Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
Had a good labour-day weekend. Ended up testing a:
  • Used Clio RS
  • Used 308
  • New 208 Puretech
  • Recon Mustang Ecoboost
  • Friend's Fiesta ST
Gotta say, leaning alot more to the Mustang. I know some will say, "wadahell kinda comparison is that, some performance car, some hatchbacks, some coupe, some 90k some 300k". I understand, but i was never comparing the performance, more to the feeling and emotion it invokes. Gonna wait for those EcoBeasts to depreciate a little bit more. Anyone got any experience with Eco-boost Fords? I know the parts and shared among the Focus & Mondeo.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Amongst those cars personally I'd just go for the Fiesta ST for reliability and FC. was the Clio manual or auto?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
wanna take the leap and pickup a new 308 or Clio RS
Speaking from experience I'd recommend the Clio RS over the Pug for its hot hatch qualities. I've driven the older 308 Turbo for a brief moment and I have to say it's kinda soft in every way, not to mention the primitive transmission. The new one might be better but i'd still lean towards the RenaultSport. I've sold it after 2 years and still got a soft spot for it. I've taken the RS to south of Thailand twice and in my time with it, never had any major problems. Other than the wind noise issue from the front windows which was fixed soon after by the manufacturer.
Other than that, the Dry DCT box is decently quick and virtually clockwork in motion. It's no where as super as the DSG but still attractive in its own right. There's a Malaysian RenautlSport owners community on whatsapp that's pretty helpful for troubleshooting, tuning and parts source so that's good, although they are more Megane RS owners in there.

You could consider the Megane RS250 as well, awesome car, super fast, almost untouchable in the hot hatch circle. Prices are hovering the 100K mark as well

Reactions: YEBWOY27

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
  • Used Clio RS
  • Used 308
  • New 208 Puretech
  • Recon Mustang Ecoboost
  • Friend's Fiesta ST
Gotta say, leaning alot more to the Mustang. I know some will say, "wadahell kinda comparison is that, some performance car, some hatchbacks, some coupe, some 90k some 300k". I understand, but i was never comparing the performance, more to the feeling and emotion it invokes. Gonna wait for those EcoBeasts to depreciate a little bit more. Anyone got any experience with Eco-boost Fords? I know the parts and shared among the Focus & Mondeo.
Okay, the Mustang is pretty far off the initial choices but happy to know you're considering one although I have only tried the 5.0 GT. what's the retail for it now?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Amongst those cars personally I'd just go for the Fiesta ST for reliability and FC. was the Clio manual or auto?
The Fiesta is another Solid buy, It's definitely the funnest car within this topic, manual operation is good although it's a tad too compact and spartan for my liking.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
  • Used Clio RS
  • Used 308
  • New 208 Puretech
  • Recon Mustang Ecoboost
  • Friend's Fiesta ST

Dude.....I nearly fall off the chair when i saw "MUSTANG" in your list......:rofl::rofl::rofl: Not only the gap difference in pricing and performance, but also looks and car category....Some sporty hatchback to Sports Coupe.....Hahhahahahaha.....

Since you have the STANG in your list....I'd say go for the STANG.......:rock::rock::rock:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Those fords arent euros. Ok cabut

Reactions: Tom and YEBWOY27

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Back when I was working part time at a workshop, I remembered this Audi A4 circa year 2000-2002 came in and asked us to replace all the rubber hoses in the engine bay, but did not ask us for a quote, just terus ask to change. After the job is done I think the total price was like rm3-4k and the owner was pissed. But really the cost really was that high as pretty much all of the hoses are custom molded with special end clips meaning you can't use any universal hoses and crap. I remember the main radiator hose itself was like 600 bucks, those smaller hoses were aplenty with Y joints going to all kind of places.

Also according to my mechanic, don't buy the newer BMW's F10 and above as apparently they are pretty much hell to work on a reliability wise kinda sucks. This is strictly what my mechanic told me and I have no experience with the BMW's.

Personally I am just recently an owner of a year 2000 Volvo S80. RM13k for a D segment sedan with a 2.0L Turbo 5-Cylinder? Yes please!

Reactions: Tom

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
It was a 2012, so no manual option available sadly. It was really intuitive tho, the feeling of the shifts were very mechanical, not sure how to explain it. But i liked it!

You could consider the Megane RS250 as well, awesome car, super fast, almost untouchable in the hot hatch circle. Prices are hovering the 100K mark as well
Thanks Tom. Yes i felt that aswell. The Pugs are a tad soft, the design was very invoking but the drive didn't do much for me. Suprisingly more of a fan of the Clio than the Megane. Megane feels a bit dated. Regarding the Fiesta ST, yes the drive was great, had a good zippy feel to it. Reminded me of my old Abarth. But yes the interior is a tad spartan, Clio was definitely more exciting to sit in.

Okay, the Mustang is pretty far off the initial choices but happy to know you're considering one although I have only tried the 5.0 GT. what's the retail for it now?
I saw the videos you guys did, If god willed it and uncle Jibby changed our Roadtax system, the 5.0 would be my first choice. Alas, it isnt meant to be hahah. The EcoBeasts are depreciating hard, Its already at 265k after negotiating. I'd say in a year? Would probably be below 240k.

Last edited:

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
Those fords arent euros. Ok cabut
Damnit, need to open another topic :tee:

Dude.....I nearly fall off the chair when i saw "MUSTANG" in your list......:rofl::rofl::rofl: Not only the gap difference in pricing and performance, but also looks and car category....Some sporty hatchback to Sports Coupe.....Hahhahahahaha.....

Since you have the STANG in your list....I'd say go for the STANG.......:rock::rock::rock:
Hahahah, life is all about choices! Thanks for the kind thoughts, the prices are abit overwhelming for what you're getting right now. Just gonna let depreciation do its work

YEBWOY27

Apr 24, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
Also according to my mechanic, don't buy the newer BMW's F10 and above as apparently they are pretty much hell to work on a reliability wise kinda sucks. This is strictly what my mechanic told me and I have no experience with the BMW's.

Personally I am just recently an owner of a year 2000 Volvo S80. RM13k for a D segment sedan with a 2.0L Turbo 5-Cylinder? Yes please!
Thanks for the info buddy. Currently driving an F32 BMW, so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way :adore:. Would've loved to check out the 2018 V60, but doubt they'll be introduced anytime soon.

Volvo most reliable were the 240, right? but nowadays seldom see any already.....lol
Maybe when we see Protons sharing the parts, and the prices of spare parts gets brought down hahahah

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The new one might be better but i'd still lean towards the RenaultSport. I've sold it after 2 years and still got a soft spot for it.
So what did you replace it with?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I saw the videos you guys did, If god willed it and uncle Jibby changed our Roadtax system, the 5.0 would be my first choice. Alas, it isnt meant to be hahah. The EcoBeasts are depreciating hard, Its already at 265k after negotiating. I'd say in a year? Would probably be below 240k.
EcoBeast sounds good actually

I never thought it'd drop that quick, low 200s for a Mustang sounds pretty good, just need to get over the fact it's not the V8. Although I think it'll still be pretty nice to drive. I like the down to earth yet modern chassis it has, the stance and size of it.

Maybe ship a new crate engine and tranny in any spec you want? Now that'll be something

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear bro & sis, i am driving 1.8 gsr mitsubishi lancer(Evo 4, 5 & 6 type). i just want to know can mivec LSD gear box fit into my car as i planning to buy it. please advise. thank you.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience