Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Some diesel powered car owners are saying that their cars are very economical to run...

Petrol powered car owners also saying that their cars are cheaper to run...

In terms of "REAL ECONOMY" meaning the cheapest car to run for say 5 years or so....

Which do you think is?

And why ?:driver::idea::proud::burnout:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Yay! like dis discussion already!

If following European's forum, they say diesel's ROI will be sooner than hybrids (petrol gak kan hehe).

IMHO, the deterrent for us here in Malaysia is our tax which based on cubic capacity. rarely we seen diesel less than 2 liter. Renault Kangoo 1.5 diesel plak is kinda rarely seen for personal ownership.

What I'd like to read is on the service cost between these 2, then hopefully we can get more meaningful comparison rather than relying on FC and roadtax alone

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yay! like dis discussion already!

If following European's forum, they say diesel's ROI will be sooner than hybrids (petrol gak kan hehe).

IMHO, the deterrent for us here in Malaysia is our tax which based on cubic capacity. rarely we seen diesel less than 2 liter. Renault Kangoo 1.5 diesel plak is kinda rarely seen for personal ownership.

What I'd like to read is on the service cost between these 2, then hopefully we can get more meaningful comparison rather than relying on FC and roadtax alone
Since many favoured diesel as an economy car....

Well i guess diesel cars car more economy then...

No news from petrol cars owners?

Are they paying through their nose by using petrol driven cars?:bawling::itsme:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
diesel, my friend in UK sporting a mk5 2-door golf GTDi..torquey monster

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Since many favoured diesel as an economy car....

Well i guess diesel cars car more economy then...

No news from petrol cars owners?

Are they paying through their nose by using petrol driven cars?:bawling::itsme:
Well I have never own diesel car before cuz never find any which I like as well. But the trend seems to go more toward hybrid cars than diesel. CMIIW though.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
The efficiency of diesel technology is fast closing on electric hybrid. It is still very promising compared to electric which is very primitive and short range.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If compared km per RM i think diesel is slightly advantaged

But if compared the overall cost incurred for the used of the petrol & diesel cars,

I think petrol powered cars championed without doubt !

What is the use of saving couple of hundred bucks when at the end of tge day you need to do RM thousands of maintainance repair and service the diesel engine?

You all know how is the quality of our local diesel, and the compatability of our local diesel to the Euro 3 engines...

Also dont forget to add in the high insurance and roadtax...

Also dont forget to add in the cost of frequent breakdown of diesel cars locally...

Also dont forget to add in or rather discount down the second hand value of the diesel cars....

For example a Merz W211 E270 if compared to the Merz W211 240 the value if compared same year for one petrol unit, you can buy one and a half diesel unit.

So the owner of the diesel unit suffered vast losses in terms of the its value..

Yet do you think its really economy?

Had he saved more than the vast depreciation to cover his losses on the value? :stupid:

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Diesel cars wins on better mileage & torque no doubt but lost in term of maintenance & car value depreciation...with our current Euro3 diesel, maintenance is more frequent than normal petrol engines because of diesel quality here...

So which one u choose? better mileage but need to pay more? or so so mileage but didn't hurt ur wallet?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Still since now we have hybrids, I would go for Hybrids even though Diesel saves fuels...but Hybrid can do the job now.. :smile:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i'll pick TDiesel car than TPetrol car if our tax structure were not this idiotic

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Diesel fo shizzle yo nizzle, bizzel.

*insert rant bout Msian diesel & car prices here*
<insert rant="" bout="" m'sian="" diesel="" &="" car="" prices="" here=""></insert>

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Diesel...nuff said....I have had 2 diesel pickups...Storm stolen and the current Frontier as workhorse and heavy duty work....1 full tank I can go like 600+ km...my truck is running an aftermarket air filter with a custom full exhaust and boosting 1 bar, I change the shocks to Gabriel Ultra stiffer rating....current mileage is 167,210km...never did any major service or break down...

Normal service only cost me around 150 for engine oil and oil filter...major service including rear diff oil, trans oil and the transfer case oil...less than 400....fan belt, alternator belt, less than 100 can get...running on timing chain so no timing belt to change....fuel filter only change once...IIRC the price was a bit more expensive compare to cars forget how much was it...fuel injector service once (cleaning),

Tires, I change to 245/60 cost about 300/pcs...It's Yokohama Geolander HTS...

From my own personal experience of owing it for more than 5 years now...I have never ever been failed by this truck SERIOUSLY...the power, torque and responsiveness of the engine is something you couldn't get from a normal petrol engine...i go up mountain down the sea with this car during my period of owning it...the most I like is going up hill roads, Fraser, Genting, Cameron...no need turn off AC just whack all the way up...all the petrol cars really no match and have no choice but to give way....except those high power ones la...Hahahaha....The best part, I've hauled several times 600kg (1 pallet of goods) to KLIA and sometimes Port Klang and can't find any sign of underpower....If you ask me, do I spend a lot to maintain it...NO...it's just like owning a petrol car...does it break down a lot.....er...it never break down....diesel engines are very tough you know..especially the engine block because they are built tough to withstand the super high compression of diesel engine..16.5:1...

Now I drive petrol car and diesel also...I'm having a 2.4L petrol car...and still I complain that it feels less punchy than a diesel....I've been to Europe for a lot of times and you will know why over there their sales of Diesel car is way better than petrol....and they seems not too fond about Hybrids....Diesel technology these days are moving very fast ahead.....is just that Malaysia still can't get into the trend...just look at the Ford Focus Diesel....partly also due to the diesel fuel here...

Hope this info is helpful to any interested future diesel owner....

Last edited:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Diesel cars wins on better mileage & torque no doubt but lost in term of maintenance & car value depreciation...with our current Euro3 diesel, maintenance is more frequent than normal petrol engines because of diesel quality here...

So which one u choose? better mileage but need to pay more? or so so mileage but didn't hurt ur wallet?
20 years back yes!

Diesel is KING OF THE ROAD !

Those days diesel was about about half price of petrol cost as per litre

Today....

Diesel is only mere 10 or 12 cents cheaper as per litre...

BTW taxi drivers especially outstation taxi drivers also shook their heads and given up diesel cars some 15 years or more ago...:bawling: