How cars are towed away?

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Guys, I was wondering how tow trucks tow cars? Do they tow from the front of the car or from the back?

I noticed how some ppl with the state of the art car security system ( steering lock, immobilizer, etc ) can still loose their car to car thieves. Chances are their cars were towed away to some remote location where the thieves can take their own sweet time to defeat the car security systtem

Some ppl say to prevent your car from being towed, u shoudn't park reverse L-parking. My question is, can they still tow your car from the back?

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
if your car got tow hook..then yes.. how? the use the whining maching (is it that how's it is spelt?) to hook the wires on the tow hook of your car.. drag it to the as close as it possible..then drag again until either your front or rear wheels go up their platform.. then they raise the platform.. thats who

toms69

Known Member
May 22, 2005
Asia
InitialD said:
Guys, I was wondering how tow trucks tow cars? Do they tow from the front of the car or from the back?

I noticed how some ppl with the state of the art car security system ( steering lock, immobilizer, etc ) can still loose their car to car thieves. Chances are their cars were towed away to some remote location where the thieves can take their own sweet time to defeat the car security systtem

Some ppl say to prevent your car from being towed, u shoudn't park reverse L-parking. My question is, can they still tow your car from the back?
they jackup yer rear n then put sumting like a wheel on rear wheels..its like how to tow a boat..they put a pair of wheels behind..so even if u handbrake yer car..the car still move cos your car wheels are ontop of another sets of wheels..alamak..very confusing..whahaha..once they have yer rear wheels up, they can just tow it away..same concept also if u park head in..ask those who repo cars for a living..basically its da same technique

Last edited:

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
well, i've seen those mpsj ppl towing a vios away for obstructing traffic.. the alarm blares of cuz it was tilted and then hooked up onto those wheels as mentioned above.. the alarm however, turns off when it's leveled.. =S

some people said to avoid your car being towed away, parked with your steering fully locked 90degrees to either left or right.

blue_hippo

500 RPM
Jun 16, 2004
true oso , if yr car tyre is lock straight then they can tow it..but if 90.deg... they can tow either front and back..if tow back....front tire will go side ways.... if tow front..... will be sideways....

Jay5

Known Member
May 4, 2004
Visit site
hey bro there has been a lot of car break ins and theft in USJ 2 nowadays...becareful of your monster wei... hehehe :D

InitialD said:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
some possibilities....

1. Pull your hand brake a bit harder than usual. Only works if your hand brake is in good condition. But than again, don't think its strong enough, they'll just tow it anyway till your brakes give way. But it will at least make their lives harder.
2. Park in gear. The culprit will have to smash a window to free the gear. No so easy in broad daylight. Again, at the very least it makes their lives harder. Why make the buggers lives easier right.

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
i wonder if we install some hydralics to suspension to lower our car when parking, will they still able to jack up our car to put those wheelie thinggy? I mean unmount the tow hook from our car oso la

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
Hey guys listen, don't give funny answers when you're not completely sure.

For Manual cars,

They tow by lifting up the rear wheels because that's what your handbrake is acting on. Your front wheels are freewheeling so they can just tarik by lifting the rear wheels.

For auto cars in Park position or manual cars left in gear,

They will lift up from the rear also, but the front part of your car will rest on the small trolley thingy they have with 4 wheels on it. That's the only way they can tow an auto car.

No one will tow a car from the front coz the rear wheels are locked by the parking brake. Unless it's a serious accident and they are unable to tow from the rear then they might tow from front and let the rear rest on the trolley thingy.

Alarm systems:

If the tow is legitimate, ie: illegal parking the authorities won't care if your alarm goes off they will just tow it away. If they were meant to steal your car there are many ways to get off with towing, they can cut your alarm off or they might even have false documents to proove they have a warrant to reposess your car for defaulting on your bank loans.

And as to all your tricks to prevent towing, remember this also prevents the authorities from being able to tow your car if you park illegally and therefore they might just saman you coz it's illegal to have a car like that.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
bro..u drive tow-truck before? as for manual car..towing rear wheels is correct.but 1st they hv to locked the front wheel 1st...otherwise when they towed d rear wheel..d front steering will turn left or right......make the car unstable......muz locked d steering 1st..my 2 cents.......work wit tow truck before

cyclonite said:
Hey guys listen, don't give funny answers when you're not completely sure.

For Manual cars,

They tow by lifting up the rear wheels because that's what your handbrake is acting on. Your front wheels are freewheeling so they can just tarik by lifting the rear wheels.

For auto cars in Park position or manual cars left in gear,

They will lift up from the rear also, but the front part of your car will rest on the small trolley thingy they have with 4 wheels on it. That's the only way they can tow an auto car.

No one will tow a car from the front coz the rear wheels are locked by the parking brake. Unless it's a serious accident and they are unable to tow from the rear then they might tow from front and let the rear rest on the trolley thingy.

Alarm systems:

If the tow is legitimate, ie: illegal parking the authorities won't care if your alarm goes off they will just tow it away. If they were meant to steal your car there are many ways to get off with towing, they can cut your alarm off or they might even have false documents to proove they have a warrant to reposess your car for defaulting on your bank loans.

And as to all your tricks to prevent towing, remember this also prevents the authorities from being able to tow your car if you park illegally and therefore they might just saman you coz it's illegal to have a car like that.

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Guys, this might shocked u all.

I have seen a tow truck towing away my friend's Honda City while it was still in "P" gear.

What the tow truck operator did was to lift up the front of my friend's car and that's it.

I told the tow truck guy to hold on first because the gear was in "P". I thought P gear will lock all 4 wheels.

But I was shocked when my assumptions were not true. The rear wheels were turning even while it was in P gear.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
if the car is FF car..then putting at 'P' while towing should be no problem as long as the handbrake pedal is released

InitialD said:
Guys, this might shocked u all.

I have seen a tow truck towing away my friend's Honda City while it was still in "P" gear.

What the tow truck operator did was to lift up the front of my friend's car and that's it.

I told the tow truck guy to hold on first because the gear was in "P". I thought P gear will lock all 4 wheels.

But I was shocked when my assumptions were not true. The rear wheels were turning even while it was in P gear.

stargate

Known Member
Oct 15, 2004
No wonder lah they said a car with the best security system still can steal.

Jackie Leong, I dont understand how a car parked with the steering fully locked 90degrees to either left or right will help when the car is towed from the front instead?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all bro here....i am newbie...and...my kancil have some problem....these days when i drive bout 50kmh....got a sound "wung wung wung~~" from my engine bay i think..then i not dare to hit more higher liao...i suspect for the oil filter but i already change it bout 3000km before....what do you think???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience