White steel piping

Dec 10, 2013
Went to an exhaust shop today and asked quotation for stainless steel piping. The guy recommended me to do white steel piping, he says its cheaper and just as good as stainless steel and wont rust. Any suggestions/advice?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
those white pipe is metal pipe with thinly galvanised surface.

what you pay is what you get

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
its definitely the cheaper option for exhaust piping, should last you for quite some years, and are used in new cars. nothing much to worry about. Stainless steel is bullet proof, looks better and generally sound sweeter

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I wanted to ask the same question. How does it sound sweeter?

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
sound sweeter something like the sound just crispy i guess..
dont know really how to describe..

for Neekjt91 maybe that shop dont want to do stainless steel cos not enough tool or worry not jadi..
some more white steel easier to weld..

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
all steel rust... including stainless steel only that stainless steel will rust in a very very long time .. depending on grades of stainless steel use, it typically will start only rust from 5 years onward(greatly depending on the environment) , and good quality stainless can last you about 15-20 years easily. sound great right.. but too bad, in exhaust it does not last that long... hahaa...

for piping you mention, so call white piping is actually a very very general naming...

in traditional exhaust piping, white piping should be refer to aluminized piping, which means a type of metal which hot dip into aluminium silica alloy... this is the only material accepted world wide for exhaust nowdays..

how ever in malaysia, white piping can be "cheated" to consumer eye because the pipe is white and not black, the other white it can be cold rolled form pipe or GI pipe which is zinc coated commonly.... this type of pipe sometime easily pass off as aluminized piping especially for people who don know much about metal.....

black piping, is just normal hot rolled metal,... is actually thickest among all... but the easiest to corrode.. if the black pipe last you one year.. the cold rolled pipe will last you 1.5 year and aluminized easily 2.5-3 times the lifespan..... therefore the cost is different... well of course the stainless easily last 10x hahaha....

however there is con as well... stainless steel is usually thinner gauge and prone to crack due to heat...because of it thermal property... and malaysia hari hari hujan ma... so hot cold hot cold splash splash splash... crack lo.....

black pipe tend to give less problem, because... the pipe it self is already porous... so when the exhaust is heated.. it actually breathing through the pipe and there fore it dont crack that easy.... but as for stainless steel.. it very pack and therefore the suddent hot cold make it crack much easier than aluminized does...

regard the sound is sweeter... well.. that is something very personal for some people... but in general... the sound quality is affect greatly by the pipe thickness...

the sound travel through pipe and the quantum is determine by how thick the pipe is, the thicker the pipe is, it take longer time , more energy to bounce behind, which will create a lower, mellower , more bassy sound...
if the pipe is thin, the sound bounce out will be in higher pitch and more crispy...

so the thicker aluminized pipe or thinner stainless pipe generally create little different behaviour in sound for sure....

interesting to see people are so interested in the piping now... i wonder when Malaysian will start explore sound behavior in exhaust system ... i mean beside the straight flow or s flow... hahhaaa.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus out there,

I am currently facing a problem here, I have bought a mazda B8T 210 engine and it is in the midst of transfering it into my mazda astina.

The problem now is, the mechanic is facing a problem to help me lock the by welding the gearbox in order to become a 2wd. He has send to some machining shop but he told me its gonna leak and wont last long. So he say better source for TX3 or a b6 gb.

Please Please Please helppppp! Its been 3 months already.:dontknow:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience