ST 150 & AT 151 Corona

hummm... Engine change u must mika jedi...hummm... I can get around 290-300km for rm60 ron97... With frequent sprint tests@ for those who cucuk me...

OMG i think i get to poison my dad to change engine already .. just now he call me and say he at halfcut shop now .. ask me what is the engine that I wanna change LOL !! I choose 3SGE ... duno if he will buy it or not muahaha ... hope he will change for me hehe ... finally .. one whole year of poison only get to change his mind ..

Btw corona_ice, if the fuel consumption so bad then really have to change engine ?

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

My dad came back with a big bunch of brand new parts for my ST171 haha .. rear view mirror, driver and passenger sunshade, and the tail lamp reflector :D

3SGE mr2/celica halfcut RM3000 ... but must buy the bodyparts also .. too bad all is auto trans ... gotta hunt again :(

Hi everyone, a Sarawak Toyota Corona ST171 3SFE manual owner here :biggrin: Got it from my dad, haha. But I guess mine are different from xMika one, mine dont have the long tail-lamp reflector thing on the boot, instead the number plate is there.

Btw, want to ask from the sifus advise here, my car headlamp have been rather dim lately, specially after tinting the windows (JPJ approve legal lvl tint of course), bring it to the mechanic and ask him about it, he advise me to fix relay onto them, should I do this? He quote me the price RM80 I think.

Plus, another problem I have, last time I try to fix a H4 bulb onto driver side headlamp, but the bracket don't fit, I did compare the new bulb and the old bulb and it do look the same to me, but it still dont fit, I was wondering why.

Thx for helping me.

@MCJR

Hello dear ST171 owner ! :D Car headlamp dim already ? I think its the bulb problem .. maybe you can change new bulb already .. ST171's headlamp will not oxidised and get yellowish like the corollas because our headlamp is made from glass, not plastic.

The relay is for what purpose ? Increase the brightness of the headlamp ? Weak batteries can also cause dim headlights ..

Btw corona_ice, if the fuel consumption so bad then really have to change engine ?

3SGE mr2/celica halfcut RM3000 ... but must buy the bodyparts also .. too bad all is auto trans ... gotta hunt again :(
Well it really depands buddy... If ur engine consumption really bad, than sumthin wrong sumwhere... If must do overhaul, skimming and all, than save ur money and time and change ur engine... Get the celica engine coz, u don't want to hv problem for driveshaft... I changed my engine coz the repair bills and petrol consuption was very bad... Imagine 50liters only 200-250km...
1.8 carb...

well the mr2 engine sits at the back of the car, it drives the back wheels only... Celica engines are mounted in the front like ours... The drive shaft on the mr2, is also bigger and when mountin it on front wheel drive car will sit with a slight tilt up if i'm not mistaken... This will coz more strees on the shaft n u would need to replace them much faster... Oh ya but u can also use ur 3sfe gearbox, only ur gear ratio is different... And may end up like me, high rpms on 110km/h cruise... 2o2r correct ah my explaination??

oo ... my dad say wait few more months only change engine .. he went to get a new sets of absorber because leak very teruk edi .. my stupid mech boss told him my engine is still good no need change .. WTF ? High fuel consumption + burning engine oil .. he offer to do top overhaul for RM1K + .. I told my dad the piston ring sets alone also RM1K already .. plus plus need RM2k+ .. might as well buy halfcut 3sge put inside .. guess what, most funny thing is my mech boss say 3SGE cannot fit my ST171 .. mounting different LOL !!! Feel like slapping him zzz geram sial .. stupid old man

Then I guess you better change mech liao xMika, he seriously is zzzz for saying that 3SGE cant be put into a ST171.

Plus, if you did do a transplant, definitely should not find this mech, haha.

Btw, good luck to you bro on getting ur dream of changing to the engine, I'm still stuck with my 3S-FE for a while, because it is still so healthy, lol. Heck, my house Avanza is facing more problem than the Corona, haha.

Then I guess you better change mech liao xMika, he seriously is zzzz for saying that 3SGE cant be put into a ST171.

Plus, if you did do a transplant, definitely should not find this mech, haha.

Btw, good luck to you bro on getting ur dream of changing to the engine, I'm still stuck with my 3S-FE for a while, because it is still so healthy, lol. Heck, my house Avanza is facing more problem than the Corona, haha.

they don't make cars like they used to anymore:smokin:....car are having shelf life like fresh milk... i think cars will only last ten years...after that start giving lots of problems...

well mika like what mcjrc said, i wouldn't trust ur current mechanic to do a conversion coz he doesn't want to accept that 3sfe and 3sge are the same base! i guess if 2o2r and myself open a workshop, we'll be making tones of money!:biggrin:
http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+Celica+2+0+ST183+3SGE+Engine-6418287.htm
u might want to check and see this guy, y so cheap!

202r, could i use this header???http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+3S+GE+Engine+Racing+Header+Extractor-6983672.htm

Last edited:
ya, true, they dont make car like they use to be, my friend family Avanza already leak black oil after 5 year of use, although it 100k km already, haha, more than my Avanza by twice the amount.

Anyway, about my headlamp, the mech told me that it not due to the bulb, mostly due to the wiring I guess, so he was thinking of installing a relay or something that connect my headlamp directly to the battery, but I'm still thinking about fixing it or not. Though I can honestly tell you that my car currently is unsafe to drive at night due to the dim light. But lucky I never drove the Corona much at night, because of it low body, I usually get blinded by oncoming light during the night. Those modern car lately sure have damn high headlamp light.

Thinking about the T150, I always get to see an orange T150 with full set of disc brake for the front and the back at the mech shop that I always visit, but it just lying there full of plant growing on it, a pity every time I look at it.

Anyway, about my headlamp, the mech told me that it not due to the bulb, mostly due to the wiring I guess, so he was thinking of installing a relay or something that connect my headlamp directly to the battery, but I'm still thinking about fixing it or not. Though I can honestly tell you that my car currently is unsafe to drive at night due to the dim light. But lucky I never drove the Corona much at night, because of it low body, I usually get blinded by oncoming light during the night. Those modern car lately sure have damn high headlamp light.

well bro, if fixing relay, should cost only bout 20-30 ringgit... try and see... if no difference, don't pay...

mixa: i think sumtimes, this people sell cheap cos they got no space to keep... try call and see...

Hi MCJRC1899 & welcome to the thread.

Your mech may have a point there by asking you to fit the relay set. It's not just a couple of relays, it's comes with a set of wiring as well & it costs about RM 80. That is, if your problem is with the old & tired wirings but it may also be the cause of the lamp reflectors as well, you know. If the reflectors are no longer shiny, no matter what relay or bulbs you fit, will not do you any good. So check your reflectors first & make sure there're shiny before you fit the relays.

XMika,

The MR2 halfcut will not be a good choice coz of the wirings will all be too long for your car. The dashboard is at the front & the engine is in the rear in the MR2, get what I mean ? The emblem on the throttle body will also be "terbalik". The driveshaft will only be an issue with the turbos & BEAMS model. the rest is the same.

If your mechanic says that the 3S-GE can't be fitted into the ST171, I think you had better find another mechanic to do your car !

I'm not surprised if the 3S-GE floor engine is selling for RM 400 coz not many people knows what to do with the engine (yr mech is 1 of them) & without the complete wiring & ECU, what do you want to do with it ? The condition could also be terrible & probably that's the reason the owner changed the engine in the first place, right ?

Corona_Ice,

The header looks modded but I'm not sure if it fits yr model; most likely, not. Look at the header flange, it's joint & the bottom flange is not stainless steel.

Yeah .. my mech boss also dont want to help me do engine transplant .. too much work i think .. and takes up time and space and also human power .. his garage is big .. but got around 6~7 mechanic only .. if work on my car den other business no need to do already .. no wonder so many excuses dowan to help me do transplant ..

Btw, where you guys did the engine transplant ? Can intro to me ? Maybe can get a better price if you guys intro to me haha ... my mech boss sure make the price very expensive ..

Is the MunLee auto parts halfcut shop good ? In puchong ones .. very big garage lo ! But duno about the pricing for 3SGE .. later try to call them and check ..

Thx for those who reply my relay issue, now I'll really consider it thoroughly, and check on the other advise I get, which is about the reflector.

Btw, guys, I always been wondering something about the Corona that I never able to get an explanation for. The question is that how come Corona dont seem like such a famous model among the japanese car of the 80s and 90s. Because even though we can see a lot of Corolla and other type of japanese sedan frm that era, but Corona always seem to be rarer than those other car. Plus, if we say that our car are Corona, not many ppl in Malaysia know Toyota even have this model.

Last edited:
Thx for those who reply my relay issue, now I'll really consider it thoroughly, and check on the other advise I get, which is about the reflector.

Btw, guys, I always been wondering something about the Corona that I never able to get an explanation for. The question is that how come Corona dont seem like such a famous model among the japanese car of the 80s and 90s. Because even though we can see a lot of Corolla and other type of japanese sedan frm that era, but Corona always seem to be rarer than those other car. Plus, if we say that our car are Corona, not many ppl in Malaysia know Toyota even have this model.

Before we had Camry in M'sia, the Corona was the top of the line in the Toyota & it was more expensive than its counterparts like the Honda Accord, Nissan Bluebird & Mitsubishi Galant due to Toyota being the more favorable brand during that era.My mom bought a Bluebird 1.8 SSS back then after she totalled her Galant Sigma. It had twin carbs, electric mirrors, power window which was considered very advance at that time for M'sian models & it was a fuel guzzler. My mom liked cars too. She buys herself a new car every 2/3 years, imagine that !

The Corolla was a more "economical" model, hence more people could afford it. Just like the Civic & Accord; the latter being more expensive. At that time, most family only had only 1 car for the whole family, unlike nowadays. Having a car was a luxury as opposed to these days, having a transport has became a need.

Last edited:
Because Corona couldn't fight with the Accord anymore .. Honda increased the size of Accord and only the new Camry can compete with Accord .. So they decided to compete with Camry instead .. Now Corona can be considered as the Toyota Crown or Mark X haha .. ya i would like to say Mark X .. My dad bought the ST171 @ RM77k back in 1991 ... not many people can afford ...

Hi guys, I'm back from a brainwashing BTN camp :stupid:.. (Compulsory for all sponsored students going overseas)

Glad to see so much has happened around here..
First of all, I just wanna say :adore::adore::adore: to 2o2r for that 258km/h pic.. Incredible car, and incredible balls to dare to push the car to that extent..:biggrin:
Secondly, glad to know your fuel consumption is so good, bro Shan.. I would assume the car is endorsed already? Congratulations in advance if that's so.. :smile:
Thirdly, to xMika.. Wherever you go, don't go to MunLee.. That place is bullshit.. If you're just driving a normal car (ie. not Drag n Drift/Race look), they'll treat you like bullshit.. Price is bullshit, quality is bullshit, workmanship is bullshit.. Even customer service also bullshit.. Lotsa immitation items, sold at original prices.. Esp you're just a 19 year old car newbie, they'll wanna slaughter you like shit man.. My advise, stay away from that place..
And to MCJRC1899, the relay does work, I installed it in my car when it underwent engine conversion, the lights are really bright, but not too bright (not like HID style) so you wouldn't get into trouble.. I paid 100 bucks for mine, I think. But like 2o2r said, check the chrome in your headlamps too.. If the chrome is faded, your lights won't brighten up that much..

I guess nobody missed me, but.. Good to be back..:biggrin:

Last edited:
Ohh ... helpful advise from ragerunner ..thanks :D

Any recommended halfcut shops that treat their customer well ? :p And with reasonable pricing ?