engine breather hose smokes..

tks84

Known Member
May 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
sifu sifu want to ask your opinion on the breather hose..my engine after driving for a while then back at home, i notice the breather hose coming out some asap not much just like engine oil is hot..fitted with oil catch tank and temp gauge read 50c to 60c.. but i not very comfortable with the slight asap coming out from the breather hose...is it cause by the wap of the engine? or engine trouble..

currently car fitted with oil cooler,gear oil cooler, change all valve seal,gasket top to bottom.. just waiting to change piston ring( car 14 years oil liow...)

but performance still good like a grandfather sitting horse :)

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
what oil are u using sir, and most importantly, did u get it from a reliable source? the reason i asked dis is because, one of my fren bough a bottle of castrol gtx and he also had smoking breather. i was sceptical the source of the oil, and changed to a bottle of oil dat iam confident of, and the smoking was no more.

a classic case of using a much volatile / low flash point oil imo, and fyi a castrol shudnt have a flash point dat low, which showed to me the previous oil wasnt the original thing. at least dats my pov on the subject matter

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Yeah... What type of oil you use? If your engine is that old, consider changing to pure mineral oil if semi syn is giving that prob. Or, is your breather hose lose at any joints o.O ?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
errr..i think u should go and have compression test done....

if piston ring wears out heavily that might be the cause of oil turns into vapour/smoke....

i've seen worst case where piston broke at the ring groove...so compression was leaking into engine bottom during ignition...the engine oil was simply boiled......

*another case of worn out piston ring where the flywheel oilseal popped out of its place 3times....this happens when the stock engine breather couldn't take out the excessive crankcase pressure and popped the cranks flywheel oilseal.....

(1st happen...car taken to wrokshop....install new seal with silicon gasket sealant...install GB and test..the seal popped out again....tested another time...still the seal running away...so the engine was tested for compression and confirmed ring blown) :biggrin:

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
Normally old engine use normal oil ok,no to try use fully or semi as that oil too "cecair" ,u may face problem loss oil,loss power...try 20w-40/50

Teo Kheng Soon

From Facebook
Nov 17, 2010
www.facebook.com
i am using semi 15w50... car old liow...engine lighter.. maybe really lah i try mineral and see... but how long do piston ring last? what are the sign? cause my oil cooler hose burst before then all the black oil flow out...luckly got signal...

Teo Kheng Soon

From Facebook
Nov 17, 2010
www.facebook.com
when car start ater a while then the smoke start coming out...have to use torch light then can see the smoke...naked eye cannot see...but temp gauge reads 50c to 60c...i think better go for piston ring change...or maybe the oil...how ah sifu?

dr_snape_79

500 RPM
Sep 10, 2006
Perak
Are u sure it's from oil? Or may be it's from coolant hose? In view of your car already 15 years, sometime coolant hose can had small leakage. It won't have severe leaking that all of your coolant went off to road, sometime small leaking can show in type of vapour only.
I've experianced once.

Teo Kheng Soon

From Facebook
Nov 17, 2010
www.facebook.com
from the oil...when start car for just 1 min,small amount of smoke or stim start coming out...i think piston ring lah....but i think i go for cheaper war 1st..change engine oil type.. to 20w50 but what brand is good as i drive hard...thats why i have oil cooler,atf cooler on standby ...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
if the oil is of low quality, even an oil cooler wont help much fyi. atf cooler isnt appicable in this matter sir

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
from the oil...when start car for just 1 min,small amount of smoke or stim start coming out...i think piston ring lah....but i think i go for cheaper war 1st..change engine oil type.. to 20w50 but what brand is good as i drive hard...thats why i have oil cooler,atf cooler on standby ...
atf cooler just for transmission only nothing to do with cooling down engine oil temperatures :biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
oil shudnt be vaporizing at idle temperature imo, its flashpoint is much higher then dat iirc