Car Thief Prevention Tips!

Jay5

Known Member
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Taken from the GTI forum, and i hope everybody will take heed on this.

Would like to remind all car owners on this site and those who have recently purchased their beloved vehicles consider following precautions to minimize theft:

1.Fix an immobiliser and get a stoplock steering lock at the very minimum. This is
to deter from your car going missing thru normal hot-wired ignition modes.

2.Change the ignition keyhole to the one that has the lubang-lubang type. This is
to deter starting the car using masterkey or duplicated key from your own car.

3.Park your vehicles public places where there are a lot of passerbys, near lifts,
escalators, the guard house, building management office, open staircases,
entrance and exits of the underground parkings or buildings.

4.When parking in open areas such as meter parkings, turn your wheels towards
the curb. This way, it is harder for those who wants to tow your car away, it
also helps to deter them from trying to steal your rims as you can't open the
wheel nuts.

5.Shift to 1st gear before getting out of the vehicle. This will make it harder for
thieves to tow your car from behind.

6.Park your vehicle inbetween vehicles. Try not to park at the first lot or last lot
where your vehicle is exposed to be towed from the front or the back.

7.Try not to pass your car keys to strangers especially to car jockeys or car
wash places. Always park your car yourself and if possible be around when
send your car for washing. This will help to prevent them from duplicating your
car keys and capture your alarm code.

8.Change your stock alarm to an aftermarket alarm. It doesn't have to be a very
expensive alarm. Just a change to an aftermarket sub RM 1000 alarm is good
enough.

9. When you have enough money, spend on:
a) Shock sensor for your car alarm. This will deter from your car parts going
missing eg rear spoiler, rims etc.
B) GPS/GSM vehicle tracking system like Posse2, OnStar or Checkmate. These
systems been proven to be extremely reliable in cases where your car is
being towed away.

It pays to be paranoid. Just ask any of our members and they can tell you that its worth spending on security systems first before modding coz if not there would be no vehicle to mod with.

Hope this helps!

vernshang

Known Member
May 26, 2004
Visit site
When you park for car for the day, unscrew 4 tires and roll them to your house. Prepare at least 12 pieces of bricks for this action!
screw them back the next morning when u waan to use ur car.

bobkidi

Known Member
Dec 26, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by vernshang@Jan 14 2005, 14:49
When you park for car for the day, unscrew 4 tires and roll them to your house. Prepare at least 12 pieces of bricks for this action!
screw them back the next morning when u waan to use ur car.
wanna do this everyday ka :lol:
better take out the steering like mr bean do :D

p/s: thank for the tips

vernshang

Known Member
May 26, 2004
Visit site
if i live in bungalow with lots of space....i will convert all my tyres nuts to single nut like F1 type then buy the screwing machine like they use in pit stop.

i think best solution is.....buy old old car that no body wants and park anywhere with window unwind...door unlock also nobody steal.

ai~~~~~~~

Slivia

1,000 RPM
Jun 22, 2004
may be can try to park the car face inward (face to the wall or tree or any static objects) with the steering turn 100% & lock it.
it can help to prevent the car tow away. :)

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
Originally posted by vernshang@Jan 14 2005, 17:44
i think best solution is.....buy old old car that no body wants and park anywhere with window unwind...door unlock also nobody steal.
So far with my BW I dun get any attention to it.. probably cuz its an uncommon car and no demand for spare parts.

I got a firend who usually never locks his VW when he goes out and so far, nothign ever went missing... over a few years.

Jay5

Known Member
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Bert+Jan 26 2005, 17:34 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bert @ Jan 26 2005, 17:34 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vernshang@Jan 14 2005, 17:44
So far with my BW I dun get any attention to it.. probably cuz its an uncommon car and no demand for spare parts.

I got a firend who usually never locks his VW when he goes out and so far, nothign ever went missing... over a few years. [/b][/quote]
wut car is a BW? Box Wagon?

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
the best way is.....Pay rm5 per hour for som1 take a look for ur car..... :)
the paid is better than a promoter in shoppin center.... :lol:

Allantansc

Dec 29, 2004
Jay5,
How much will a Immobilizer cost? I am just having a normal car alarm on my wira and a steering lock to lock my gear and handbrake.
What would you advice me to install to increase the security?

Jay5

Known Member
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Allantansc@Feb 1 2005, 01:06
Jay5,
How much will a Immobilizer cost? I am just having a normal car alarm on my wira and a steering lock to lock my gear and handbrake.
What would you advice me to install to increase the security?
allan, an immob costs in the region of RM500-RM800. there are a few types and brands. those that i know of are AutoWatch and Cheetah. They are not local brands. Autowatch works by having to scan manually a tab attached with your bunch of keys before you can start your car.

Cheetah on the other hand works by having a card, yes a credit card size electronic card which should be present before you can start the car. this sounds "hi-tech" but in some situations it would pose to be troublesome. like if someone uses ur car, be it in a car wash, or a friend borrows ur car, even for a minute, you have to pass him the card otherwise the engine will auto shut itself. it scans periodically for the presence of the card.

well either that or u get an alarm system with build in immob. the above are stand alone immobs anyway.

Allantansc

Dec 29, 2004
Jay5,

Thanks for the information. It is rather expensive right. Maybe getting a captor will be good also, for proton cars is about RM1500.
I was thinking to temporary to get another pedal lock.
And also to put the steel plate to all my doors and bonet, so that the theives cannot open my bonet and unplug the battery.
What would you recommend?

Jay5

Known Member
May 4, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Allantansc@Feb 1 2005, 09:48
Jay5,

Thanks for the information. It is rather expensive right. Maybe getting a captor will be good also, for proton cars is about RM1500.
I was thinking to temporary to get another pedal lock.
And also to put the steel plate to all my doors and bonet, so that the theives cannot open my bonet and unplug the battery.
What would you recommend?
that would be a good start. remember you gotta pay captor monthly service fees. it all adds up to even more. but well its up to you... :)