Custom vented hood for more cooling ?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Folks, anyone got contact where i can get reasonable vented hood for the E46 ? If i have to, i will need a fabricator to fabricator one from a spare hood i bought.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Folks, anyone got contact where i can get reasonable vented hood for the E46 ? If i have to, i will need a fabricator to fabricator one from a spare hood i bought.

Thanks,
Ken
I thought you wanted low profile? hahaha.. buy the vents off Lazada and give to the fab guy to cut a hole in the hood and mould it in. But before you commit to cutting holes, why not just lift the hood for testing purposes and see if that works. If it works then you know for sure it's just a venting issue and start chopping that hood.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I thought you wanted low profile? hahaha.. buy the vents off Lazada and give to the fab guy to cut a hole in the hood and mould it in. But before you commit to cutting holes, why not just lift the hood for testing purposes and see if that works. If it works then you know for sure it's just a venting issue and start chopping that hood.
Hehehe, i am going for low profile and functional venting. I can go with another style of venting as long as i can draw the hot air out. We actually drove without hood once at very fast RPMs, temperature stays still ! Therefore can quite confirm we need some vents on the hood.

Thanks,
Ken

Reactions: Izso

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well said, lots of coolers need to be installed then if i want to drive like i stole it. For now i only able to drive it hard for short period of time before seeing the temperature creeps over mid point.

Thanks,
Ken
Turbo engine need oil cooler, my stock VR engine already equip with one......

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hehehe, i am going for low profile and functional venting. I can go with another style of venting as long as i can draw the hot air out. We actually drove without hood once at very fast RPMs, temperature stays still ! Therefore can quite confirm we need some vents on the hood.

Thanks,
Ken
Not only the hood, even my forester comes without the plastic engine cover. Seems it keeps the heat in......lol

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Turbo engine need oil cooler, my stock VR engine already equip with one......
That is effectively bringing the engine oil down right ? Just curious, how come stock 1JZ didn't equip with oil coolers in the Crown halfcut i bought.

Not only the hood, even my forester comes without the plastic engine cover. Seems it keeps the heat in......lol
LOL stock 1JZ has no cover or whatsoever, not even heatshield on the turbo manifold. Imagine the heat dispersed during high speed runs ...

Thanks,
Ken

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Dear All,

As some of you may know, i just converted a BMW E46 with 1jz engine, due to i am getting more and more familiar with the new characteristics of the car and i have been pushing it a lot. Now i've noticed, whenever i floor it hard and fast, the water temp will raise a little over the mid mark, upon slowing down, it will return to below middle. Have asked the mechanic that did the conversion, he said its very normal because its a turbo engine, when push hard thus will hot a little, plus recently the weather is crazily hot.

With skepticism, asked another mechanic which i never dealt with before, he mentioned the samething as he's thought its quite normal, however, he gave some suggestion on venting the hood and side fender for hot air to exit faster.

Therefore here comes this discussion, how effective is it to vent my car's body parts, or i should just get a low temperature thermostat and call it a day ?

Thanks,
Ken

1- do you still have fully stock radiator and bumper ventipation shroud?(the cover that channel all air straight into radiator)
Usually looks like some plastic plate and shapes that can throw away that have great effect in cooling...
Adding a radiator cooling plate on top of its also help (if there is gaps between radiator and the body frame)

2- does the temp kept climbing all the way to redline? Or it just hover above middle mark?

This is good reason people installing aftermarket water temp gauge to read exact number of water temp.. anything below 98 degree C while travelling at high boost and high speed is ok ish...

As comparison, my car when climbing genting a few time reaching temp 102degree C due to enough speed (short acceleration burst and stuck behind slow traffic)

Another view is..during summer heatwave like nowadays where ambient temp reaching 40degree C, crusing at highways following slow moving traffic in middle lane on hot afternoon also my water temp reaching 96-98degree C... Only when i switch into faster lane to get better air cooling wth open roads, the water temp dropping back to sub 90degree during cruising...

Then my additional effort to reduce that heat management inside engine bay... More ventilation holes! Especially when car is stationary during idle in traffic..the theory is hot air moving up.. instead of forced going down (in stock car air management)...

Opening vents hole up in the bonet is the oreferred method anyway...

But just make sure your thermostat, better coolant, fan and radiator condition is perfect as well as your thermostat...
PicsArt_03-26-05.45.30.jpg

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
That is effectively bringing the engine oil down right ? Just curious, how come stock 1JZ didn't equip with oil coolers in the Crown halfcut i bought.

Thanks,
Ken

Stock oil cooler got 2 types..

1- the usual small radiator type design (air to oil cooler)

2- something does not look like a radiator..but is still the oil cooler... Like the atf cooler that sitting at the bottom of radistor in automatic cars..

3- a cylinder type of thing that usually sandwiched between oil filter and engine block that have small coolant pipe running through it... This is more common on oem turbo car method for cooling the engine oil... As well as continental method of cooling their gearbox oil (sandwiched onto gearbox instead)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

LOL stock 1JZ has no cover or whatsoever, not even heatshield on the turbo manifold. Imagine the heat dispersed during high speed runs ...

Thanks,
Ken
Yup, cool the engine oil.

Older car no engine cover, only the newer ones but seems for forester they removed it, the turbo model stilll have engine cover but it is small and are vented.....lol

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
one noob questions, vented hood prone to heavy rain or heavy splash to the hood ?

usually if the vent location is directly under sensitive item like coil plug and such, there is some blocking panel to avoid water dropping directly onto that...

on my scooby it just falls through the chassis rail... so no problem let it vent directly open

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Helo everyone!!! Just a newbie on car...I got this Mitsubishi Lancer 4g15 12v SOHC with c62 body (A month ago). Engine is still in great condition but it lacks power. I went to the mechanic and had the clutch assy replaced with aisi disk and excel pressure and release bearing. Even the timing belt was replaced and valve tuned. However on long drive, my car jitters on 1500 rev especially during gear shift. Could it be a defective clutch disk?
Another thing, may i ask what could be done in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience