Diy : Superlon Installation

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by netmatrix@Mar 18 2004, 11:36 PM
It is not supposed to keep the bonnet cool. But to supress engine noise. ;) But users found out that it kept the temp sealed inside as well. ;)

Their main objective is to supress sound. Not insulate heat.
oh I see... so then why did Johnson stick the superlon with the smooth side out in the boot? Since the foam is more effective when it comes to sound damping right?

And why would you wanna keep the heat in the engine bay?

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
Grim>>

the material SuperLon's originally engineered FOR hot/cold insulation, working range of -40c till 110c.

but them engineers found out many new ways to use the product as it is also good for:

a)sound proofing
b)vibration absorption
c)car interior
d)ICE application

YES it's highly recommended to use it for your CAI.

it's great to use it in cars cause it:

a)sound proofing
b)keeps heat out
c)keep cool air-con in!
D)with sound proofing the car feels more 'solid'
e)with the soundproofing yoour ICE works better!

evan2000

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
15 ft....wow....got place to do?? i stay in appartment lah...no place....no tools too....

Grim>>>

Known Member
Feb 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
cool.. i'm gonna build my CAI first... ;)

so long never open my hood... dunno if i can get time to DIY :lol:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
NG comments...

1) Dunlop glu isn't mean for hot surface application... will not last long under the front hood. And when the superlon drop, the glue stain looks messy...

2) If the foam surface is facing upwards, it will thends to trap water and subject to rust attack in the long run...

Perhaps some clips and high temp double sided tape works much better?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
1) yes...
2) no, but heard it from one of the forumer.
For problem no (1), actually can be resolve by adding some proper clips under the hood.
For (2)... i still prefer to stick the smooth surface to the hood instead. Open up the hood for over night every time came back from heavy rain can prevent the rust problem kua...

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Well.. I am not sure about the CA under temperature will not last... Maybe I was wrong.

But Stanley, Myself and some others had already had it on for quite sometime now. No problem.. YET... Stanley had it in his Rally/track machine and mine for 'parking under hot sun' haha..

The foam side up with the glue, I don think water can penetrate to get into the foam. Maybe only the side which will dry up lke you said.

The reason why I stick the foam side up as I stated for the hood is so that it is easier to clean. My engine is 21 years old, oil, water and dust will get sprayed up to the hood. With the smooth side down. I just need to wipe it clean compare to washing with brush and all last time.

At the same time, The foam can help me prevent my hood from vibrating that much.

ninja_iga

3,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2003
Visit site
hmm

interesting. But i've no problems AND this is what everybody in the industry's been using to stick SuperLon!

maybe your friend didn't stick it properly? maybe even the surface is not cleaned of dust and whatnots that makes the glue doesn't stick properly also is a major factor..

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
OR..
The glue is not Applied evenly to Both sides (SuperLon and Bonet)

OR..
the Glue was not 'Dry' enuf before applying.

evan2000

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
cool.....but i still dun have place to do leh....atleast need a place where got shade mah.....else so cham....

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
hi JL and Ninja,

mind to share how long have u sticked up the stuff?

was planning for this project long time ago, but was pull back by the mentioned comments. the stuff become cushion at my car's rear boot now haha...

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Originally posted by levin818@Mar 23 2004, 01:41 AM
hi JL and Ninja,

mind to share how long have u sticked up the stuff?

was planning for this project long time ago, but was pull back by the mentioned comments. the stuff become cushion at my car's rear boot now haha...
Mine since Chinese New Year.

Ninja's.. I dunno.. Should be way longer.

I have a friend driving a VAN, he had it in last 3 years... Still ok. But he used those carpet type.. Very heavy...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I'm a n00bi3. just bought a car about a month ago. satria 1.3GLi(M) 2000... i know this may sound embarrassing, but i'm not that good about cars (especially about engines) and am so keen in learning about car. Where can i get knowledge about cars... hopefully for beginners?
Please don't laugh at me... (-_-")... I appreciate your help so much..

THX..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience