Removing Catalytic Converter

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

shauqi_wax123

Apr 2, 2010
ALor setar
Hi to all Altezza Gurus..

I was just wondering whether is it advisable for me to remove my cat converter?..My car is actually a Lexus IS200 which i brought back from UK and in UK it is some sort of a 'must' for cars to have catalytic converter.

I've read somewhere on the net that if we remove the cat converter, our car will response more coz the gas will flow 'freely' instead of need to flow through the cat converter before flowing out. Is this true?..

Can anyone please advise me upon this matter?..I'm also thinking of changing my stock muffler to HKS Silent Hi-Power muffler.

Hope all Gurus can help me..TQ

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
If you are not into serious mods to your car, I would advise you to leave the cat converter in place as you would not gain much by removing it. Sometimes it might go the other way.
As for the HKS Silent Hi-Power muffler would be a great add on to your car but at today prices, it might be a turn off as it will cost around RM2.6K for a new unit and you will have to wait at least a month for it to be shipped over.

shauqi_wax123

Apr 2, 2010
ALor setar
tq Guru Greytezza for the advice..yes, as for now, i'm not too keen in modifying my car as the car is only running on 1G-FE..nothing much we can gain from this engine i supposed..anyway, i bought one HKS Silent Hi-Power from a friend tonight at RM300. But, its a used one for sure..but, the condition of it is still ok n the 'sarang' also in good condition. So, as advised, i think i'll just leave the cat con on. No point of removing it as i wont gain much. TQ again Guru Greytezza for the advise..really appreciate it.

Bro Aycy, whats the sound n performance of the muffler like?..is it too loud on the hiway?..tq

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Bro shauqi..none of us here are "gurus"..we are just like you driving similar cars with similar problems. This is a place where some of us that have gone through issues and problems, to share with others the options and solutions.
End of the day, it will be up to the owners to decide the path they want to take.

The HKS Silent Hi-Power is a great muffler with a low bassy hum...I am having it on my car.

eddie taiko, wow price really go up like sh*t now day, last time i pay for around 1.8k only..
Yeah lor Alan taikor...probably becos of the yen exchange rate and not many looking for it. The TRD is even more expensive..RM3.3K..:confused:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello sifus, newbie here :biggrin:

Need some advice regarding mods for Civic FD

Here's some i need advice on:
1. Exhaust mods (exhaust system, midpipe, muffler, extractor etc.)
2. Spark plugs best fit for FD (HKS, Denso, NGK etc.)

Sifus pls help me which are the better brand to be fitted on my car. I dont have much experience on modding :dong:

Also, i heard that open pod air filters are better then drop-in. Is that true? I might wanna do something on the air intake :biggrin...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience