catalytic converter question

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
oopss..sori. i think i got the view of catalytic converter. damn i dun think my car has it. oni the flexible thingy den straight away piping without any cats and bullets in between. isit illegal? besides dat anyone knows how much is a flexible cost? need to get one as mine is leaking air out. at times plastic bags will be stuck underneath my car due to the holes dat will suck it.

thankz

AXXeLL

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Subang
Visit site
Catalytic Converter is ur bullet la.. that is its real name... shot form called as bullet

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
Bullet is actually not a catalytic converter.. cats can be found on new cars.. The main purpose is to comply to emission regulation standards.. Throw that off, u can definitely feel power increase and also emission! hehe. A fuel of coz a bit lah.. A bullet actually serves more as resonator which absorbs a little bit of sound.. It also helps the exhaust flow to flow better out to the rear.. That's what i know lah.. correct me if im wrong! Thanks!

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
i dunno wat d hell is tat..i juz know catlyst is very heavy n heavy.....n it restrict direct flow air to d rear ekzos

tat y most turbo cars changing downpipe.....mean remove d catalyst n direct use piping....better effect....my 2 cents

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
the catalytic converter( or cat for short) is there to make your exhaust less harmful. It converts the most of the toxin into somethingless harmful. And the cat doesn't get used up, so don't get fool next time going into the shops. But you still have to get it change when it's all clog up.huh?wait, I just said nothing....

I think downpipe is a different thing. The down pipe is to connect your turbo back to the exhaust. Remember how turbo works? Cars with factory turbo have a downpipe and a cat.

About the bullet, is that the muffler/silencer? Or the tips? I just call them backoxes

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
ModMaestro said:
the catalytic converter( or cat for short) is there to make your exhaust less harmful. It converts the most of the toxin into somethingless harmful. And the cat doesn't get used up, so don't get fool next time going into the shops. But you still have to get it change when it's all clog up.huh?wait, I just said nothing....

I think downpipe is a different thing. The down pipe is to connect your turbo back to the exhaust. Remember how turbo works? Cars with factory turbo have a downpipe and a cat.

About the bullet, is that the muffler/silencer? Or the tips? I just call them backoxes
but bro....i changed my downpipe......the original downpipe was with CAT...so hv to remove it....so now my car no CAT....turbo outlet - downpipe - 3" piping - rear muffler - atmopshera :p

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
huakenny,

oops, skip some of the words on your post. But still, you're removing the cat from the exhaust. sometimes you can keep the factory downpipe, but might have to do some custom work ;)

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
ModMaestro said:
huakenny,

oops, skip some of the words on your post. But still, you're removing the cat from the exhaust. sometimes you can keep the factory downpipe, but might have to do some custom work ;)
maybe.....but i dunno..coz i get d downpipe is like tat..most of my frens r not using CAT..so i think is ok.....

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
Yeah the CAT is only for emission regualtion. All cars feel better once they removd the CAT. That's why race cars have no CAT, but some races still requires you to put the silencer/muffler.

Just think of the CAT like rokok. People knows that smoking really cause cancer, but they still do it. De-CAT will release a lot of toxins into the air, but hey, at least I'll be long gone by the time I can't go out without my own oxygen tank.

But if Malaysia suddenly wants to comply with emission standard(very unlikely, because adding one to their protons cast alot of money) then we're all screwed.

guest18

Known Member
Jul 4, 2004
it help with acceleration ...

how long before require to change the cat before it all clogged

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
guest18 said:
it help with acceleration ...

how long before require to change the cat before it all clogged
dunno. usually the mech would tell you when you send in for servicing or exhaust work. depends on your engine condition also. If your car's a sotong then the CAT will get clog up quicker. It doesn't get used up because it's a catalyst to turn the exhaust gas less harmful.

And don't try smelling the exhaust yourself :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The tease of the Toyota FT-86 continues with the release of a video with engine sounds and the seductive exhaust burble of the car from the front and rear.

Toyota were kind enough to release a video of the FT-86 starting up and giving it a few revs to the naturally-aspirated boxer mill up front. We get to hear the exhaust sound from the rear as well as the engine from up front.

Though it doesn’t sound as menacing as an Impreza WRX STI, you can still...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience