4G92 gearbox weird sound

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Hi guys

My car produces weird sound when moving in gear, but not when it is moving while free gear (in its kinetic energy). I consult a mechanic and he said this is the problem with the bearing inside the gearbox. I asked whether that can be replaced, and he said people usually just changed the whole gearbox, not just the bearing.

Is this true? Need help. Appreciate your advise. Thanks.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
what kind of sound? If it's a synchromesh problem just change that la. But workmanship and all that will cost a lot which is why people just change GB. I don't know about bearing though

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
it is a ticking sound. the faster the car moves, the faster the ticking. Comparing to change the gearbox, better just change the whole engine (mivec or evo).. but the engine is still good laa.. huhu...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Have you tried changing gear oil? Not that it is related but some gear oils like Redline shock proof are pretty good at 'fixing' (hiding) problems.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
my gbox bearing used to kong on my previous ride, ended up changing to another gbox because
hard to find the bearing, has to be ordered from the states. the costs of 3 bearings + shipping fees is on par with
a used gbox.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

how did i identify the problem?

1 year before my bearings kong, i used to change my MTF every 5k kms together with my engine oil intervals & notice that everytime i change my MTF, its always black.

later after changing gbox, MTF changed every 10k kms & MTF still looks clean.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Ok then.. So i need go to change the gearbox.. :bawling: or anyone has any suggestion?
How much is the used one?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

my gbox bearing used to kong on my previous ride, ended up changing to another gbox because
hard to find the bearing, has to be ordered from the states. the costs of 3 bearings + shipping fees is on par with
a used gbox.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

1 year before my bearings kong, i used to change my MTF every 5k kms together with my engine oil intervals & notice that everytime i change my MTF, its always black.

What do you mean order from the states? Order from US?? Is it that hard to find bearings? Cannot buy at potong shop or spareparts?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Ok then.. So i need go to change the gearbox.. :bawling: or anyone has any suggestion?
How much is the used one?

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

What do you mean order from the states? Order from US?? Is it that hard to find bearings? Cannot buy at potong shop or spareparts?
calculate the costs 1st. get a quotation, then compare, new bearings + workmanship vs recond gbox + workmanship.

yes from the US, its a mitsubishi eterna v6 twin turbo gbox. cos the bearings are not available in MY. if available also very hard to find. i asked 10/10 sparepart shop does not have it. ended up getting an evo gbox instead, much shorter ratio, just swap the internals & using back the ori v6tt gbox housing.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
a used gbox.

If MTF is black, it is burning. I had problems with gear box bearing too, mine the MTF drained out is silvery in color. This is due to bearing grinding against the gear box casing, hence the metal filings which turned the MTF silver. But mine my mechanic manage to find the bearings, but have to send to machine shop to machine back in place.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Can you guys recommend workshops around shah alam that can do the reliable work and diagnose for my problem?

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
vr2turbo, where about your mechanic? is he good?
For me of course okay. If not, I won't be with him, right?....hahahaha:biggrin:

I will pm you his contact, you call and speak to him, or drop in and let him check what is wrong...:driver:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
calculate the costs 1st. get a quotation, then compare, new bearings + workmanship vs recond gbox + workmanship.

yes from the US, its a mitsubishi eterna v6 twin turbo gbox. cos the bearings are not available in MY. if available also very hard to find. i asked 10/10 sparepart shop does not have it. ended up getting an evo gbox instead, much shorter ratio, just swap the internals & using back the ori v6tt gbox housing.
for rare bearing u should have asked bearing's shop (those big dealer for machinery/official bearing supplier) instead of asking sparepart shop...

provided u have complete bearing number code...should have no problem looking for it..... :listen:

perhaps u can give me the bearing code and then i'll try my luck with nearby bearings dealer :hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone knows which workshop around KL or selangor that can remove rust on roof? i know some wira owner faces the same problem as mine. pls dont advice me to change to a new or 2nd hand rooftop as some ppl did. i know thats the best solution but its too expensive laaa. if anyone know any workshop that can do this kind of work n can give gurantee that rust wont come out again, pls do let me know exact location n also the name of the workshop.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience