Cooling system enquiry & help needed

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I'm a bit confused after searching through the net looking for bubble removal tank aka expansion tank and reserve tank.

Ok. at this moment I'm sure of the 2 things is that:
1. expansion tank is a tank for the hot coolant to cool down and to remove the air bubbles in the coolant to avoid hot spot in the cooling system. Correct?
2. The reserve tank is to store extra or excessive coolant and the coolant would be drawn into the radiator when needed.

My questions are:
1. Is expansion tank also known as breather tank?

2.Normally we see that cars only have a reserve tank beside the radiator to store extra coolant and there's no expansion tank. The radiator cap is place on top of the radiator.
Now, my car's radiator cap is at the reserve tank but the reserve tank is pressurized. Is my coolant tank a 2 in 1 type..meaning reserve tank + expansion tank ?? :confused:

3. Since my original tank is made from hard plastic and the cap is also plastic with some valves on it. The cap is starting to leak coolant when I drive the car hard or during hot weather. Can I buy an aftermarket expansion tank and use it as a reserve tank. With both function of removing bubble and also act as a reserve tank.

Yes, some might say I can just replace the cap but I don't know how long will it last and the reserve tank is made of hard plastic, it very hard to see the coolant level because it's not transparent it's opaque already and the car is 10 years old. fear that the tank might fail during driving.

constructive comments and suggestion is highly appreciated. Thank You.

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
Is time to change EK liao:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Y not just swap a aftermarket aluminium radiator since you have mentioned the current were made of hard plastic 10yrs ago? so you can drive at ease? even if you change/add a expansion tank, the 10yr old hard plastic will still not last long under hot weather...

My old E34 radiator is aluminium (i assumed lah:biggrin:or any kind of metal) it have not failed me but the plastic piping burst due to heat and pressure... So to play safe, change all to aftermarket one gua...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Zac, the leaking is not at my radiator but from the reserve tank. I'm still looking for aftermarket radiator but it's not easy to find one.

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Oooo... what car is that? so difficult to get aftermarket parts? must be a rare beauty otherwise you won't have mood to entertain it... care to share?

Just suggestion, try change those thing before it's condemned, or else you might facing bigger issue afterwards... a hard-plastic radiator malfunction is just a matter of time... All the best to you and your car...

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
zac:
its a french lion...:biggrin:

TitanRev:
yup after a long time,the plastic reservoir tank will crack due to the heat and the pressure...just replace a new one lar....

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
french lion? peugeot??

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
zac, yup a CBU unit 206 DOM: 2000 so it's quite an old lion already...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A friend has fitted an NGV to his KIA for RM3600, and he expects the savings to payback in 12 months or so (savings of RM300 per month).

Any of you gents have any experience good or bad to share on using Natural Gas ?
Is it worth the bother of carrying a gas tank in your boot (and losing space for luggage)?

Why isn't NGV catching on? The majority users are the taxis,judging by their demand for gas at Petronas...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience