories is Jetta
Mostly the 7 speed DSG.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

At about 4.00am this morning, I was awakened by my alarm sounding. Icon on my radiostar showed a break-in. I peeked outside and there it was, a GTi right beside my car, outside my parents house in Kelana Jaya. He looked at me before speeding off. I went outside to investigate. He left a still burning cigarette on the ground.

I could not disable the blaring alarm. Captor called several times and I returned call to report the attempt.

The passenger side door assembly was broken and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience