Weird substance inside radiator

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
flush with coke.. my radiator water was super brownish and had some slight gunk in it. after flushing as per link below, and used battery water+coolant as final and til today water is clear. granted the car only moves on weekends and even then not every weekend... but it does get a 10min warmup daily.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=457966&highlight=coke

important note is to NOT use tap water as the final day to day cooling. it can cause rust and gunk.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Wow...need confident. Yup, coke do work as many tried.
My last balls was fix aerocatch hood pin. Sucess tho. lol....

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
flush with coke.. my radiator water was super brownish and had some slight gunk in it. after flushing as per link below, and used battery water+coolant as final and til today water is clear. granted the car only moves on weekends and even then not every weekend... but it does get a 10min warmup daily.

important note is to NOT use tap water as the final day to day cooling. it can cause rust and gunk.
just curious... how much coke did you dump in??
**aright read the thread... pure coke!

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes, I actually did like bro VR2, very simple, but do like bro Izso also good if you want to check your thermostat at once.
Will attempt it if more of these substances came back. For some reason, I cant find traces of it this morning.

dirty-ish, but nah no issues. Been in jams, kl-cameron highlands and back all no issues... my oil temp maxes out at 95 (which is accordingly alittle low infact) water temp never passes 40+% (in my case over 50% is hot)

now about that stuff.... why not just leave over a weekend then check....

*you asked about opening the cap with the engine running, well there should be no bubbles, you will see the water swirling about one the thermostat opens but be careful... you might notice that the water level rises quite abit as it warms up.
Looks like the dirty stuff in your radiator did not affect your radiator performance. Previously mine was dirty and it was okay all these while until now.

You mean leave the car not started up over a weekend and check it again?

It should be fine even with my stock radiator? Mine is not aluminum like yours.

How long did your whole process took?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Looks like the dirty stuff in your radiator did not affect your radiator performance. Previously mine was dirty and it was okay all these while until now.

You mean leave the car not started up over a weekend and check it again?
yep leave it over a weekend tho dont think there will be a dif...

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
It should be fine even with my stock radiator? Mine is not aluminum like yours.

How long did your whole process took?
yes should be fine... my friend who did it, did it on his stock wira radiator.

takes 4-5 hours as we tried to get it done as thoroughly as possible while rushing at the same time.... best to put aside a whole day just to be sure.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
yes should be fine... my friend who did it, did it on his stock wira radiator.

takes 4-5 hours as we tried to get it done as thoroughly as possible while rushing at the same time.... best to put aside a whole day just to be sure.
I see. Thanks for the information. I'll use your post as a guideline when I want to attempt it. By the way, battery water can be replaced with distilled water found in supermarkets?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yup... its not 100% clean, deswai still brownish(but oddly, radiator cap fluid looks good, only the resevour looks brownish).... but compared to when i got it, bolehlah.... next flush will probably repeat~
Got wash reservoir bottle or not? Take out, put some fine sand into it, fill half with water and shake. Not clean, repeat, thereafter clean/rinse properly then fit back.
Reservoir bottle usually dirty if water got dirt. When hot the water comes in, but when cool it gets suck back, however when cooling time dirt settle to bottom of reservoir bottle, Over time it gets more dirty....lol

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I see. Thanks for the information. I'll use your post as a guideline when I want to attempt it. By the way, battery water can be replaced with distilled water found in supermarkets?
Your battery not MF? As long is distilled water can use.....:driver:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Sifus, how about coolant. Which color better?
and extra question. Radiator cap pressure, 0.9, 1.1, 1.3 ?
Should i worry ?, because sard radiator come with 1.3bar cap.
So far hose not yet burst. Or i must get 0.9bar cap as from original specs.

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
coolant i also xtau....

about the caps, their main task is to try maintain a certain pressure at which when reached, will allow the coolant to flow into the reservoir.
the pressure affects your coolant boiling point.

one risk of installing a higher pressure cap on your car is.... im not entirely sure your system can tahan... if your hoses are not in good condition ~pop~

**im also in the mids of figuring out if
1)i should install a higher rating cap
2)if i can buy one of those fake china crap with a temp gauge (i mean i like bling bling alot and its not that exp)

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Your battery not MF? As long is distilled water can use.....:driver:
MF battery. Just asking because Madman posted about using battery water for radiator. Not using the water for battery.

Apparently people say the red coolant from Toyota is the preferred one. Avoid green coolant. That is what I read before over here.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Apparently people say the red coolant from Toyota is the preferred one. Avoid green coolant. That is what I read before over here.
ya know..... i distinctly remembered filling up with RED coolant..... but now..... its green~ dad reckons it was green in the 1st place not red~~ bottle was thrown out. Its one of the mysteries which has baffled me till this day

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
ya know..... i distinctly remembered filling up with RED coolant..... but now..... its green~ dad reckons it was green in the 1st place not red~~ bottle was thrown out. Its one of the mysteries which has baffled me till this day
What? Means your dad switched your red coolant with green? On your 6A12?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi to all sifu,

im decide to put lower arm evo3 (alloy) n anti roll bar evo3 to my Wira. usually Wira 1.5 never tied the ARB on the absorber. so now im running on GAB SS series. so can i put the lower arm evo3 n ARB evo3 that can stick on the absorber. Any advice? does it improve corner n handling?

Advice, advice n advice needed:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience