It's time to let it go......

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The INVECS II gearbox in Airtrek or Evo GTA, even though it's sluggish and 'lazy', it can handle quite a bit of power. I've seen 300whp in stock gearbox and still running strong without slip.

I broke my Airtrek once when I switch to manual shift and redlined it when coming out from a junction, the timing belt snapped and I swapped my whole block head to Evo 6 + PnP. :D hehehe...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
For RX-8, you need to redline it. They say "A Redline A Day Keeps The Mechanic Away....." and I do it every time I drive it. I slam the pedal until I hear the shift buzzer comes on.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
That is one point. Another is probably the slower response in AT. The linear power delivery through gear changes also makes the car feels less raw than MT. MT need to release throttle and floor it again... Power delivery stops and punches you back again. :biggrin:
I am not trying to brag but my Airtrek used to have a Pivot speed meter with G-force measurement. Highest I reached was 0.78 G during take off on an auto without launch control. That's not bad actually. And the G doesn't come for a short while during take offs, it continues as the speed climbs. I was very happy when my kids complained "daddy, I cannot bend to the front..."

Those were the days... history now.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The INVECS II gearbox in Airtrek or Evo GTA, even though it's sluggish and 'lazy', it can handle quite a bit of power. I've seen 300whp in stock gearbox and still running strong without slip.

I broke my Airtrek once when I switch to manual shift and redlined it when coming out from a junction, the timing belt snapped and I swapped my whole block head to Evo 6 + PnP. :D hehehe...
Is the timing belt that fragile? Just by going to redline and it snapped? Or you hold it at redline for quite some time?

I am not trying to brag but my Airtrek used to have a Pivot speed meter with G-force measurement. Highest I reached was 0.78 G during take off on an auto without launch control. That's not bad actually. And the G doesn't come for a short while during take offs, it continues as the speed climbs. I was very happy when my kids complained "daddy, I cannot bend to the front..."

Those were the days... history now.
I get your point with the G-force feeling in turbo cars. The two turbo cars that I have ridden before at full throttle would be a C250 CGI and a F30 320i. Both belonged to a same friend of mine. When he accelerates, I can feel that the force is pulling me back even through gear changes. Fun feeling but for me I prefer how manual responds through gear changes.

For manual, I've ridden before in a EG hatchback with B18C. The G-force is not as strong as the two turbo cars mentioned earlier but the feeling during each gear change is quite intense. Every time he releases the clutch and floors the pedal after shifting, the sudden kick in feels powerful. Can't even sit still on the seats even when I tried to.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Is the timing belt that fragile? Just by going to redline and it snapped? Or you hold it at redline for quite some time?

I get your point with the G-force feeling in turbo cars. The two turbo cars that I have ridden before at full throttle would be a C250 CGI and a F30 320i. Both belonged to a same friend of mine. When he accelerates, I can feel that the force is pulling me back even through gear changes. Fun feeling but for me I prefer how manual responds through gear changes.

For manual, I've ridden before in a EG hatchback with B18C. The G-force is not as strong as the two turbo cars mentioned earlier but the feeling during each gear change is quite intense. Every time he releases the clutch and floors the pedal after shifting, the sudden kick in feels powerful. Can't even sit still on the seats even when I tried to.
Timing belt snapped because it was an imitation one which cracked. I didn't know it was fake and it cracked underneath the timing belt cover which was not visible. Long story short, both me and the mechanic were cheated by the spare parts shop.

The G-force actually comes from torque rather than HP.

B18 felt intense because of the sound of VTEC and yeah, they're pretty darn fast for a NA 1.6 or 1.8 car...

In fact a modified B16A Civic EG was the first 'high performance' car I've driven in 1994. 0-100 was 7 secs and it was staggering fast for me.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Timing belt snapped because it was an imitation one which cracked. I didn't know it was fake and it cracked underneath the timing belt cover which was not visible. Long story short, both me and the mechanic were cheated by the spare parts shop.

B18 felt intense because of the sound of VTEC and yeah, they're pretty darn fast for a NA 1.6 or 1.8 car...

In fact a modified B16A Civic EG was the first 'high performance' car I've driven in 1994. 0-100 was 7 secs and it was staggering fast for me.
I snap mine once and was driving at 70kph going to work. Mine Original and still within next mileage change. One colleague of mine say VR4 prone to snap timing belt as he owned them before but he is aggressive driver.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Because of one stupid belt that costs a few hundred RM that caused you to spend a few thousand to get a new head. :banghead:

Yeah, I know torque actually gives the G-force. Is quite noticeable in turbo cars. Even in Hilux.

The VTEC sounds is one thing. Another point is, the owner is using a racing clutch for his car. So everytime he releases his clutch, can feel the intense rebound feeling when the clutch is attached back to the engine. I din't drive the car but I had a feel of the clutch when it isn't moving. Crazily stiff and needed a lot of effort to fully press it down.

Don't mention 1994, even until today B series engine is really powerful. I doubt even the new Civic turbo can keep up with these B series engine...

I snap mine once and was driving at 70kph going to work. Mine Original and still within next mileage change. One colleague of mine say VR4 prone to snap timing belt as he owned them before but he is aggressive driver.....lol
So your cylinder head gone as a result?

Any preventive measures for timing belt snap?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The new iVTEC in higher performance Honda has a more linear power delivery compared to the previous SiR engines where it hits you like a turbo kick in. The new Civic Turbo has a lot of potential and it runs a lot more efficient compared to the old one. My personal perspective.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Cylinder head ok, bent a few vavles.

Thereafter change timing belt every 2 to 3 years even though mileage not reached yet.....lol
Must have given you quite a fright. What was the symptoms when it happened and what did you do immediately?

Maybe once every 3 years is okay. Since timing belt kit not very expensive.

The new iVTEC in higher performance Honda has a more linear power delivery compared to the previous SiR engines where it hits you like a turbo kick in. The new Civic Turbo has a lot of potential and it runs a lot more efficient compared to the old one. My personal perspective.
The old ones have more aggressive cam setup during VTEC engagement. For fun factor, I think that is good but not good for efficiency and comfort during normal use. New Civic Turbo have potential but the main bottleneck would be the CVT gearbox... I heard China market can opt for a 6 speed manual... Feels like the manual went to the wrong market...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The CVT gearbox is pain in the ass for performance but a beauty for fuel consumption as it maintains the best torque curve for drivability.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The CVT gearbox is pain in the ass for performance but a beauty for fuel consumption as it maintains the best torque curve for drivability.
The disadvantage would be the need to change CVT gearbox oil which I heard is not cheap. Some CVT also suffers from overheat problem after prolonged usage at high rpm.

At the end, manual and torque converter auto are still the proven reliable gearbox out there.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Must have given you quite a fright. What was the symptoms when it happened and what did you do immediately?

Maybe once every 3 years is okay. Since timing belt kit not very expensive.
Engine just die off loh! What else to do but call tow truck......lol

Your wira kit is cheap, mine is MMC belt. Just the belt cost more than your kit, and there is an oil belt some more, belt tensioner, oil seals etc. etc....Since I change more often, I skip the tensioner and oil seal alternately...:driver:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The disadvantage would be the need to change CVT gearbox oil which I heard is not cheap. Some CVT also suffers from overheat problem after prolonged usage at high rpm.

At the end, manual and torque converter auto are still the proven reliable gearbox out there.
The first gen of CVT in Honda City was failure. Too many issues. After the reintroduction, it's more reliable now. The thing I don't like about CVT is that it feels like 'battery car' to me. Would like to hear the RPM goes up and down during shifting.