Gearbox Problem Nissan Sentra N16

jucl

Apr 29, 2013
Selangor
Recently i encountered problem with auto gearbox of my nissan sentra n16 2006 model. I noticed, when the engine is cold, the gear cannot engage, lapsed few second from P to D and 2. However if i engage R, the gear change smoothly. Furthemore when the engine is hot i have no problem but lately it has become more severe.

Anyone can help to advise what is the problem. I read from other forum, some claimed due to clutch plate issue, some claimed due body valve. I am bit confuse no.

Many thanks

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Eh.. same problem as a friend of mine.

We swapped the gear oil (full flush) and changed the ATF filter. It didn't fix it, but friend went and added a Lubeguard Platinum additive. After running the car for 1 minute, the problem dissapeared. It's been a year plus and have swapped the oil out a few times already, no more issues.

It's weird. It's a cheap fix compared to changing the clutch plate and all. Might be worthwhile testing.

jucl

Apr 29, 2013
Selangor
Eh.. same problem as a friend of mine.

We swapped the gear oil (full flush) and changed the ATF filter. It didn't fix it, but friend went and added a Lubeguard Platinum additive. After running the car for 1 minute, the problem dissapeared. It's been a year plus and have swapped the oil out a few times already, no more issues.

It's weird. It's a cheap fix compared to changing the clutch plate and all. Might be worthwhile testing.
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate that. By the way, any idea where i can gey Lubeguard Platinum additive. How much do i mix with gearbox oil also how much is Lubeguard Platinum? Can i use normal gear box oil or any special reconmendation?

I kinda notice many nissan sentra n16 encounter similar problem. Was wandering what could be the root cause

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
Its probably the valve body. Basically too much carbon and dirt will cause the valvebody to not function properly. Constant change of atf and atf filter is necessary.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate that. By the way, any idea where i can gey Lubeguard Platinum additive. How much do i mix with gearbox oil also how much is Lubeguard Platinum? Can i use normal gear box oil or any special reconmendation?

I kinda notice many nissan sentra n16 encounter similar problem. Was wandering what could be the root cause
There's a shop called Tee's Spare Parts that sells this. A few shops in Sunway sell it too.

If it caused by carbon build up in the valvebody, then lubeguard probably would have cleaned off my friends gb problem and got it working again. Hmmm...

The recommendation on the bottle is 1 bottle to mix with normal oil change. It retails for RM90+.

Btw, I am not promoting or condoning the use of additives like Lubeguard. In fact I'm quite against it. Anyway, I'm merely sharing what I experienced with a friends car.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My friend also had some auto gear box problem similar to above, and yes he did mention pouring in the Lube Guard and the problem was solved....:hmmmm:

jucl

Apr 29, 2013
Selangor
Thanks guys for the valuable input. Let me try keep you posted. finger crossed. Otherwise gearbox overhauling change gear box will definitely set me back a bomb!

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

There's a shop called Tee's Spare Parts that sells this. A few shops in Sunway sell it too.

If it caused by carbon build up in the valvebody, then lubeguard probably would have cleaned off my friends gb problem and got it working again. Hmmm...

The recommendation on the bottle is 1 bottle to mix with normal oil change. It retails for RM90+.

Btw, I am not promoting or condoning the use of additives like Lubeguard. In fact I'm quite against it. Anyway, I'm merely sharing what I experienced with a friends car.
Thanks! will try to look for one!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not sure if this guy still selling. Have not contacted him for a while.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Recently i encountered problem with auto gearbox of my nissan sentra n16 2006 model. I noticed, when the engine is cold, the gear cannot engage, lapsed few second from P to D and 2. However if i engage R, the gear change smoothly. Furthemore when the engine is hot i have no problem but lately it has become more severe.

Anyone can help to advise what is the problem. I read from other forum, some claimed due to clutch plate issue, some claimed due body valve. I am bit confuse no.

Many thanks
Hi bro. Did you manage to solve your gearbox issue with lubegard. I have the same problem now with my Nissan Sentra autobox.

jucl

Apr 29, 2013
Selangor
Hi bro. Did you manage to solve your gearbox issue with lubegard. I have the same problem now with my Nissan Sentra autobox.
It helps but Im not sure how long it would last. You need to drain your auto oil and pour in new auto oil + 1 bottle of Lubegad Platinum.

micky78

Sep 24, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
my sentral also facing the problem.. when i told this to the workshop.. they recommend to change the recondition gearbox that cost me around RM3k.. is the price reasonable?

based on the above, how long the problem can solve if added these special lube?

Jul 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys, I had this problems for almost 2 years, which at 1st I had to wait for a few minutes for the gear to get engage when I switch to D. But after a year it don't even work that way anymore, it getting even worst, where I need to switch to 1 and then start to move at rpm approx. over 2000 rpm then I start to switch to 2, then the worst was that when I want it to keep changing to higher gear I had to kick the fuel paddle hard, the gear start to slip like NEUTRAL then keep on pushing it almost to 5000 rpm, then only it will start to jerk and change to next higher gear, it was nightmare if you drive in the city where you will have no change of doing that. So you will keep on change the gear between 1 and 2. Every time I stop at junction or traffic light I had to change to 1.

I went to workshop and they told me better to get the gearbox replace from half cut. Cost near rm 2K.

Until I found this K&W Trans-X automatic Transmission Slip-Stop & Leak Fix by CRC Industries from some review overseas. I had used a product from this company previously for my radiator leakage a few years ago, where it helped. So like I trust this company.

What I do was when I changed my gear oil, normally we required almost 4 bottle of 1 liters Nissan AT Gear Oil. So this time I pour the K&W additive 1st then followed by the Nissan Gear Oil, this time I only used 3 bottle of Nissan AT gear Oil.

Then I hit the road. 10 km nothing happen, it just the same old problem. Then I stop at petrol station to fill up the fuel. When I want to drive back on road, I tried to switch to D, surprisingly after all these years, it engage. I feel like I have my old gearbox back. It's been a few days now, the problem has completely gone. I'm not scared to drive in busy traffic city anymore. Traffic light no problem, when it change to green, I just use D huhu... See how long this can last, at least it can buy me sometimes just in case need to change to new gearbox.

I get this additive from spare part shop close to PJ Hilton, behind KFC, it located at same row with Tyre Service Workshop, this store sell whole range of CRC product.

Watch this product on youtube: How to Use K&W TRANS-X from CRC to Fix and Prevent Transmission Fluid Leaks - YouTube

Maybe you all can try to give this a shot, see how it goes. Let's pray that my problem would gone forever.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Merc's latest 2018 A-Class arrives Malaysia! A250 & A200 + MBUX

Boom! the A Class has arrived - Just debuted in Malaysia, the all-new, gadget centric compact Merc will be available in 2 flavours, the A200 and A250, which are priced from RM227,888 and RM263,888 respectively. W177 will be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience