Bad smells from exhaust (especially cold start)

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, i hope to get some opinion before i get chopped few thousands..

If this bad smells happens on your car, which one would you do first:

A: It came out from the exhaust, there might be a leak or something clogged, i should go to exhaust shop.

B: I should go for repair workshop for a TB and intake manifold cleaning. Cause the smells is similar with a WD4D burning, and few years ago there's really a mech did a WD4D clean into my TB without taking the TB out.

C: Try diy change something related with fuel hose example charcoal canister, some ppl said this must be change every 60k of mileage but really not much ppl notice this things is needed for automotive service.

Description of bad smell: Smells like WD4D+petrol burning together, if im facing to the exhaust tip distance about 1ft for cold start, i will imediately feel pain in the eyes that struggle to open my eyes and sore throat if breathing in.

I must get this fix because is killing my family :banghead:
Hope you guys guide me which should i go for first :idea:

Last edited:

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i felt something was not right because last time using ron97 it dosen't have those smells, i mean that smells really make ppl sick 1, sometimes i felt dizzy :puke: Hope it's normal as you said bro :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What have you done for your car bro? What spark plugs are you using? I know your car is a VDO like mine.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
What have you done for your car bro? What spark plugs are you using? I know your car is a VDO like mine.
Bro Izso, my exhaust system and injector stock for 10years already, injector still original but i saw the spark plugs seems like running rich with ngk's heat rage '5'. If i use copper plug, it will be more smelly than using platinium :bird:

Im a little bit consider for 'B' at the first, but my neighbour have the same car smells the same at the morning so im confused. Charcoal canister also never touch it for 10years, im not sure would that related to bad smells :banghead:

It only happen on cold start, it smells normal after the engine and exhaust hot enough until no more vapor water out from the tail tip..

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
What is the service life of charcoal canister? Many don't realize its existence including me.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
haha yea, but really never ever mention by any mech that need to be replace. Bro Izso when you free can to pop up the hood can you check how many hose on your canister? Mine got 3 hole but only using 2 hose, lefted want free play without hose, wonder is it missing or it was like that since start.
Million of thanks bro Izso :knuddel:

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

What is the service life of charcoal canister? Many don't realize its existence including me.
I've searched some info from google it said 60k km >.<

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys, i hope to get some opinion before i get chopped few thousands..

If this bad smells happens on your car, which one would you do first:

A: It came out from the exhaust, there might be a leak or something clogged, i should go to exhaust shop.

B: I should go for repair workshop for a TB and intake manifold cleaning. Cause the smells is similar with a WD4D burning, and few years ago there's really a mech did a WD4D clean into my TB without taking the TB out.

C: Try diy change something related with fuel hose example charcoal canister, some ppl said this must be change every 60k of mileage but really not much ppl notice this things is needed for automotive service.

Description of bad smell: Smells like WD4D+petrol burning together, if im facing to the exhaust tip distance about 1ft for cold start, i will imediately feel pain in the eyes that struggle to open my eyes and sore throat if breathing in.

I must get this fix because is killing my family :banghead:
Hope you guys guide me which should i go for first :idea:
Firstly, like bro. S.car mentioned could be richer fuel for cold start, so petrol not totally burnt off.
Secondly you mentioned smell like WD40 and that is oil, so could be some engine oil dripping in from valve guide. After initial burn off and when engine is hot no more smell....

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Firstly, like bro. S.car mentioned could be richer fuel for cold start, so petrol not totally burnt off.
Secondly you mentioned smell like WD40 and that is oil, so could be some engine oil dripping in from valve guide. After initial burn off and when engine is hot no more smell....
Bro vr, i've checked the oil level every week or twice a week no oil missing. Maybe i have phobia for that TB clean with WD4D that mech did last time, keep pop ups in my mind that if WD4D sticked at intake manifold will that smell disappear after came out from the combustion chamber?

If it's really running rich, what should i do?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro vr, i've checked the oil level every week or twice a week no oil missing. Maybe i have phobia for that TB clean with WD4D that mech did last time, keep pop ups in my mind that if WD4D sticked at intake manifold will that smell disappear after came out from the combustion chamber?

If it's really running rich, what should i do?
The leak in valve guide is very very little only, not as in consuming engine oil, then your car will be smoking already...:biggrin:
Morning running rich is normal for cold start, just as long as when heated up should not run rich...:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I have almost the same problem recently. I was waiting in the car for my gf, and my engine was running as well.
So, when I leave my driver door open, I can smell the exhaust smell, I can't explain how it smells like but then the smell is just
unbearable. I'm afraid if there is a leak somewhere but during acceleration is fine an quiet. Just engine roaring sound.

If i stand around my car outside, I can definitely smell the exhaust smell and can feel some heat when I stand beside my driver side car door and front tyre.

My friend told me once before that is quite hot in front when u bend down at the front tyres when engine is running. No white smoke,
just exhaust smell is strong. I thought of getting it check this saturday as well.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
The leak in valve guide is very very little only, not as in consuming engine oil, then your car will be smoking already...:biggrin:
Morning running rich is normal for cold start, just as long as when heated up should not run rich...:driver:
hehe, hope no big deal la.. wallet getting thinner nowadays everything's increased :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i plan to convert my new inspira to evo x bodykits. Any ideas from anyone if i order the bodykits from the shop, then ask them to spray 1st, once they done then only call me come to fix. Coz nornally i saw is u have left the car few days at thier shop for them to fix....touch up...then only spray. Any bodykits 's shop can do spray 1st then only fix into car. Plug n play mah...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience