Adjustable Cam Gear/Pulley

JackWaiKit

Known Member
Aug 9, 2008
www.friendster.com
Hai all,
U r invite to advice for me that...
What is the function or improvement can be produce after install an adj can pulley???

Pls kindly answer me yoh!!!

karl5511

1,000 RPM
May 31, 2007
The profile pic, is it your car? Black putra, white P1 Buddy Club rim...haha it is 99% like my ride.
Well, adj cam pulley, there's a lot of topics discussed before.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Hey,
Nice ride you have there. You know who I am huh :P

Just to drop by to say hi... we shall meet again...

alamdamai1

Known Member
Mar 4, 2008
planning to do this mod very soon....but before that, need the help of Sifus here...

i've noticed the cam timing for our 4G15 is different between a Carbie and EFI models..append below is the spec sheet...

hence, can anyone confirm this and if so, would it be worthwhile to change my stock Carbie Cam to the EFI version for better engine efficiency as the exhaust valve timing for the EFI opens later compared to the Carbie model...

members advise is highly appreciated...many thanks... :help: :help: :help:

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
recently i did mine as well
i;m driving a campro engine 1.6 auto
initially setup based on manual din work as the tuning for auto n manual is different
this is the result i tried together wif my friend

bout brand of ACP, some said those like HKS which cost a bomb, is very accurate when adjusting the cam pulley -.-

alamdamai1

Known Member
Mar 4, 2008
rex79gt, could you share with us your previous settings based on manual transmission as well as for the auto tranny...by the way, how much does the HKS pulley cost?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
bro about ACP,

you can get those aerospeed ones...not so expensive...

about setting your cams...its best you get the mech to set your cams for you....

i found this link very helpful when i was learning about cams..hope this helps.

Camshaft Fundamentals

Last edited:

alamdamai1

Known Member
Mar 4, 2008
Sifu, upon reading further about the function of an adjustable cam pulley, i've just discovered that by advancing the cam timing, the inlet valve would open & close earlier while the exhaust valve would open & close later...

hence, izzit correct to say that by advancing the cam, the valves overlap period will increase as depicted below?

if so, an article below stated this would have detrimental effect to our fuel efficiency which i would like to quote below...

"More overlap decreases low-rpm vacuum and response and improves the signal provided by the fast-moving exhaust to the incoming intake charge in the midrange, often providing noticeable engine acceleration improvements. Less overlap can increase efficiency by reducing raw fuel seepage into the exhaust and improve low-end response due to less reversion of the exhaust gases into the intake port."

Variable Valve Timing - VVT For Performance Applications Explained - Hot Rod Magazine

thus, may i enquire has anyone experienced any deterioration to their FC when they advanced their adjustable cam pulley?...

JackWaiKit

Known Member
Aug 9, 2008
www.friendster.com
Sifu, upon reading further about the function of an adjustable cam pulley, i've just discovered that by advancing the cam timing, the inlet valve would open & close earlier while the exhaust valve would open & close later...

hence, izzit correct to say that by advancing the cam, the valves overlap period will increase as depicted below?

if so, an article below stated this would have detrimental effect to our fuel efficiency which i would like to quote below...

"More overlap decreases low-rpm vacuum and response and improves the signal provided by the fast-moving exhaust to the incoming intake charge in the midrange, often providing noticeable engine acceleration improvements. Less overlap can increase efficiency by reducing raw fuel seepage into the exhaust and improve low-end response due to less reversion of the exhaust gases into the intake port."

Variable Valve Timing - VVT For Performance Applications Explained - Hot Rod Magazine

thus, may i enquire has anyone experienced any deterioration to their FC when they advanced their adjustable cam pulley?...
What a good findings...
And bout your question... I guess most of the ppl or car owner will always depend on their foreman to set for them(included) me...
I do interesting what is retarding the inlet degree!!!
Guys... Appreciate with your share & put it here if anythings more!!!:beer::burnout:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yes i have experienced slight difference..my FC increased but then again it might not be drastic or noticeable to some ppl...my case was because right after i set cam i had to re-tune my car...and the tuner didnt do a good job tuning the car....the Fc difference wasnt much...

rex79gt

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2008
Ngiao City
wanna ask sifu here
i installed my adjustable cam pulley not long ago
n realised the setting on my cam pulley changed
izzit due to the quality of the adjustable cam pulley?
currently i'm using P2R brand
i did tried to screw the nut back but they r all tight

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
*alam damai..

i've just discovered that by advancing the cam timing, the inlet valve would open & close earlier while the exhaust valve would open & close later...
-your engine was sohc rite?? or is it dohc already???actually for a sohc engine there's very little u can gain by changing ACP......

this is because in sohc engine.....when u advance the pulley by 1degree.....intake valve would open earlier and close also earlier.....since the same cam also working on exhaust valve...thus, exhaust valve also would open and close early.....<<and changing timing (advance or retard) would change your engine powerband and power delivery in great effect...

different on dohc engine...where u can play intake camshaft and exhaust camshaft timing separately....so u would have a wider powerband/range to play with....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Is there someone who can tel me the specification,s
of the mivec engine and the GTI engine

i have heurt the mivec engine can make 9000 U/min
And some one else told the mivec can make 7500 U/min
And the 1.8 GTI they have told me 7500
and a nother told me 6500

whits are tru ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience