It's time to let it go......

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But in 1st, 2nd and 3rd you can redline it.

For point number 6 regarding interior quality, I think this applies for a lot of new cars nowadays. Vezel's interior does look better from photos but as for its material quality, it is hard to tell. But what I can say is, I've sat inside a Subaru XV before and despite its interior looking more plain than HRV, the tactile feel of dashboard buttons, switches does feel better than HRV. Interior material feels better too in XV.

Even in our local Proton cars, the old ones felt like they have a better material quality for the interior. The interior of Saga FLX feels cheaper than my old 1999 Wira. The Wira dashboard and door trim feels like leather while Saga feels plastic everywhere. Even the old Saga Iswara door trim feels like leather too compared to FLX and LMST.
haha old cars, the dash is actually a plastic piece wrapped with some material (i dont know if pvc, plasticish or rubberish material, cant tell) while new cars, its usually the plastic itself which is on the outside.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
haha old cars, the dash is actually a plastic piece wrapped with some material (i dont know if pvc, plasticish or rubberish material, cant tell) while new cars, its usually the plastic itself which is on the outside.
But these rubber kind of material feels better than pure plastic alone. Plus, some even seems to last quite long although occasionally exposed to sun light for many years.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
But these rubber kind of material feels better than pure plastic alone. Plus, some even seems to last quite long although occasionally exposed to sun light for many years.
i think its some sort of pvc sheets, i also like this material better, not so easy to scratch though some in the cases of the cars i saw, it was extremely disgusting... there was some sort of sticky oily layer on it...

*there is another sort of rubbery coating on some vw's, altezzas, fto's... now this.. this is the worst! these parts dont last, its terrible....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, soft feel better than the hard plastic type......lol:biggrin:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Older cars has a layer of vinyl outside and a thin piece of sponge between the plastic skeleton of the dashboard or door panel. Therefore when you touch it, it felt soft and plush. I remembered using notice board pins to pin my tissue box OR car perfume on the dash.

Newer cars however does not have this anymore. Just the hard layer itself. Airtrek is the same too. However Airtrek's plastic feel is softer when I knock on it as opposed to HRV's, hard and has a lighter tone. I think the plastic layer is thinner.

Anyway, I am not complaining that HRV's quality is bad. Maybe the design of the dash, it does not look that premium compared to Airtrek's. However, i still like the car cos it's easy to drive.

One thing that surprises me, I did not expect the handling to be 'acceptable' too. I do not race it for one, okay. I just drove it on those trunk kampung roads with lots of corners like touge and it seems to perform well for my expectation. I was initially thinking it will handle like a box-van. Hahaha..

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
But in 1st, 2nd and 3rd you can redline it.

I think 350Z is easy to get more power since the stock JDM version only gives out like 276hp due to their previous engine output regulations. Since it is a 3.5 litre, 276hp is not really the real max output of the engine I think.

Oh, sorry about my question earlier. After rereading, I actually misunderstood your meaning when you said you choose not to do it in order not to hamper your gearbox reliability. At first I thought you meant driving in manual mode for AT. You actually mean tweaking the gearbox setting in ECU isn't it?

From a 300hp car to a 140hp car, for sure you will feel that power is missing. But you'll probably get used to it after a while?
Yes the stock 350z is under power based on the engine specs they have. They can easily chunk out more.

No no, I said it is OKAY to shift manually and it will not cause wear and tear to the autobox even if we shift manually. Well that is unless you drive like a faggot-sively. Hehehehe...

Yeah, even my wife felt it. Honestly, HRV is quick taking off. In fact the response is so good that it's better than Airtrek (with turbo lag). However the problem is when overtaking.. haiyoooooo

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
One thing that surprises me, I did not expect the handling to be 'acceptable' too. I do not race it for one, okay. I just drove it on those trunk kampung roads with lots of corners like touge and it seems to perform well for my expectation. I was initially thinking it will handle like a box-van. Hahaha..
Van is way worse. If one wheel loose traction you are stuck.....lol
On Federal highway there was once a van tail me at around 90 kph but road was wet after rain. There was a car in front slowed down so I tap my brakes. This van I think lock brakes and start to serve into next lane hitting another car. Saw all in rear view mirror....:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
i think its some sort of pvc sheets, i also like this material better, not so easy to scratch though some in the cases of the cars i saw, it was extremely disgusting... there was some sort of sticky oily layer on it...

*there is another sort of rubbery coating on some vw's, altezzas, fto's... now this.. this is the worst! these parts dont last, its terrible....
Sticky oily layer? That surely feels worse than hard plastic.

Yup, soft feel better than the hard plastic type......lol:biggrin:
Agree. At least they feel like they can take in some punishment from force rather than hard plastic where you feel like they might just crack after being hit by something hard.

Older cars has a layer of vinyl outside and a thin piece of sponge between the plastic skeleton of the dashboard or door panel. Therefore when you touch it, it felt soft and plush. I remembered using notice board pins to pin my tissue box OR car perfume on the dash.

Newer cars however does not have this anymore. Just the hard layer itself. Airtrek is the same too. However Airtrek's plastic feel is softer when I knock on it as opposed to HRV's, hard and has a lighter tone. I think the plastic layer is thinner.

Anyway, I am not complaining that HRV's quality is bad. Maybe the design of the dash, it does not look that premium compared to Airtrek's. However, i still like the car cos it's easy to drive.

HR-V is based on the Jazz/Fit platform. Jazz/Fit is known for their good handling despite using torsion beam at rear. Handling should not be an issue for HR-V.

Yes the stock 350z is under power based on the engine specs they have. They can easily chunk out more.

No no, I said it is OKAY to shift manually and it will not cause wear and tear to the autobox even if we shift manually. Well that is unless you drive like a faggot-sively. Hehehehe...

Yeah, even my wife felt it. Honestly, HRV is quick taking off. In fact the response is so good that it's better than Airtrek (with turbo lag). However the problem is when overtaking.. haiyoooooo
Despite not a weak or slow car itself, 350Z does fare poorly compared to many other JDM performance cars. Cars like Evo, STI, Skyline GT-R, Supra, RX-7 all out performs it. In fact, I think the older Z32 300ZX may even outperform 350Z on straights too.

Now I know if next time I get to drive an auto, I can shift manually as much as I want. It was a funny experience the first time I drive with auto. It was just around my housing area. When I reach a junction, I stopped and shifted to neutral like MT. When I want to get out from the junction, I looked back at the gear console to check where D is. :rofl: Normally in MT, I just shift to 1 naturally and off I go. In AT, it feels weird to me.

Actually, how laggy is turbo lag? Is it that slow?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Turbo lag only at initial stage, before the turbine can spool enough force or boost. Old school turbo power comes in after 3k rpm, so the lag is from start till there. Once you in the high rpm range and keeping it there the power keeps coming...:rolleyes:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Turbo lag only at initial stage, before the turbine can spool enough force or boost. Old school turbo power comes in after 3k rpm, so the lag is from start till there. Once you in the high rpm range and keeping it there the power keeps coming...:rolleyes:
So, during the lag period, the car will feel underpowered? As for engine response, it is still the same right? Unlike in AT where you need to wait 1 second or so before the engine started to respond after pressing the throttle?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
The bigger the turbo, the more lag. And if it is mated with auto-box (which you can't rev to build boost to take off), it's worse.

I heard quite a few Airtrek owner either switching back to TD04 for drivability or some upgrading to 2.4L (more air to push the turbo) to avoid lag. For me, I just stayed at it is.

Yes, lag is so obvious that sometimes, I have no confident to cross road. Even if I floor the pedal, there's a momentarily delay before the car moves. Imagine if the on coming car is fast... really need to have good judgement.

The other thing is during traffic jam. When the car moves in front, you step the pedal softly, the car won't go. A huge slam will see a delay and by the time the car moves, some idiots cut in front of you and there also where boost suddenly kicks in. I cannot imagine how many times I almost 'kiss' the idiot in front.

Airtreks with Evo upgrades like mine are PERFECT for open roads. On highway driving, cruising at 180kph is a breeze. I am not boasting but it doesn't break sweat at all. Going to 200 mark is just tap on the pedal.

In stock TD04 form, it's a bit slow after 160kph. Alright, those are all history now for me. Hahaha...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The bigger the turbo, the more lag. And if it is mated with auto-box (which you can't rev to build boost to take off), it's worse.

I heard quite a few Airtrek owner either switching back to TD04 for drivability or some upgrading to 2.4L (more air to push the turbo) to avoid lag. For me, I just stayed at it is.

Yes, lag is so obvious that sometimes, I have no confident to cross road. Even if I floor the pedal, there's a momentarily delay before the car moves. Imagine if the on coming car is fast... really need to have good judgement.

The other thing is during traffic jam. When the car moves in front, you step the pedal softly, the car won't go. A huge slam will see a delay and by the time the car moves, some idiots cut in front of you and there also where boost suddenly kicks in. I cannot imagine how many times I almost 'kiss' the idiot in front.

Airtreks with Evo upgrades like mine are PERFECT for open roads. On highway driving, cruising at 180kph is a breeze. I am not boasting but it doesn't break sweat at all. Going to 200 mark is just tap on the pedal.

In stock TD04 form, it's a bit slow after 160kph. Alright, those are all history now for me. Hahaha...
First of all, the turbo in Airtrek's 4G63T is different from those in Evo? I actually thought the 4G63T in Airtrek is very similar to the ones found in Evo VII, VIII and IX. Just that Airtrek had lower output.

About crossing the road part, I think AT and turbo really gives a lot of restrictions to the car during lower speeds. Never thought that could be a problem considering your car had 4WD equipped which supposedly aid in acceleration. In MT cars, I think it is easier to do it fast when you want to cross the road. Just time the RPM higher or release the clutch faster and off you go.

You mean during traffic jam, your Airtrek just won't move by itself even when you are in D, with brake pedal and hand brake released?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
First of all, the turbo in Airtrek's 4G63T is different from those in Evo? I actually thought the 4G63T in Airtrek is very similar to the ones found in Evo VII, VIII and IX. Just that Airtrek had lower output.

About crossing the road part, I think AT and turbo really gives a lot of restrictions to the car during lower speeds. Never thought that could be a problem considering your car had 4WD equipped which supposedly aid in acceleration. In MT cars, I think it is easier to do it fast when you want to cross the road. Just time the RPM higher or release the clutch faster and off you go.

You mean during traffic jam, your Airtrek just won't move by itself even when you are in D, with brake pedal and hand brake released?
Airtrek's engine is the same as Evo with internals entirely different altogether. Smaller turbo, lower CC injectors, lower cams, smaller throttle body, less durable internals, softer valve springs, non-steel LSD etc etc.... so the 40 hp difference has a huge story behind.

On D, Airtrek will move, what I mean if I want the response to move ahead to close the gap from the car in front, it's slow and sluggish in terms of response.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, during the lag period, the car will feel underpowered? As for engine response, it is still the same right? Unlike in AT where you need to wait 1 second or so before the engine started to respond after pressing the throttle?
If not mistaken, Trek engine is de-tuned Evo 7. As mentioned by Edward the bigger the turbo the more the lag because take more time to spool. The car is not under powered if you compare to another car but you feel it is because you will compare it with the boost on and off.....hhahhaha
AT is worst because after boost comes in power transferred to auto gb box need torque converter transfer the power to wheel. something like 2 times lag.....lol :rofl:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If not mistaken, Trek engine is de-tuned Evo 7. As mentioned by Edward the bigger the turbo the more the lag because take more time to spool. The car is not under powered if you compare to another car but you feel it is because you will compare it with the boost on and off.....hhahhaha
AT is worst because after boost comes in power transferred to auto gb box need torque converter transfer the power to wheel. something like 2 times lag.....lol :rofl:
Well defined....

Airtrek is actually powerful compared to other street cars. But if compared to the performance league, it is entry level. That is why many of us just want to squeeze more out of it as we know it's easy. With almost infinite mods from Evo, you can't resist it... hehehe...

0-100 in 5.9 secs on D mode with a chassis weight of 1600kgs++, I won't complain

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After my Optimum Exora detail, I decided to carry out a more in depth trial of the Optimum line of compounds and polishes on a black car.

Started off with an Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) wash.

50/50 after ONR.

Taped up for the comparison test:

One section of the test...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience