lousy skill to swap engine

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
1 day i go to a workshop,a customer bring his car n service,after he open his hood,i saw the engine not balance(sengget),how dare the mechanic do it like that,didn;t use some tool to fix it at horizontal level n just put it inside engine bay,this will cause accident since the car was NOT calculate by proffesional n testing,do u guys c b4?

ah_jitt86

Known Member
Sep 7, 2004
home sweet home
Visit site
any pics?

alantan

3,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
kl
Visit site
i've heard form my bro...

he saw a mini transplanted with kelisa engine with a not proper mouting...]

2 mouting holding an engine..and its not properly done

AE80TypeD

1,500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Puchong
Visit site
no need go far, my engine oledy installed senget last time (silvertop).. pai seh.. used it for 2 years and changed driveshaft every 3 months not knowing what the real problem was... until i learned engines 101.

really so hai last time.. know how to drive and tekan2 only.. very regret..

finally made a plate to even out the high side mounting and my current engine is CHUN! no more broken driveshafts and weird problems..

some ppl just make it cincai. in my case i kena con bcoz stupid dunno nuts about car last time, and the bugger oso cincai do bcoz i kenot tell the difference.. by the time i had knowledge it was too late. :( kena rob in broad daylight..

expensive lesson, that one.

Metaphor

Known Member
Dec 16, 2004
under18carbon.deviantart.com
Mind sharing some information on what to look out for when transplanting engines? :)

headache

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Malaysia
Visit site
Originally posted by AE80TypeD@Mar 4 2005, 02:22
no need go far, my engine oledy installed senget last time (silvertop).. pai seh.. used it for 2 years and changed driveshaft every 3 months not knowing what the real problem was... until i learned engines 101.

really so hai last time.. know how to drive and tekan2 only.. very regret..

finally made a plate to even out the high side mounting and my current engine is CHUN! no more broken driveshafts and weird problems..

some ppl just make it cincai. in my case i kena con bcoz stupid dunno nuts about car last time, and the bugger oso cincai do bcoz i kenot tell the difference.. by the time i had knowledge it was too late. :( kena rob in broad daylight..

expensive lesson, that one.
Thanks for sharing your experience. :)
I've always advocate not to swap engines unless the repair to the original cost more that the swap. In the last 30+ years of driving and going to mechanics, I've NOT found anyone that's really professional. Aiyah.... have to always stay beside the car to supervise. That's the sad fact of life in M'sia, lor. :(

buck-7

Known Member
Oct 8, 2004
B.B.BANGI
Visit site
yup, same happen to me. it was a perdana v6 transplanted with a vr4. the mech who did the job said it was ok till i took a rope and span it across the engine bay, look look the left side of the engine was a bit backwards compared to the right side. so he adjusted the mounts. still cannot and the car would go left and right everytime i floor the paddle. sadly this was done by a so called old sifu in the malaysian modifying scene.
in the end, took it back to my regular mech and he was able to source an eclipse mounts. now the car is beautiful.

auxoura

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
err....my engine also mounted crooked.....hehe...
4AGE 16v.. :ph34r:

lol...so i heard its meant to be that way....just want to confirm

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
Typical of many malaysian workshops transplant. Usually they adapt engine into car with stresses on mountings . (This rule is exceptional to those cars with straight swaps i.e. same cars = same mounts )

A lot of engineering has gone into developing proper mounts where calculations on stesses on driveshafts, etc must be taken to consideration.

Custom mounts are sometimes required to be fabricated. This below is a typical waterjet cut custom mounts

Custom Vs original

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
this example pix below illustrates the difference in degree between the stock vs custom.

sometimes on cetain cars are less, but it still has inherent difference hense it should put / transfer the stess to other parts of the engine. (Now you know why certain driveshafts kaput faster!!)

But like i said not all trasplants are bad. Its just the workshops here don't have background / clear idea on engineering of cetain cars.

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Originally posted by headache@Mar 4 2005, 08:40
Thanks for sharing your experience. :)
I've always advocate not to swap engines unless the repair to the original cost more that the swap. In the last 30+ years of driving and going to mechanics, I've NOT found anyone that's really professional. Aiyah.... have to always stay beside the car to supervise. That's the sad fact of life in M'sia, lor. :(
I've never done a engine conversion before, but i always see that anyjob done to my car is done preperly/correctly/cleanly.

Well, that's why it'll take almost an hour just to change a outer driveshaft boot :lol:

AE80TypeD

1,500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Puchong
Visit site
hee hee.. malu to unker headache oledy.. -_-

i admit, i simply greedy for power only, not because the transplant exceeded the repairs of old engine. simple stupid thirst for speed. haihz.

and yes, that engine wasnt sposed to be in my car unless im serious about the performance and fabricate mountings. ahahaa sucks to know im just another malaysia bolehlah head. :P koolspyda is right. when an engine is not meant for any chassis, serious consideration of the durability and stress/load calculation is very important if u still want that engine to go into that car.

unker!! hows the panty business going! :lol:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just thought of starting this thread to hear on what sifus over here got to say about their own first car and what good or bad memories that you all can say about it.

Hope sifus around here can share some stories of their humble beginnings with their first car and what kind of things that you all have done to the car. :biggrin: Also, how many of you are still keeping your first car?

For me, I am still driving my first car which is a Wira 4G15 that is passed down to me 3 years ago.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience