what you guys think of mit. FTO?

saintcute

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
hi guys,

what so you think of Mit.FTO.
1) Is it a nice to look at car based on its timeless design?
2) ever thinking of owning one?
3) is it a gal-magnet?
4) the impression on the persons that own a FTO that you may came acrosss before?
5) your personal view on it in term of performance, popularity etc.

hope this is sth we can discuss on this rare breed in Malaysia.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Jackie chan once drove the car in a Hongkie movie. Thnderbolt. My opinion, the car is pretty nice. Visually, the stock wheel arch is a bit small for for a sporty-looking (Personally, I wouldn't call it a sportcar) car. The relatively small wheel arch oso can be seen in Hyundai Coupe.

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
1) Is it a nice to look at car based on its timeless design? trying to look like a supra ?
2) ever thinking of owning one? FF - only for daily driver maybe ?
3) is it a gal-magnet? - thanks 2 f&f series maybe ?
4) the impression on the persons that own a FTO that you may came acrosss before? FF and sports = oxymoron IMO
5) your personal view on it in term of performance, popularity etc - dun like just because its better to get a FR or 4wd for a sports car ?

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
ken yeang,
I thought jackie chan drove the GTO instead of the FTO?

The following pictures has been taken from www.myfto.co.uk website. Ownership and copyright and bla bla bla belongs to that website.

FTO

The following pictures has been taken from www.gtouk.org.uk website. Ownership and copyright and bla bla bla belongs to that website.
GTO

drMpower

May 1, 2006
timeless design? naahhh...just SUPRA look alike

thinking of owning one? again a big NO!

gal magnet? well, put aside that FTO to a 3series bimmer and you will get the answer. it is obvious. me never got problem riding chick magnet rides as I AM THE CHICK MAGNET. hehehehehehehe

impression on the guy owning FTO? probably he's just a lonely bloke who struggle to score with even decent chick. midlife crisis of being a lonely, over aged bachelor!

performance? probably the people designing FTO worked too hard and tried to match SUPRA. they should have stick to Mitsu proven 4WD models.

popularity? ever heard of FTO replacement model? I bet you never. or anyone ever.

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
hhmm..... *scratches head*.... I thought halloween was in october? Who was the culprit who let loose an empty headed pig clown in here?

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
IMHO:

1) looks great, but there's an identity prob: "WOW!! SUPRA!! oh wait.... its just an FTO..." --- inferior wannabe version of something great... if supra never existed then it might be a different story.

2) no, with my kind of driving habits i might crash and die in an FF with over 100hp.

3) if she wear magnet plated mini-skirt.... lol

4) in my case, those that i can remember: ah beng with taste / 30 year old who like supra/rx7 looks but don't want to pay roadtax for 3L engine

5) The 2liter v6 models should be powerful enough for a 1.2 ton car (more with driver and fuel ofcourse) for daily driving. Its just a sporty looking car, not a sport car. Personally, i do think that if you like to look cool cruising in the city, this car is way better than those ah beng's over-makeup wiralution. For non petrol-head, this might be more than enough, otherwise, get a lanevo instead.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Supra look-alike? You guys must be blind or have only seen both cars in pictures...

I dig the FTO looks. I think the pre-facelift model is one of the best looking japanese sportscar of its class, and it won the 1994 or something Japanese car of the year too.

There is nothing wrong with an FF sports car of this class. The FTO is one of the better handling FF sports cars infact. (Seen it clocking faster lap times than the EK9 on some jap programme, remember the EK9 is a semi-track setup car), and a great sounding engine too. And how many people actually push their cars to its limits to be able to utilize 4WD? Meh.

Some of you guys are talking as if all cars are free and everyone has the same driving preference. I keep it in mind that cars have different classes and should be compared as such.

edit: Those of you who shun FF, ever driven an FF with a good LSD?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
its not bad...looks nice for me at least.....

maybe im riding 4wd cars..will own it if has extra cash, no harm

3) is it a gal-magnet?
maybe if with some modification on it

4) the impression on the persons that own a FTO that you may came acrosss before?
not sure wat kind of impression....not much special of it..just an FTO

performance wise i not sure coz nvr drive once....

equin0x

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
KL
www.keiconcept.net
1) FTO.. more like a coupe 'feel' to me..

2) Currently with a FF, would like to try a FR/MR/AWD so it might not be for me

3) Gal magnet? Back then maybe, but not now. If modded case, that depend.

4) Just a normal car enthusiast dude, or a pure FTO fans since younger days. Why? Answer below at #5.

5) FTO is equipped with a 2litre V6 MIVEC (speaking of the best of the best spec, GPX/GP Version R) pumping only 200PS@7500rpm on crank with a 200Nm if torque@6500rpm. Somehow a 200PS on a 1210kg shell is quite a put off for a so called 'performance-based' car. Back then this car is developed with the 5-speed INVECS-II triptronic gearbox, based on *i forgoted* Porsche's technology if not mistaken. So to me i think its good to be labelled as sports coupe rather that a performance beast, so to speak. Unless someone decided to held this engine a wedding ceremony with the 7th gen Galant's 6A12 Twin turbo, making it a V6 MIVEC TT.

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
-wat?well,looks wise..to me.nah.

-not really.not many upgrades out there too.

3) is it a gal-magnet?
-if the gal doesnt know jack about cars..then yeah. :)

-none of my frens own one.

first of all,i dont really like a car called "Fresh Touring Organisation"
performance?my thing is more like,forced induction.
popularity,well,u'll know when ur on the road.

saintcute

Known Member
Jan 23, 2006
for me, FTO is a good handling FF car, and as a 2.0 NA car, it is pretty much tolerable in term of performance compare to other higher end sport cars (mostly turbocharged). The engine sounds good with 200hp to be unleashed pushing the car forward...easily hitting the 180 on the limited speedometer, remove the speed limiter, you will get 230. the tiptronic gearbox could learn your drivin style and shifting to the next gear at redlining 8.5k RPM is thrilling in auto mode.

it can still turn some heads with some college chicks looking at it with full admiration, while the working ladies walked pass with a short glance. undoubtly, the design of FTO is beyond its time that won it the japan car of the year 1994. Not many sport car can win the same title and that proved that it is certainly not as bad as claimed by some people.

This car was driven by Jackie Chan in the movie "thunderbolt". Some of us still remember the chasing scene on the HK public road between the silver manual edition FTO and the black nissan Skyline GTR32. An undisclosed number of 4WD FTO were produced and only used in Japan. GTO was used in the track race at the end of the movie.

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
FTO not bad if compare with its class... Now second hand price also quite affordable... FTO cant cmpare wth supra coz is different class..

If still wana compare then of course supra is far more better in terms of every aspect... Just like comparing skyline with ferrari enzo.... very unfair...
If i got much more money of course i wont choose FTO... And even wont buy all those 4WD car (BNR34, evo9, STI or FR S15).... Will straight buy ferrari or lambo...
So its depend to the budget of every individual lo...

With its price which is almost the same with EK bigV (FF), putra(FF), hyundai coupe(FF), wira convert evo....and so on, i rather buy FTO frankly speaking... It still look cun if nicely modded... I think will still attract some chick if compare with EK9 or some other FF car... haha.. That is what i think.... :P :)

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
based on a simple zth search , prices for a fto ranges from 50k-75k depending on the year and mods.

so since some of u guys insist on talking about FF car class - what are the contenders for that price range - based on market price now ? or some shifu here can tell us the MSRP then and also made during that 1994 period or so ?

id think the honda eg6 i think or integra dc2 would give the FTO a good run for its money but then the FTO has 2 more cylinders , unfair comparison ? lol

found this video - http://videos.streetfire.net/search/fto+vs+honda/0/395bdb2e-bc9f-4008-add2-b4fe3be963cc.htm

bestlap even with typeRs @ tsukuba time attack by the bestmotoring crew.so its proven to be as fast at the circuit as typeRs , interesting stuff .

performance details aside , ill think id change my opinion from trying hard to trying VERY hard to be a supra in terms of looks which got me posting in the first place . first taste/impression is with the eyes ya ?

booty pic ftw , ownz the pics satria posted lol

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Personally, I dig the FTO's looks. Compact, clean and blessed with good curves and proportion, unlike a lot of modern designs. I wouldn't think it is a Supra wannabe, in fact I never thought it that way. For one, I never liked the Supra's looks, a little too fatboy for me. In the same way I prefer the old 3 series BMW over the new one or the AM V8 Vantage over the Vanquish.

Speaking of proper proportion, one poster here commented that the FTO has small wheel arches and somehow that's a bad thing. I think the FTO's wheel arches suits it just fine. I'm one of the guys who criticises the current design trend to make cars fit as big a wheel as possible.

Anyway, the FTO is more a sports coupe along the likes of the Integra and Prelude class. It shouldn't be compared with the cars in the upper bracket like the Supra's and Skylines. The 4WD Evos and Scoobies are saloons which happen to have some serious performance and that's in a different category as well.

A proper, balanced FF car can actually be rather good, as proven by the Integra Type-R. And as posted by others, the FTO actually stood up to the type-Rs on a track. It has got a spanking good engine; 6 cylinders and 200bhp sounds good.

I have actually fancied owning one before, but it wasn't the most economically viable option, put it that way. Now, I'm not so sure. The past few times I've seen FTOs now, they've been driven by fucking hooligans. Probably because of its lower used price nowadays, a lot of hormonally charged, pea brained, numb nuts are getting a hold of one. So, I don't want to buy into that kind of image.

Chick magnet? Stop buying cars thinking it is a chick magnet. Money is a chick magnet. Not cars. Expensive looking cars just alludes to having a lot of money which is what draws the chicks. Which is why shiny new Beemers tend to be a fav amongst local chicks, because it supposedly signifies that the owner is young, virile and loaded (which isn't necessarily the case).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all, I bought a Satria recently from my friend's cousin, who is a car enthusiast himself. Overall car is in great running condition save for a little problem I have noticed, which is the fuel consumption. The Satria 1.3 is supposed to be quite an economical car to run right? I drive to and from work everyday, working in Mid Valley staying in Petaling Jaya SS26. And I avoid the jams every morning by going out early but I have noticed that the fuel needle drops quite drastically even when I...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience