engine smells fuel when running,but no leak!

velazques

velazques

Jul 19, 2006
hey guys wussap?

need help on this engine management system.curerntly im using a 12 yr old vovlo 240 and has a 2.4l injection engine.its been used around 160k km.thing is right now whenever i turn on the engine my engine starts to smell fuel.but then i didnt see any leaks. the smell starts when my car starts to go hot enough,like after 10mins of warm up.and it goes on and on.it really affects my fuel consumption man.like,20km for every rm10 fuel.

ive checked the fuel pump,washers and also pipes and replaced them.the prob still got.my fren told me it can do with the piston or the cylinder inside,something like its scratched or something.he also mentioned that the piston driver crank might be bengkok.wtf?

can anybody good at this gimme any advise?if i hafta repair,what should i do and where is the recommended placeS?please do ajar me few stuff guys!

also if can,any chance for me to twick my engine up to like a few horsepowers? :P huhuhuu

velazques

velazques

Jul 19, 2006
extractor?u mean isit the part right after the exhaust valve thing?im a bit blur bout it.
do tell do tell.nvr changed any engine parts before la,coz bought it in around 2yrs ago.

weird,coz initially this big lady was a government property heheh.bought it thru lelong.but doesnt government cars are taken care of pretty neatly?yeah 12 yrs anything can wear man....

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
i not sure is it or not
the engine pipe.....4 cylinders u should have 4 pipe combining and lead to exhaust piping

soulfly

500 RPM

soulfly

500 RPM
Jan 25, 2004
Miri
fakhrain.blogdrive.com
Smells fuel.... sounds like running rich. Probably the engine needs some re-tuning or something. Exhaust leaking might also contribute to that problem. Easily detected if the exhaust sound is kinda loud. Or when you throttle, you can see or sense some exhaust gas coming out. To check this... park your car on a dusty or sandy place and rev the engine. See whether the dust or sand got blown or not.

Unless thread starter actually refers to burnt engine oil smell, that's a different story.

velazques

velazques

Jul 19, 2006
[s]UpErNoVa said:
possibly de petrol filter bocor oredi..

thx lots bro,but wanna ask,isit oil filter or petrol filter?the oil filter i change every three months,normal service meh.

bout the oil rich thingy,ive done some tuning la on it,ive put to the least.i think.the mechanic sed so la...he's a lazy old man (and i really need to find a mechanic whos young at heart and nice to my wallet!)
and yea,its the smell of petrol.not burned,but the same smell,likewhen u isi the fuel at the petrol station.:Not_Impressed:
hey,does this problem do effect my fuel prob?coz my car drinks fuel like mad.

nitrus

2,000 RPM

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
car drinks fuel like mad ...

could be exhaust system somewhere bocor/leaking ? or tuning too rich? sorry i too am not sure..

minikar

Known Member

minikar

Known Member
Jun 24, 2005
Cyberjaya
Sometime it is difficult to differ real petrol and half-burned petrol smell.

Extractor:
Is the head that mount the exhaust pipe to the engine, 4 pipe go into one. Sometimes 4-2-1.

Other exhaust related factors:
The center bullet/ catalytic converter - your car aged and all the carbon deposit 'sumbat', so alot of backflow from the exhaust back to your engine and somehow get into the cabin or air-con.

Valve related:
If your car is losing power badly, you might have a leaked valves or valve seals, so you have alot of unburned petrol.

Engine heating system:
I mind mind hasn't failed me, the engine also has heating system to heat the engine during winter... so some leaks might have happened.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As you can see from the heavily shrouded example of what looks to be the latest Mitsubishi Mirage, currently being sold in the Thailand market, we were lucky to spot this test vehicle at the Saujana area that was about to be towed back to Mitsubishi HQ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience