4G93 SOHC mods. Suggestions needed.

devilish306666

Jul 7, 2007
KL - MLK - JB
Hi to all the members.

Firstly, i just want u guys to know that i just changed my 4g92 to 4g93 Sohc.
I need ur opinions and experiences to let me know how to mod it to the max. Step by step.
FYI, i dont want to change to DOHC or TURBO.

Im currently using 4g92 ecu, wyring and tb. Others i changed to 4g93 parts already.

Aftermarkets i installed are HKS mushroom, 4-2-1 extractor, 2" piping with 1 bullet, and other tiny things. My next project is Adjustable campulley, Lightened crank, Walbro fuelpump and fuel regulator kit.

Any opinions on how to increase hp, please do kind to suggest...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hi to all the members.

Firstly, i just want u guys to know that i just changed my 4g92 to 4g93 Sohc.
I need ur opinions and experiences to let me know how to mod it to the max. Step by step.
FYI, i dont want to change to DOHC or TURBO.

Im currently using 4g92 ecu, wyring and tb. Others i changed to 4g93 parts already.

Aftermarkets i installed are HKS mushroom, 4-2-1 extractor, 2" piping with 1 bullet, and other tiny things. My next project is Adjustable campulley, Lightened crank, Walbro fuelpump and fuel regulator kit.

Any opinions on how to increase hp, please do kind to suggest...
Bro, sorry to talk about this even though you said you are not interested.

But bro, most of the mods you did are supplementary mod for DOHC or turbo. Such as the adjustable pulley, bullet, and fuel pump. These are mostly done as supplementary to aid in unleashing the power in DOHC and turbo. If you do all those without using DOHC or turbo, the power gains are very minimal or even zero for the amount you spent. This is because those things you mentioned are things that limit the unleashing of power of your engine. It is not involved directly in the creation of power. Things like cams, turbo, DOHC, ECU are those that are directly involved in the creation of power.

Think of it, 2" piping. Without the sufficient exhaust air flow, 2" might just be overkill and you even lose torque. For adjustable cam pulley, if you play with it, lets say you retard the timing, both the intake and exhaust will be retarded together because it is a SOHC. Dyno sheets that I've seen before shows that the gains are very minimal, around 2-3 hp. Can google it. For lightened crank, you will get better response no doubt, but it defeats the purpose and your mods are not allowing your engine to spin high. Fuel pump and regulator, you are not running on boost. Your stock fuel pump is already more than enough to supply the fuel to your manifold at adequate pressure.

Hmm... I guess for a cost effective and significant increase, go for a low-boost BOT. With all the things you already have, looks like your engine is just waiting patiently to be BOT or have a MIVEC head swap!

Just my humble opinion :burnout:

devilish306666

Jul 7, 2007
KL - MLK - JB

But bro, most of the mods you did are supplementary mod for DOHC or turbo. Such as the adjustable pulley, bullet, and fuel pump. These are mostly done as supplementary to aid in unleashing the power in DOHC and turbo. If you do all those without using DOHC or turbo, the power gains are very minimal or even zero for the amount you spent. This is because those things you mentioned are things that limit the unleashing of power of your engine. It is not involved directly in the creation of power. Things like cams, turbo, DOHC, ECU are those that are directly involved in the creation of power.

Think of it, 2" piping. Without the sufficient exhaust air flow, 2" might just be overkill and you even lose torque. For adjustable cam pulley, if you play with it, lets say you retard the timing, both the intake and exhaust will be retarded together because it is a SOHC. Dyno sheets that I've seen before shows that the gains are very minimal, around 2-3 hp. Can google it. For lightened crank, you will get better response no doubt, but it defeats the purpose and your mods are not allowing your engine to spin high. Fuel pump and regulator, you are not running on boost. Your stock fuel pump is already more than enough to supply the fuel to your manifold at adequate pressure.

Hmm... I guess for a cost effective and significant increase, go for a low-boost BOT. With all the things you already have, looks like your engine is just waiting patiently to be BOT or have a MIVEC head swap!

Tq very much for ur informationary opinion...
I would love to do like what u said, having BOT or swap to MIVEC head.
BUT at first i want to maximize the power of SOHC.
Plz do let me know on how to maximize it without wasting money.
What to do first and what is the max hp i can reach for SOHC.

fatbusterd

Known Member
Jul 6, 2005
klang n brunei
sohc is fun....it can even beat dohc or mivec depends on each others mods....haha...
dont have to liten crank...try doing basin setting..like adjusting ur teppet`s..
lot more..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Hmm.. Okay... In that case, there's not much lo... Just cold air intakes + Ram air, iridium sparks, ignition coil, aftermarket high tension cables such as HKS ones, grounding, voltage stabilizer, Straight flow exhaust, Hydrogen fuel enrichment*, and at last NOS injection :biggrin:.

devilish306666

Jul 7, 2007
KL - MLK - JB
sohc is fun....it can even beat dohc or mivec depends on each others mods....haha...
dont have to liten crank...try doing basin setting..like adjusting ur teppet`s..
lot more..
Can u explain more... all the things i can do to the engine to make it more powerful...
& what type of settings that we can adjust other than teppet.
Tq.

Hmm.. Okay... In that case, there's not much lo... Just cold air intakes + Ram air, iridium sparks, ignition coil, aftermarket high tension cables such as HKS ones, grounding, voltage stabilizer, Straight flow exhaust, Hydrogen fuel enrichment*, and at last NOS injection :biggrin:.
Is that all? anything else that i can do? how about the afc?

*Other members plz giv more opinions...

fatbusterd

Known Member
Jul 6, 2005
klang n brunei
there r race cam`s,high cam`s also for sohc...the teppets r all on ur mechanics brains..how he wants it.
trotel body,injctor,..clutch...basic setup..

care to PM me..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site

DOHC and BOT is not everything... there are powerful SOHC NA engines out there as well....

devilish306666

Jul 7, 2007
KL - MLK - JB
there r race cam`s,high cam`s also for sohc...the teppets r all on ur mechanics brains..how he wants it.
trotel body,injctor,..clutch...basic setup..

care to PM me..
ok will do... thanx

DOHC and BOT is not everything... there are powerful SOHC NA engines out there as well....
bro, can u tell them that i need advices here. maybe they can share something

Dhgkc

Dec 5, 2009
Penang
Hi to all,

i've done the same engine transplant as u do with 4G92 ECU wiring(without O2 sensor)
manual gear box bout a year ago, not yet mod any internal parts, wat i do is install HKS mushroom,
OEM S'GTI extractor with 2' piping & straight flow muffler, NGK plug cable,
240cc injector (since my 4G92p injector gone) with adj. fuel regulator,
throttle body from 6A11 (bigger diameter compare with 4G92) with intake manifold re-bore to match,
455 (4G93 doch) air flow sensor... yes it lack some low end torque but engine climb smoother/faster
after 3k rpm but do not gain any HP(i think).

Few month ago i replace 2 gearbox mounting (underneath gearbox) with so call racing mounting
which help reduce engine movement but car shake lil' bit at idling and it really help on accelerate
n i'm able to catch up with stock S'GTI & Putra.

For adjustable campulley, lightened crank pulley, walbro fuelpump i personally don think it's necessary
n wont help much in power gain without heavy/internal mod done such as port & polish head or high cam etc.

Next mod on my list is high compression piston (from Mivec), port & polish head, e-manage or SAFC n racing clucth.
jz to share wat i've done n going to do.:hmmmm:

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...last few days been working on tuning sohc 4g92 and 93 for rally with 272 custom regrind cam....

for the 4g92 sohc from the dyno powerband starts from 4.5k rpm and pull heavily up to 8k rpm....with peak hp 166.....rev cut set to 7.2k rpm only.... :p

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

radiostar Advanced 2-Way Alarm System is suitable for all car makes.

Here's a list of car models that we have installed and the list is growing everyday!

In alphabetical order:

BMW
E36

Chevrolet
Aveo

Honda
Accord
Civic
CRX
Integra
Jazz

Kia
Picanto
Spectra

Mazda...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience