Advice on suspension

Merovingian

May 8, 2008
Hi guys I'm driving a corolla EE90 converted to blacktop. My use of the car is mostly town with occasional highway rides and hard driving. I want to ask ur opinion whether I should get the standard suspension for ee90 as in from the brand APM or should I get an adjustable one?.. i want to lower my ride slightly and have good grip as well....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
APM will make it really low man. You'll probably start scraping every single bump.

Better with adjustables. Since this is your regular ride, get high/low/soft/hard with body shift so you can adjust the harshness of the ride and still have height adjustability.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
I also like the idea of adjustable, but after the "excitement period" gone, you'd rather stay on the "so called desired setup" and 99.9999% won't have time to re-adjust personally. Tired lifting wheels, jacking up chassis and all.

My advice is to find some friends and check out their setup, costs, I'm sure you'll meet the setup that looks right to you. As for performance, hard to say, depends on requirements, driving skills, etc. so much more.

Merovingian

May 8, 2008
Yea i was thinking on those same lines as well.cause I use my ride for everyday chores and long distance driving. I would love to have the slightly lowered look and still have the comfort. Can any of u suggest the best setup as of yet?... better get a halfcut ae111 suspension or buy a adjustable? Or anything else...

ttom

Oct 11, 2005
Im using TRD Soft Hard with Pedders Spring.....on my daily ride AE111. Its lower abit but with great comfort can go thru bump without any worry.

Merovingian

May 8, 2008
TRD u got from half cut or new bro? Any shop for recommendations? ??

ttom

Oct 11, 2005
u can try pedders springs with ur ori absorber first....get the pedders lowering spring

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Y not try out BC Racing, value for money even ang mo like it! lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yea i was thinking on those same lines as well.cause I use my ride for everyday chores and long distance driving. I would love to have the slightly lowered look and still have the comfort. Can any of u suggest the best setup as of yet?... better get a halfcut ae111 suspension or buy a adjustable? Or anything else...
I don't understand your concerns with HLSH adjustables. If you have bodyshift, then you can adjust the height of your car without compromising spring compression. You won't be adjusting height often so once that's set, that's it.

Then adjusting the absorber Hard/Soft is simple. Mine's just a matter of turning a knob that's easily accessible on the top of the car (in the engine and throw the rear speaker hole. If you have the more advanced ones that comes with a controller, you can adjust it from the comfort of your drivers seat.

And just because they're adjustables doesn't mean it's not comfortable. Don't choose overly aggressive hard springs la. Comfort springs for a Corolla like yours probably 5k front 3.5k rear? Or 6k front 4k rear?

Just make sure you buy high/low/soft/hard. Hi/lo isn't what you want.

And comfort is very relative. Whether you use Pedders, or APM or whatever, if in the end it's too uncomfortable, then you're stuck with those absorbers until you spend more money changing them. At least adjustables are.... adjustable. :biggrin:

But ultimately if you're looking for comfort and rarely or never drive aggressively, stock is the best.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I don't understand your concerns with HLSH adjustables. If you have bodyshift, then you can adjust the height of your car without compromising spring compression. You won't be adjusting height often so once that's set, that's it.

Then adjusting the absorber Hard/Soft is simple. Mine's just a matter of turning a knob that's easily accessible on the top of the car (in the engine and throw the rear speaker hole. If you have the more advanced ones that comes with a controller, you can adjust it from the comfort of your drivers seat.

And just because they're adjustables doesn't mean it's not comfortable. Don't choose overly aggressive hard springs la. Comfort springs for a Corolla like yours probably 5k front 3.5k rear? Or 6k front 4k rear?

Just make sure you buy high/low/soft/hard. Hi/lo isn't what you want.

And comfort is very relative. Whether you use Pedders, or APM or whatever, if in the end it's too uncomfortable, then you're stuck with those absorbers until you spend more money changing them. At least adjustables are.... adjustable. :biggrin:

But ultimately if you're looking for comfort and rarely or never drive aggressively, stock is the best.

i would say 5k front and 3.5k/3k rear....

now my satria (a light car) with 6k front 4k rear is manageable...but would be nicer if using slightly softer springs :driver: and combo with strong ARB.....lotus handling will be reborn on pre-lotusproton :biggrin:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Imo the rates and setting at the end it's all depend to owner personal liking. I might like a Front 10kg Rear 8kg and you might not! My advice is that, go out and know more people that drives same car as yours with adjustable, be friend and have a ride on their car judge your self. Of course everyone here will be suggesting different thing because they found ideal one for themself.

If you are decided to go for local, make sure they have themself in-house master to listen to your requirement and configure accordingly like FTuned.

If you are to go for big brands, claim by many that it is good and you don't have anyone to give you a ride, most likely it is going to be a gamble deal.

Keep in your mind the spring rates is suggested based on car weight, what engine transplant and etc.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Unveiled at the shores of Lake Como in northern Italy, the stylishly Italianized Z4 roadster had its sheets pulled off to reveal the BMW Zagato...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience