HELP! student bringing car back from aus.

ccibai

Known Member
May 21, 2005
msia
Hi, i search tru the forum n couldn't find any updated information. :) so can anyone who knows or someone who juz brought back a car from AUS, can u plz give me some info on all the procedures and stuffs? Thanks

seperlinky

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
i dont think it is worth it due to all the hassle here like AP and all those stuff

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
bring money back

sell it off take the aussie dollar convert RM wow......2.8X

then buy at Malaysia

ccibai

Known Member
May 21, 2005
msia
lol... with all the mods n times spent on the car,, if it really ends up same price as in msia it is still worth it to bring back..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
all the hassle and the fees u need to pay to transport ur car back is enough for u to buy a new car here...

so, depends on what car u having over there??... if sportscar or a fully modded one, worth it....

dome zero

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
sell it bttr la, u hav to pay ap n tax b4 bring it bk, hav2 spent alot of $$....no worth

ap= RM 20k-30k??

tax= RM?? 100%-300%??

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
last time as a student u can bring back a car for no charge.i think it had to be a new car if im not wrong.but now its full of hassles. :(

stjames

Jul 13, 2006
You need to refer to three main websites:

Royal Customs of Malaysia
MITI
MOHR (human resource ministry)

If you are a student, MOHR probably doesnt apply. Within the MOHR website, there is a link to a Program providing incentives to skilled professionals abroad. If you qualify, you get to bring two cars back tax free. Its a lenghthy process and will not be eligible if already back in msia.

Royal customs shows you the sample computation of tax rates etc. Beware that you will have to incorporate import duty, excise tax and sales tax which all adds up to an awful huge amount. Several friends have computed and thought that it wasnt worth the effort considering the ambiquity. Also, you need upfront cash to pay taxes. I heard from some ppl also that there is a one off cap tax of MYR15k on cars older than 8 yrs (cant confirm), this may be an option if you like say an 8yr old boxter or merc which r fairly good cars. You need to ask some serious questions whether you want to bring the car back at all because used imported cars have dropped in price slightly in msia.

You need to understand that taxes are independent of AP permits. You need to read the MITI website for rules on APs for your car. One of them being a requirement of 9 mths ownership prior to shipment back to msia.

This is just a brief summary of the fine prints included in the three websites, nothing beats reading it yourself. Hope this helps!

penjaja

Oct 4, 2004
Chicago
Aus is the same side as M'sia right? So besides the paperwork,tax,fees, etc what mods does the car need to be road worthy?

stjames

Jul 13, 2006
Penjaja, i notice your location is in chicago. Msia is right hand driven, like uk and aust.

Im not sure i understand you fully about modifications required to be road worthy. Off the top of my head, i cant quite think of anything obvious that needs to be modified to a regular car.

Pls clarify.

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
nope, no mods needed for aussie-spec cars to be driven on Malaysian roads. You can PM scheizer and ask about it as he recently bought back his silvia from aus to malaysia if im not mistaken. As a student you just need to have documents (title/insurance) to prove you owned/driven the car overseas for more than 9 months before bringing it back to Malaysia and an AP will be given for your car.

as for USDM/LHD cars, i dont think there is any mods for malaysian roads too as there is no emissions, safety crap in malaysian RTD books! just the notorious AP roadblock, just get/beg/steal that piece of paper and any car can be registered and driven in Malaysia.

kelvio

1,000 RPM
Jan 16, 2005
selangor
www.geocities.com
hmmm last time i heard for a student to obtain an AP is easy and free tax but the car must be driven for 2years by the same owner?? thats what i heard but now dunno lar.now all talks abt $$$
got money ok no money no talk
still not worth to bring a forign car in here now,better sell the car and buy a new 1 here

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
nope tax still have to pay. just free AP. if that car is special to you 2 years no name transfer is nothing, and you can end up saving money bringing your own car from overseas than buying one here, not to mention more choices.

[s]UpErNoVa

Known Member
Feb 8, 2006
yup.. not worth it.. de tax is gona kill u.. unless de car is heavily modified then can consider bout it..

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
else just smuggle the car in Malaysia la....then get yourself a fake plat and expired road tax from any car......

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, I was wondering how tow trucks tow cars? Do they tow from the front of the car or from the back?

I noticed how some ppl with the state of the art car security system ( steering lock, immobilizer, etc ) can still loose their car to car thieves. Chances are their cars were towed away to some remote location where the thieves can take their own sweet time to defeat the car security systtem

Some ppl say to prevent your car from being towed, u shoudn't park reverse L-parking. My...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience