Dear bro's concerning alarm systems

Takuya

Jan 17, 2006
www.blacksnake.com
Dear fellow ZTH bros,I've been browsing through a couple of forums recently and lately,the issue of car thefts concerns me greatly as im currently driving a SGTi with no additional alarm systems,only the original alarm.Im planning to install a new two way alarm system,but im still worried though, will it be enough ?Or do I need a more sophisticated alarm system ? As I study in KL ( Petaling Street ) which concerns me more,and I don't seem to be able to concentrate during classes as im so worried about my car and I really do not wish this to continue,I've heard people talking about the captor device?Is it really useful? Or is it just another of those gadgets where by the theif can surpass it easily?And also is it advised to use the old school gadgets such as the pedal,steering and gear locks? I really do not wish to HAVE to bring my wheels along wherever I go haha. Sorry for the trouble lads,and thanks for your time.Cheerios!

Edit : Can someone enlighten me regarding about what's a cobra or viper?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro, captor is an alarm system. With a GSM piggyback module you can have a tracking system on top of your alarm. Add pedal, steering and gear locks. Add immobilizer and get a good 2-way alarm.

Be prepared to pay for these things thing.. easily will cost you RM3K+ for complete installation.

But unfortunately, nothing can save you from the dreaded tow truck though.

If you have a 2-way with shock sensors, then try to stay within range of the 2-way so you can be alerted if the someone does try to tow your car.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Takuya said:
Dear fellow ZTH bros,I've been browsing through a couple of forums recently and lately,the issue of car thefts concerns me greatly as im currently driving a SGTi with no additional alarm systems,only the original alarm.Im planning to install a new two way alarm system,but im still worried though, will it be enough ?Or do I need a more sophisticated alarm system ? As I study in KL ( Petaling Street ) which concerns me more,and I don't seem to be able to concentrate during classes as im so worried about my car and I really do not wish this to continue,I've heard people talking about the captor device?Is it really useful? Or is it just another of those gadgets where by the theif can surpass it easily?And also is it advised to use the old school gadgets such as the pedal,steering and gear locks? I really do not wish to HAVE to bring my wheels along wherever I go haha. Sorry for the trouble lads,and thanks for your time.Cheerios!

Edit : Can someone enlighten me regarding about what's a cobra or viper?
Captor is a car immobiliser that can be added on to any alarms. Captor has a call centre and when your alarm is triggered, the call centre would give you a call to enquire for any problems or to inform you. Also with this, you can disable the car whereever it is by just giving a call to the call centre and the car would just stop dead. Cost for this is the initial purchase cost and also monthly subscription charges for this service.

Cobra and Viper are brands of alarms such as Radiostar. Getting a 2 way alarm depends on your budget. Radiostar alarms offer a cheaper 2 way alarm solution whereas more expensive brands are like Clifford and Viper which would set you back around RM2,500. Now 2 way alarms have 2 kinds such as the GSM based as mentioned by izso which uses a sim card like a phone and sms or calls you if the alarm is triggered. You send commands to your car thru sms or calling thru this gsm based system. Advantages is that the range is quite unlimited, just as long as there is phone network coverage. The other kind of 2 way alarms works on radio frequency (like your standard alarm too) but it has a bigger remote and an antenna on the alarm module so that the range is further. Effective range for this is about 200m. These kind of 2 way alarm offers a LCD on the remote so that you can visually see the status of the car.

Takuya

Jan 17, 2006
www.blacksnake.com
Thanks for the information bros,but what I would really like to know is your opinion,I mean if you were in my shoes,which alarm system would you go for ? And also,is it really neccesary to go for the GSM service?I mean,im still a student and I really do not intend to invest so much on the system,I guess the max I'll go is around 2k.Lastly,which brand do you guys advise me to choose according to my budget?Thanks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro, student drives a SGTi?? :_: I'm a working class adult and I can't afford that car yet! (well I can but I'm investing on other things.. haha)

For 2K you can't really do much. Get a heavy duty bolted to chassis gear lock, a pedal lock (the kind that's hard bolted to your chassis and hidden under the dash), Radiostar King Eagle and add in a immobilizer and shock sensor. That might set you back slightly over 2K, but peace of mind is better than no peace of mind at all.

If you can afford it, add in the blackjax anti-hi-jacking system too. I hear there's a lot of violent hostile take-over situations with cars. Anti hi-jack is useful in these scenarios. Or just lock your car and wind up your windows more often. :D

Takuya

Jan 17, 2006
www.blacksnake.com
Bro,im sure that it's not that you can't afford it.I mean you're a working dude and im sure you have other things which are more important to commit to and other more important priorities besides splashing all your cash on the car,where as I've got to really say that im really lucky as my parents can afford the carAny how if I were you I sure as hell wouldn't spend so much cash on the car =) haha,how about a budget of 2.5k,how far would it get me? Btw does anyone know any safe parking lots in Petaling Street? Thanks

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Takuya said:
Bro,im sure that it's not that you can't afford it.I mean you're a working dude and im sure you have other things which are more important to commit to and other more important priorities besides splashing all your cash on the car,where as I've got to really say that im really lucky as my parents can afford the carAny how if I were you I sure as hell wouldn't spend so much cash on the car =) haha,how about a budget of 2.5k,how far would it get me? Btw does anyone know any safe parking lots in Petaling Street? Thanks
hmmm.... put it this way, ur Gti costs about RM60k, so if u use a standard alarm, it just does not make sense to use RM300 to protect RM60k asset rite? ;) I'll advise u look into radiostar or viper. I am using viper and i did see the demo by the radiostar people and i am quite impressed. Radiostar functions are 80% similiar to viper and at a very cheaper price.

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
Bro, I`m also in the midst of improving the security of my car. So far, based on what I`ve searched I think the best bet is the GSM based system. At least u don`t have to worry about being in range for any 2-way alarm system to work. That`ll probably cost u around RM2k for a basic SMS based alerting system. U can add the following:

1) ultrasonic sensor that detects physical intrusion to car cabin (RM200-300)
2) tilt sensor that alerts u if ur car is tilted (like in the case of tow truck is being used) (RM200-300)
3) bonnet lock that prevents thieves from gaining access to ur car batt (RM500-600)
4) integrated pedal lock that locks ur pedals without any bars exposed so nothing to cut (RM400)

I`m comfortable with a GSM based system, since GSM based can also give u a rough idea the general location of ur car without having to pay monthly installments (except for the SIM card) but haven`t decided on which model to go for. Hoping to learn more here.

Takuya

Jan 17, 2006
www.blacksnake.com
Hmm thanks mate.Does any of the ZTHers is currently using that system though ? Would like to get some feedbacks on that alarm system.But it sounds pretty convincing that I should get it though

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Takuya,

SGTI is really want of the 'hottest' in the list !! Few fren of mine already lost theirs in KL.

As mentioned by Trex92, you can't really do 'much' with 2K. I suggest you invest on good visible locks (pedal + Steering) and put in additional measures such as fuel cut relay (nicely hidden) and if possible, a mid-range immobiliser (ie..cheetah) within your budget.

With 2K, the most you can get for alarm is low range level if you were to include the above + some additional sensors. Bear in mind that although you get the 'same features' such as 2 way or others of the common alarm, good and reputable brands such as Clifford, Vipers, Crimestopper, Sidewinder...etc is never the same with those 'common', although features might be the same. The code-hopping mechanism, additional module function and logic circuitary design (against theft attempt with short circuit) is different and definately much reliable compare to the lower end brands offering the same features. In short, you get what you pay...simple.

I suggest you top-up your budget to about 3.5K and get aHigher brands alarm to with better module and add in according your budget the following...

1. Backup Siren (against siren/battery cut)
2. Additional Siren (Louder)
3. Tilt Sensor (Against TOW/Jack)
4. Microwave Proximity Sensor (movement inside/near car)
5. Speakerphone sensor (glass brake)
6. Shock Sensor (shock, smash attempt)
7. Bonnet Lock (Lock it !)
8. Fuel Cut relay (so car cannot start !)
9. Immobiliser

and lastly if budget permits later on, a GSM or GPS based tracking module such as CAPTOR ..etc. Of course, from 1-9 is more of a TOTAL SOLUTION but then, the best prevention is still common sense.

Good Luck !

Takuya

Jan 17, 2006
www.blacksnake.com
Thanks for the info bro =) , I think i'lll have to prepare for the inevitable and splash out a hefty load of cash..Hmm btw how much does a set of pedal,gear + steering locks cost? I mean those really good ones

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Don't waste money on steering locks, all steerings locks can be bypassed. Gear and pedal locks are more effective. Better get all of this done soon cuz your car is no joke man.

If you can't afford all 1-9 listed by B18C-R, just do what you can first and finish up the rest later. It's better to have some than to have none at all!

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
GSM the way to go.....2 way.....anyway on this earth as long as u can received phone signal....dat gud enough....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Plucky would be the best description of the Dacia team that’s aiming to tackle Pikes Peak this year but that is hardly the best description for their weapon of choice. The team will be fielding a fully-reworked Dacia Duster that probably only shares the emblem on the front hood with the production model.

Ice-racing star driver, Jean-Phillipe Dayraut, an Andros Trophy champ, will be piloting the Duster up...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience