• Petrol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the tax isnt dat much considering its discounted 50% for a euro 1 (and above) emission engine, and plus if it is dat expensive, it will be nuthing compared to the saving u will get through the year. just imagine a full tank of a hilux can make a return trip kl~alor star, with balance. and dats not the most frugal diesel in the market..

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I think we need to look at the trend from a wider scope not just in Malaysia....now almost all taxis, runs on NGV might still have a few running petrol and diesel...buses also running NGV and diesel...

The price difference of Diesel and RON95 is 10cents to be exact but I use RON97 most of the time and use RON95 for MyVi and Saga...but the km/l I get out from diesel is more....I know this because I owned many cars from petrol to diesel..from 1.0L all the way up to 2.5L....

Just take example 1.3 Myvi I can get good km/l in city driving...but if I hit the highway....not good especially long distance....while for diesel city and highway driving I can get really good km/l. Just give you an idea how much diesel I only use going from Nilai to Cameron, drop by Ipoh then back to Nilai...I went with a full tank...I only refuel once on my way back at the NS highway Petronas station after Nilai toll...

Now I have added 2 Hybrids into my garage...and of course the Lexus and Prius sure have better km/l than my diesel....then in my 2nd place is the pickup....for the petrol it has to be the 3rd place....

I know how much I spent on fuel for my cars because my home minister do our house accounts on a monthly basis.

before I own a diesel..I also very skeptical about diesel one....hear ppl say not good la, service expensive la, have more problems la..this and that bla bla bla....but after I owned it myself it opened up a whole new scope.....

I believe maintenance is important to keep any car at good shape be it diesel or petrol....if a diesel engine is maintain properly it can perform very well also.....end of the day, to buy a diesel or petrol you need to see how's your driving mileage.....a lot of long distance and very frequent travel..diesel will be my choice....if short driving and very seldom use the car then petrol because diesel if you put it stagnant for too long it will absorb moisture....

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Joe - well said. Your elaborated views on diesel are purely based on your personal experiences through owning diesel powered cars. To be honest, I myself was a skeptic when it comes to diesel cars. After sitting in one, I decided to get one. Yes, the diesel car prices are lower than petrol powered ones but it works towards 'believers' advantage. Yes, these cars failed bcoz of bla bla bla.. the thing is, the ratio of diesel car owners to petrol car owners are low. Not many own diesel, so when some of these breaks down they are deemed to be a majority. However, looking at some break down cases, these are highly due to the fact that they are used to the max and when wear and tear kicks in - some of these owners tried to save a few bucks here and there and service it way beyond recommended figures. Hence - issues arises.

I bought myself an M Spec-ed E90 320D. I never looked back since. Performance wise, it's on par with an F30 328i and fuel consumption wise, on city driving 600-650, outstation 1200-1300km per tank. I pump RM 101.00 of diesel for full tank.

It may sound a bit louder than its petrol counterparts but hey, it out performs them in all aspects.

As for maintenance, it's covered by BMW for 5 years. Even if it's not, well, from what I know, oil filter is about RM90-110.00 , it needs 6 litres of engine oil and diesel filter costs RM180.00. Yeah, is it expensive to maintain? it's up to u folks to decide.

As for resale values, tell me - which car does not depreciate? Want a car that doesn't depreciate? go buy an AE86 or a Corolla KE70 with 4AGE inside. It will never depreciate, or better still - go buy a house or some property. The value will only go up (for now).

vspec

Rookie
Oct 9, 2005
Tehran
My 2.5L diesel can go up to 600km for highway and maybe around 500km for city driving. For me that is a good mileage I can get with one full tank.

As per ratio mileage:service, I'd say it a bit cheaper compared to the petrol vehicle since I got better mileage/liter.

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Why settle for a 1.6l small sedan (Polo Sedan) when you can get Hilux 2.5 VNT for the same amount of money? With current mileage that you piled on your current ride, the diesel higher cost won't matter much in 3 - 5 years time..... plus you get a bigger boot
Heard this conversation between my boss and his expat friend huhuhu

* he has a point though *

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
i think its depend on your right foot.....if u ar heavy right footer petrol or diesel it dosnt make any different..heheheh

vspec

Rookie
Oct 9, 2005
Tehran
i think its depend on your right foot.....if u ar heavy right footer petrol or diesel it dosnt make any different..heheheh
Sorry bro. I kinda disagreed with your opinion on the diesel powered vehicle. I did whacked my 2.5L but it still can give me way better mileage than my petrol car. We're talking "stock vs stock" here since my 2.5L is stock on the engine except rim and suspension.

Even when I whacked the diesel, for town driving, it still give me close to 500km mileage. I'd say around 470km. For me, that is still good mileage/litre.

But again, as I'm driving a pickup that almost 2 feet from the ground, I really don't pushed/whacked the pickup to the limit. As for the cars, maybe you can refer to BH since he got the experience.

Just my 0.00000007. Cheese. :biggrin:

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Diesel hands down. Those that owned and drove both types would know :)

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Then again, diesel doesn't seems to be very good to the environment compare to petrol

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Most of the talks are about getting good mileage....

Maintaineance, huge losses in cer depreciation, regular breakdowns due to incompatability of our low diesel grade with the euro engines
seems to have been swept under the carpet!

Well you all can see for yourselves....

What is the use of saving RM500 a month or RM6,000 a year when your diesel car depreciate like near junk about RM60,000 to RM 100,000 a year!

Now this you do not need a calculator !

hahaha1....:rofl::dontknow::stoned::boxing::motz::embarassed::thumpdown::thumpdown:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't buy a car based on its resale value.

I buy a car that I like driving. Which is why I'm still driving my humble Wira. If I can't afford the car I want then I won't change.

Screw resale value.

steven7810

mivec user
Oct 12, 2004
kuala lumpur
bro...i stick to diesel engine because the torque is high and is turbo... actually i the sales person in car line...
like peugeot 508 2.2 dieselturbo torque are 450Nm hp 204..my customer feed back say can run 1000km plus minus...
road tax rm559 insurance rm5295.20 is depend on the sum insured..

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I don't buy a car based on its resale value.

I buy a car that I like driving. Which is why I'm still driving my humble Wira. If I can't afford the car I want then I won't change.

Screw resale value.
Yeah you are right....

Since most posts here discard the high depreciation value (big amount of money lost), the high repair bills and maintainence if diesel cars as compared to petrol cars then i think we should change the topic to....

WHICH CAR CAN GET BETTER MILEAGE? PETROL OR DIESEL CAR?

I think by changing the topic, then we can align to suit the zenthian remarks as to their taste otherwise either the thread starter or those commenting on post are made to look like a fool...

Usually they are always right, i am always wrong, so do the official balls carrier of the bosses fren!:itsme::biggrin:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Lesley, come on....no need to change topic it's a free forum here just different views only.......I've already given you my experienced based on owning a real diesel car...not just information from a paper or brochures...break down like you say....I've posted earlier....I've NEVER EVER had a break down when on the drive or serious whacking....so it's a point that I've given....and the repair bills...high as you said...to me its pretty much the same as my other petrol car just that the Fuel filter is more expensive. Maybe to you 150 is expensive...I don't know la..different ppl have different perspective towards how cheap is cheap and how expensive is expensive...

You said, our diesel fuel in Malaysia is not good there's always additives to clean the engine like 2T oil...or some other additives....when I was working in Toyota those Ninja King with Diesel or Pajero...Toyota put in additives during oil change but with customer permission...even Nissan also ask...

Not being personal here or helping my fellow ZTHians, not because I know BH or Tom then I give biased views....You started the thread asking for opinion and I gave my opinion from my experience then you seems like being personal with god knows who which agrees that Diesel is in terms better than petrol in some areas....I have both petrol and diesel cars but you don't see me bash the shit out of petrol saying how bad it is don't buy them....there's always pros and cons between the 2...that's why in my earlier post I gave suggestion to those who should get diesel and those who should get petrol...I post based on facts....not just shout words out from thin air.

Depreciation side, It don't bother me much because I'm not under utilizing the vehicle....then again back to my previous post which I mentioned if the vehicle is use less than choose a petrol.....I have friends driving W212 (End 2010) 3L V6 Diesel and F10 (Mid 2011) with Diesel....they are frequent long distance traveled cars and they didn't have a break down....I've seen their mileage just yesterday...both W212 144K mileage and F10 138K mileage....I also asked them if the maintenance was high they also said not really expensive (but diff ppl diff perspective)...both also ex users of these 2 EU brand but with petrol engines....

Lesley, I don't know what grunt you have inside you but....when 1 decide to debate or discuss a topic...emotional stuff should be put aside and the mind should be clear....discuss the matter like an adult....also no one here is carrying another person's ball....

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Some good readings material

Why diesel

HowStuffWorks "Diesel Fuel"

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Seriously bro Lesley, you got to give it to TitanRev, you can trust what he said. He has a lots of experience in cars and the number
of cars he had driven? Is more than the diapers you had changed when you were a baby...

Just a saying...:top:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Sifu Titan gave direct ownership experience, what more can you ask? You claimed depreciation and frequent breakdowns with diesel, do you have experience to back that up? What sort of repairs have you experienced? How much resale value have you lost? If you do, please share.

Anyway, I'm with Izso ( I always have to check the spelling, always confused one...haha), screw resale value. I choose a car based on needs and wants at that moment, not based on something that I can't control like resale value at who-knows-how-many-years down the road.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I am currently working in the automotive industry. I have come across this business called car sharing service and a company called Zipcar has been successful in the US. There has been a growth of car sharing services in the US, Europe, Japan, and Singapore.
The underlying concept behind car sharing service is the fact that there are people who want to drive their dream cars without actually owning them. When someone owns a car, he or she has to bear the costs of ownership in the form of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience