Raised Hood..

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Does any1 here doing this too? or i'm just the only 1.. hehe..

Last weekend i raise my KE70 hood.. not to gain any power.. just to disburse hot air faster..

to my surprise, it seems like my car respond better..

but my AE101 Levin doesn't have this effect b4 and after i raise the hood.. quite weird..

any1 here wanna comment?

Attachments

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
popular mod... becoz it cost nothing and its easy eheh... especially amongst turbo car

maybe u got open pod or 4throttle that u seem to have better response? since before raising the hood and the air temp inside the engine bay is rather hot... when raising the hood and lets most of the hot air out thus cooling the air temp inside, ur intake suck in cooler air instead?

my 2 highly inflated sen....

Does any1 here doing this too? or i'm just the only 1.. hehe..

Last weekend i raise my KE70 hood.. not to gain any power.. just to disburse hot air faster..

to my surprise, it seems like my car respond better..

but my AE101 Levin doesn't have this effect b4 and after i raise the hood.. quite weird..

any1 here wanna comment?

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i best guess is the differences in the engine layout...if i'm not mistaken your RWD KE intake on the driver side and exhaust on the passenger side...so heat disperse better than most FWD layout which have the exhaust in front and intake at the back...as in FWD layout...heat from exhaust still travel to the back of the engine bay before goes out the raised hood...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
the good thing is the hot gasses would out from that gap thus reduce inside hood air temperature so the intake get cooler air....

probably your intake sucking air from inside of engine bay rite???

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
From my experience,as my Kenari L9 turbo intercooler still at top but with no bonnet scoop,i raise the bonnet just like you,i notice the knocking has been reduced and car response better,mainly because of the intercooler getting cooler,just spent about 5bucks to buy washer to space it up,it was a money well spent =)

I open til 1 and a half finger can go in,but this will attract alot of attention from uncle JPJ ~

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I agree with Wilson.

I spent RM2.50 buying those washers and spent 20 minutes explaining to a JPJ fortuner driver why my car was modded the way it was. Luckily he agreed with me that my hood rusted because of water / heat / poor paint job and let me off without a fine and just a warning to remove the washers.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
this also jpj kacau? i mean what is the worst thing that could happen? i feel that jpj should do their homework doing researches to why ppl do this or anything else. i dont know how old is the jpj rules but i think it should be revised time to time.

back to topic, sorry zul kacau ur topic.
this washer that u use, where can i get them? do u diy? i'm not really the kind of guy who car diy, so if i want to do this, where or what type of shop do i go to?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I agree with Wilson.

I spent RM2.50 buying those washers and spent 20 minutes explaining to a JPJ fortuner driver why my car was modded the way it was. Luckily he agreed with me that my hood rusted because of water / heat / poor paint job and let me off without a fine and just a warning to remove the washers.
serious? got warning?.. ish.. ish.. ish..

we need cool air for our engine.. not because of power.. we need it to prevent overheating..

the power is just a side effect :thefinger: hehe

my air filter is not exactly open pod.. i modify it to suck more air than the original intake..

and also i make sure air can come from left & right because this car is meant to go sideways.. :biggrin:

take a look..

Attachments

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
this also jpj kacau? i mean what is the worst thing that could happen? i feel that jpj should do their homework doing researches to why ppl do this or anything else. i dont know how old is the jpj rules but i think it should be revised time to time.

back to topic, sorry zul kacau ur topic.
this washer that u use, where can i get them? do u diy? i'm not really the kind of guy who car diy, so if i want to do this, where or what type of shop do i go to?

i DIY it..

it's easy.. but it has a few important steps to prevent the hood touching ur car body.. don't wanna scratch ur car right?

i do it by myself.. but better if u can get a friend to help..

hmmm.. let me take some pics b4 i post it here :biggrin:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
serious? got warning?.. ish.. ish.. ish..

we need cool air for our engine.. not because of power.. we need it to prevent overheating..

the power is just a side effect :thefinger: hehe

my air filter is not exactly open pod.. i modify it to suck more air than the original intake..

and also i make sure air can come from left & right because this car is meant to go sideways.. :biggrin:

take a look..
wow... i like this statement. if i get a chance to get another car, it'll most definitely be a car that is meant to go sideways... lol..

bro, mind to share how to diy ka? what type of washers n stuff?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
How to raise your car hood.. DIY style

These are the things you need :

1. a few cloth.. an old t-shirt also can..
2. 4 screws.. same size & thread with ur hood screw.. but you need to get a longer one..
3. a few nuts.. this one u need to get 1 size bigger than ur screw.. it's hard to do if u use the same size..
4. an empty can of spray.. or whatever (i'll explain later)
5. a spanner.. of coz..

1st step..

Wrap the empty can of spray like this & place it in between your hood & car body.. make sure it fits tightly.. this will prevent your hood from crashing down on your car..

2nd step..

Open 1 screw & go to a hardware store & get a longer ones.. if your screw is already a long type, lucky you :biggrin:
Also get a few nuts that's 1 size bigger then the screw.. so, it will slide through the screws..

3rd step..

Put the nuts in between the hood holder.. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS 1 SCREW AT A TIME.. as u can see there's 2 screw on the hood.. loosen 1 screw & work on the other one.. the number of nuts determines the height of your hood opening.. tighten all screws once u finish putting all the nuts..

4th step..

Repeat the steps above on the other side of the hood.. clear all your stuff from the engine bay, close it and u'll get this..

Happy DIY-ing

& Gudluck :burnout:

cruiser

Known Member
Aug 12, 2004
From what I know, its dangerous as during a head on collision the hood will end up decapitating the front occupants of the car, now that the hood is raised. Remember the hood is designed to fold up like a reverse V in a collision, in it's original position. Best is having a reverse scoop if the intention is to draw hot air from the engine. Just sharing info, not mocking anyone here.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
From what I know, its dangerous as during a head on collision the hood will end up decapitating the front occupants of the car, now that the hood is raised. Remember the hood is designed to fold up like a reverse V in a collision, in it's original position. Best is having a reverse scoop if the intention is to draw hot air from the engine. Just sharing info, not mocking anyone here.

i understand ur concern..

not a bad info at all..

but i think if it raised & collision happens, the hood will still fold up.. because there're 4 screws holding it.. unless of coz the screws fail on impact.. need to get a set of quality screws..

:biggrin:

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
my pv6 bonnet is lifted too....at 1st attempt i cracked my wscreen damn....perdana is different, cos the bonnet hinges are pointed, so once u lift it till 75-80 degrees, the hinge will press on the wscreen black panel & therefore put force on it & cause the wscreen to crack....
so my solution is cut of the hinges on both sides......

put 2 nuts + washers on each side......gap bout 1".

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

after doin this, my engine temp is lower, did it on my bro in law's wira,
also same result...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
my pv6 bonnet is lifted too....at 1st attempt i cracked my wscreen damn....perdana is different, cos the bonnet hinges are pointed, so once u lift it till 75-80 degrees, the hinge will press on the wscreen black panel & therefore put force on it & cause the wscreen to crack....
so my solution is cut of the hinges on both sides......

put 2 nuts + washers on each side......gap bout 1".

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

after doin this, my engine temp is lower, did it on my bro in law's wira,
also same result...

serious?

the wscreen crack after u put washer & open hood?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

There’s no doubt about it, The Jungle Book is one of those stories that is just simply timeless. It has everything you could possibly want: lovable characters, singable songs, and a dancing primate. But who knew that a bunch of jungle animals and a man-cub named Mowgli would teach us so many life lessons? Not us. But lessons we did learn. Ones like these:

A 3 door...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience