catalytic converter

clawhammer

Known Member
Mar 8, 2004
KL
Visit site
Some cars have more than one. Normally it's after the extractor.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
the catalytic converter is a 'filter' so that harmful waste gasses such as NOx and CO are all catalysed to convert into other less harmful chemical molecules. even unburnt hydrocarbons are converted into other less harmful forms.

most carb cars do not have the cat-con or should i say older models like the datsun 120Ys and such. it's usually after the header. umm, most cars have only one, it's rather expensive to purchase one. the one after the cat-con is usually the mid-box/bullet or whatever it's called, which is used to dampen the resonance from the exhaust system.

if i'm wrong anywhere pls do correct me. don't like giving out wrong info :)

thteh86

2,000 RPM
Sep 6, 2004
Subang Jaya, Ma
Visit site
it is the oem centre muffler or wat u call that the centre box which is the "liability" when it comes to performance. But it helps to reduce acid rains which is caused by the SO(sulphur monoxide).

it's located in the middle of your exhaust system, it also helps to reduce noise polution. It contains either platinum or another thing which i forgotten the name of it. The thing inside is actually the calalyst for the process to convert the poisonous CO to CO2, or so on. Platinum is very expensive though therefore they use the other thing to act as the catalyst. ;)

2pac

1,000 RPM
Jun 30, 2004
PJ/Sban
guys.. if we remove the cat converter, does it increase the sound of the muffler or any 'pecah' sound ah???

Kchai

Jan 11, 2004
i've removed mine after i installed powerzone extractor...well, its pretty noisy at 4000 rpm..and it creates a weird sound when u press the throttle... i wonder did u guys experience this before?

L9Turbo

Known Member
Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
For most k-cars.. its together with the extractor.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
i've just removed mine. i've drove stock cars all my life and i'm starting to get used to that hissing sound everytime i press the throttle. its not very noisy after removing the cat-con but i just need to get used to that hissing sound.

also, the slight increase in power is felt after 3000RPM. that works in my car but i specifically told the exhaust shop i wanted low end power instead my car accelerates a lil faster at high RPM. btw, i also got an extractor. truthfully, the power increase is marginal with the 2 mods i did. but u can feel the engine revs a little easier thats all.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
There should not be any hissing sound after removing the cat unless your piping or flange has sprung a leak

SyXt3m

Known Member
Oct 18, 2004
THe car converter acts as some gay thing to reduce air pollution...I have removed mine and added a bullet.. You have 2 choices either add a straigh pipe or a bullet to increase a bit hp...
Just sharing my itsy bitsy small knowledge :D