It's time to let it go......

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
No, my Airtrek's gearbox does not have that problem you described.

When I switch to manual, the gear change is slower by half a second. Which means when I hit the + or - sign, it will take a moment before you actually felt it shifted. It's not twin clutch anyway... however, this can easily be solved by tweaking the gearbox setting in ECU map.

I chose not to do that because I do not wanna hamper with the autobox reliability. Honestly, I have no issues for the 7 years of driving.
Switching to manual mode with auto box will affect reliability? I heard some people said that too but why?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, the manual override command actually shortens the lifespan of the gearbox?
Because if treated like a manual and abused, it goes over it working capability. Auto in manual is still not manual like manual. It just locks in select gear but still using torque converter to run.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Because if treated like a manual and abused, it goes over it working capability. Auto in manual is still not manual like manual. It just locks in select gear but still using torque converter to run.....:driver:
I need to read more about torque converter. I'm still not familiar with how they operate. I only know it replaces the role of a clutch in AT gearbox.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Maybe the tuned FTO is not tuned for that kind of track condition or something? Weird and funny that a stock one can actually go faster than a tuned one. Not just any random shop tuned ones. For it to appear on best motoring, it must be from some reputable tuner. I also watched before a 1 million and 2 million yen tuned EG6 VS powerful cars like R33 GT-R, JZA80 Supra and FD3S RX-7. The sports cars lost to the EG6 rather badly....

Did your Airtrek autobox suffer from conventional auto symptoms like it takes some time before the engine responded after you floor the throttle? I've only driven automatic once before and it really feels weird to me. It was an Avanza 1.5. Not saying it is underpowered but the response delay after I floor on the throttle feels weird to me. I'm used to the instant response in manual cars.
fto.... not easy to squeeze additional power out of the original engine... UNLESS you dump in a ton of money into it. At that point, considering how much money would need to be spent, i personally would opt to throw in an evo engine or 6a13tt into it.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Nope. Not at all.... the gear shifts anyway and it's just doing it at your preferred revs.
As long as you don't over rev it, it should be fine?

fto.... not easy to squeeze additional power out of the original engine... UNLESS you dump in a ton of money into it. At that point, considering how much money would need to be spent, i personally would opt to throw in an evo engine or 6a13tt into it.
Most of the time, this holds true across all NA engines.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
As long as you don't over rev it, it should be fine?

Most of the time, this holds true across all NA engines.
Yes, unless you redline shift all the time, else the box will last like in auto mode. Anyway, I doubt you can redline at 4th or 5th gear cos it's either not powerful enough to push to this point (as it's already very fast) OR you're going way too fast. :)

I heard some NA engines are easy to tune. Eg. 350Z, just a reflash can release quite a bit of power. Read it from some Japan tuning video mags.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Of course, but if talking about GB, then manual will be stronger......lol:biggrin:
Sure manual is stronger but if we're talking about shifting manually within means, it makes almost no difference to auto-shift in terms of wear and tear.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Just want to share my experience and feeling after driving the HRV over a month now. What can I say....

What I like:
1) Comfortable, quiet, plush
2) Extremely easy to drive!
3) Liking all the new gadgets which are missing in my Airtrek
4) The FC is gorgeous, 11.5km/L in city and close to 14km/L on highway
5) Generous space for it's size
6) Pretty good looking, I love the factory rims.
7) Very responsive and good taking off pickup.
8) The rear magic seats are great!
9) Love the semi-leather seats. I don't like full leather as it's very very hot for our weather.

What I dislike:
1) The CVT gearbox is like powerless during overtaking. It revs high but doesn't feel the car going.
2) Boot space a bit smaller than my preference
3) The rear door handle will be more convenient if located on the door metal sheet like front doors.
4) Rear windscreen too tiny
5) Road noise is annoying, probably the tires or Honda's lousy NVH
6) Quality a notch lower than Airtrek. Plastics doesn't feel premium. Maybe imported Vezel will be better.

Overall, I am happy with the car. The only thing I miss about Airtrek is the power to overtake. Otherwise, this HRV runs and feels all better than Airtrek.

Unfair comparison but just sharing my feel.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes, unless you redline shift all the time, else the box will last like in auto mode. Anyway, I doubt you can redline at 4th or 5th gear cos it's either not powerful enough to push to this point (as it's already very fast) OR you're going way too fast. :)

I heard some NA engines are easy to tune. Eg. 350Z, just a reflash can release quite a bit of power. Read it from some Japan tuning video mags.
But in 1st, 2nd and 3rd you can redline it.

I think 350Z is easy to get more power since the stock JDM version only gives out like 276hp due to their previous engine output regulations. Since it is a 3.5 litre, 276hp is not really the real max output of the engine I think.

Sure manual is stronger but if we're talking about shifting manually within means, it makes almost no difference to auto-shift in terms of wear and tear.
Oh, sorry about my question earlier. After rereading, I actually misunderstood your meaning when you said you choose not to do it in order not to hamper your gearbox reliability. At first I thought you meant driving in manual mode for AT. You actually mean tweaking the gearbox setting in ECU isn't it?

Just want to share my experience and feeling after driving the HRV over a month now. What can I say....

What I like:
1) Comfortable, quiet, plush
2) Extremely easy to drive!
3) Liking all the new gadgets which are missing in my Airtrek
4) The FC is gorgeous, 11.5km/L in city and close to 14km/L on highway
5) Generous space for it's size
6) Pretty good looking, I love the factory rims.
7) Very responsive and good taking off pickup.
8) The rear magic seats are great!
9) Love the semi-leather seats. I don't like full leather as it's very very hot for our weather.

What I dislike:
1) The CVT gearbox is like powerless during overtaking. It revs high but doesn't feel the car going.
2) Boot space a bit smaller than my preference
3) The rear door handle will be more convenient if located on the door metal sheet like front doors.
4) Rear windscreen too tiny
5) Road noise is annoying, probably the tires or Honda's lousy NVH
6) Quality a notch lower than Airtrek. Plastics doesn't feel premium. Maybe imported Vezel will be better.

Overall, I am happy with the car. The only thing I miss about Airtrek is the power to overtake. Otherwise, this HRV runs and feels all better than Airtrek.

Unfair comparison but just sharing my feel.
From a 300hp car to a 140hp car, for sure you will feel that power is missing. But you'll probably get used to it after a while?

For point number 6 regarding interior quality, I think this applies for a lot of new cars nowadays. Vezel's interior does look better from photos but as for its material quality, it is hard to tell. But what I can say is, I've sat inside a Subaru XV before and despite its interior looking more plain than HRV, the tactile feel of dashboard buttons, switches does feel better than HRV. Interior material feels better too in XV.

Even in our local Proton cars, the old ones felt like they have a better material quality for the interior. The interior of Saga FLX feels cheaper than my old 1999 Wira. The Wira dashboard and door trim feels like leather while Saga feels plastic everywhere. Even the old Saga Iswara door trim feels like leather too compared to FLX and LMST.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Pirelli may have secured the exclusive contract to provide Formula One teams with tyres for the coming season but reports suggest they may have followed that by joining the ever increasing exodus from the World Rally Championship.

Having been the official tyre supplier to the WRC for the past three years, the tyre manufacturer was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience