what you guys think of mit. FTO?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
Back to say 4 years ago i think the car was still worth around RM100k 2nd hand, so that'll be mature working adults. More recently the price has dropped so i'll be guessing its the young working adults now due to the price range of 50-80k (its like buying a new waja). Middle aged men has since upgraded to evos and scoobies i presume. hehehe

Last edited:

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
[Joc]™ said:
Maybe need the piiishhh sound for you all to hear then only (ohhh sports car), just like the girls.
haha... bro... u r great man... Suddenly i like this sentence so much...
Very meaningful... and this describe malaysian car enthusiast how they definate the ''sport cars'' this 2 word...

kancil piiiish, kenari piiiiish, kelisa piiiiish, wira piiiiiishhh and later on myvi piiiish.... Ohhhh all sport car...
Ferrari no piiishhh....? Ohhhh not sport car....

Wuahahaha..... :mouth_closed: ^^^cabut^^^^

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
hahaha thanks tarrant. at least you appreciate the joke!! :D

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Previously, you mentioned that the maintenance isn't too bad. Mind putting some figures on not too bad? Say like, what's the average maintenance per-month or per-annum?

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
haha... joking only la...
But still salute to all perodua and proton turbo car owner...
Some of their car r really damn fast... My car very slow baiiiii....

But, 1 think must remember.... "fast car'' doesn't mean is sport car...
This is what malaysia car enthusiast think wrongly about sport car...
better correct it than being laugh by outsider...

Actually evo is not a sport car right? Is just a sport sedan...

Honestly im a turbo freak and a modder... I like japanese sport car so much especially silvia and skyline... but anyway it still cant compete with those ''stock'' ferrari and lambo...
They r our taiko although we have 1500Hp or even 2000HP on wheels, we still have to admit...

saintcute

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
hi joc,

very well written....from what i can see in the FTO club malaysia, most of the FTO owners are mature working adults in their mid 20s or 30s. The tiptronic will automatically shift to the next upper gear once u relieve the accelerator at the current gear. For mine, if the accelerator is pressed hard all the way to the max at the current gear, it will only shift at 8.5k RPM.

For those that are interested in FTO or owning a FTO, please come and join us at:
www.ftomalaysia.com

you will get to know other members and join us for some club events...which could be quite happening...:)

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
Hmmm, on average i've calculated RM200/month that includes oil, brake pads, tyres and one auxiliary pump failure replaced with reconditioned/2nd ones.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
I'm not a FTO fan but i know if you need more 'Juice', you can always dump a EVO engine in......

sPoOn3838

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
got a friend dump an evo 4 engine on his fto and after mod this and thaT!!
quater mile still not doing a good time!

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
There's a reason why the Evo had 4WD to go with all that power.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Considering to buy one, Silverfish? :biggrin:

Indeed lots of people who dont know jack about FTOs like to badmouth about whats essentially a car who, although having lost points in practicality, still won over its competitors to gain the title Japanese car of the year. I think by itself that speaks volumes. I also think its one of the Japanese cars that doesnt really look Japanese.

At one point I was really interested in owning one so I dug up all kinds of info about it, only to be more impressed by what seemed to be an average sports car. It was also one of the first sports car I sat in back then as a kid (Uncle had one when it first came to malaysia. It was an ATTRACTION back then), so fond memories there.

If I bought one though, it would be kept standard looking, pre-facelift with lowering springs. Thats when it looks the best IMO. It actually looks *a bit* like an Aston DB7, but thing is the FTO was sketched before the DB7 so go figure. :biggrin:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Zeroed said:
Considering to buy one, Silverfish? :biggrin:

Indeed lots of people who dont know jack about FTOs like to badmouth about whats essentially a car who, although having lost points in practicality, still won over its competitors to gain the title Japanese car of the year. I think by itself that speaks volumes. I also think its one of the Japanese cars that doesnt really look Japanese.

At one point I was really interested in owning one so I dug up all kinds of info about it, only to be more impressed by what seemed to be an average sports car. It was also one of the first sports car I sat in back then as a kid (Uncle had one when it first came to malaysia. It was an ATTRACTION back then), so fond memories there.

If I bought one though, it would be kept standard looking, pre-facelift with lowering springs. Thats when it looks the best IMO. It actually looks *a bit* like an Aston DB7, but thing is the FTO was sketched before the DB7 so go figure. :biggrin:
Hehehe...the thought has crossed my mind. :biggrin:

Like I said a few pages back, I've always had a liking for the FTO's compact shape and smooth, flowing lines. That's more my kind of thing. The butt isn't the most attractive thing in the world but hey, if you squint a little bit, it looks all better again.

You're right about it having a trace of DB7 going on there, the front, the headlights.

About the FTO winning the Jap Car of the Year award in 94, what else was launched in 94? That'll help give a better picture of how good it is.

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
tarrant8877 said:
haha... joking only la...
But still salute to all perodua and proton turbo car owner...
Some of their car r really damn fast... My car very slow baiiiii....

But, 1 think must remember.... "fast car'' doesn't mean is sport car...
This is what malaysia car enthusiast think wrongly about sport car...
better correct it than being laugh by outsider...

Actually evo is not a sport car right? Is just a sport sedan...

Honestly im a turbo freak and a modder... I like japanese sport car so much especially silvia and skyline... but anyway it still cant compete with those ''stock'' ferrari and lambo...
They r our taiko although we have 1500Hp or even 2000HP on wheels, we still have to admit...
oh the stereotyping . leave it for gov bashing threads la

edit - and as for the appearance debate , well just leave it since its ambiguous like how men rate women lah . different strokes for different folks or just open a poll to see a general consensus on the looks of the car .

Last edited:

Razorbl8

Mar 27, 2006
Wow well said [Joc]™,

I too own a FTO the car maintainance is easy and not too costly , Air filter uses perdana one, oil filter too ( i think around Rm 18 or something ) ..

Petrol consumption full tank gives me 400+ - KM depending how i drive..

Powerwise , well i wont say its the most powerfull car but sometimes will still get carried away because it reaches the speed cut zone easily . And how many cars around that have a red line of 8000RPM :angel_smile:

Parts personally is not hard to find coz there is a chop shop in segambut that only stores mitsu parts . The main prob that i face so far is the idling , that's the only prob i see so far in these car .

Designwise , i think it still looks great for a car that is around 10yr .. Still manage to turn heads whereever i go . all it needs is a nice rims and maybe some extra skirtings etc.

The owners in these club is somewhere around mid 20's up , and most of them also pretty much happy with the car . And if you ask any of the club members they would agree that the car has a lot of potential " in terms of modding the engine and handling "

Just think of this before you compare a FTO to another car , with the current petrol price goin up dont u think owning a FTO is worth it ??

Last edited:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
i seriously wonder why plp bash FTO so much.

IMHO, FTO is not bad at all. In fact, if i can afford one, i would seriously think of it (if i still not hit family man).

As i mentioned, i do have serious thought of it once and i do search alot over the nett for its performance potential and design kit. some of the bodykit really simple and looks great on it. So the car design really do have some timeless design. i dun see it tried to replica Supra design at all. its very much diff. If u look at the wheel arch design, its totally diff onwards. FTO rear still impress me the most in fact, much more thn the front look.

if you're thinking to get a babe magnet car, i think u shld change the perspective of having a car. To me, its more on a machine that challenge individualy driving skill and pleasure on the road. Not to tackle gals. If u wan babe magnet, belive me or not, get a civic or wira, mod it to be ricers look (no offend to ricer owner). I tell u, tons of the time i see cun cun chicks in the ricers modded car. hardly i see such gal in wat bmw, supra, or rx7.

As for performance, 200ps for such a weight, i do agreed abit underpower is wanna consider as supercar. but thn if u read thru the history or the market of FTO is trying to hit, thn u will understand why its only 200ps. so hope those basher get it rite. No doubt there is hardly any performance parts available for it but BOT turbo is not no possbile. with BOT on, 300ps is realistic. which is good enaugh for street sport. there is 6A13TT waiting for you but bear in mind, its not a easy swap. trust me.

again, if the basher do some history research, FTO was rated very very high on its handling. the comment was not frm me. but those highly respect tuner and racers. At some comment, even rated its better thn Dc2 on that time. Till now, u will still hear some of it.

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
Japanese cars are meant for tuning and modifications.Most people fail to remember that the japanese came to a "gentleman" agreement of producing cars with a limit of 280 PS. However, that does not matter. Super japanese sports are those that can be easily tuned to reach high HP. Thats why supra,rx7,skylines,silvias and evos are so popular, they can easily be tuned to reach 500 WHP without sweat.And on top of that, each of them have their own specialty.That is also why japanese cars are not so hyped about among the older generations because car modification is still a taboo to them. They rather just buy a car that is "ready to race" and just be done with it.

Mit FTO is not one of those japanese cars that can easily pump out HP, thats why its not very famous. However, maybe it excels in other areas such as handling. But if you want a car with good handling, there are many other cars available (including continental), so why FTO ? Is it the looks that appeal to you ?To me, i rather get a car that has a "special" benefit among the rest of the cars on the market, thats why FTO is not for me because if i want to buy a car for handling, there are many cars that can fit that description. Unless of course i REALLY dig the looks, which i dont.

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
Hey saintcute, today saw a FTO selling around 50K year 94...
Huh... Think of getting 1... Love the tiptronic gearbox...
Better than driving perdana v6 and accord around that price range..
But cant get much loan right... Have to pay most of them by cash.. Sigh...

saintcute

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
hi tarrant,

yeah, kind of hard to secure a loan for a 94 car unless you have some kind of "connection" with the appropriate parties. I had done some researches before i bought this car and i never regret the decision to have it......i used to drive a fiat coupe 20vt plus before this car..so i know why is it worth the purchase. u can call me anytime if you are interested to look at the car so u can understand more and have a look n feel....i am around PJ area most of the time...:)..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have bought a 4L bottle in Tesco, but it is not sufficient for my car. Anyone knows where i can buy those small 1L Mobil 1 engine oil, since there is no longer Esso/Mobil stations around anymore?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience