what you guys think of mit. FTO?

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
fto is a nice car with its radical looks that reminds me of fiat multipla. its comfortable for two, it has a good design and ergonomics although the performance maybe a bit ...decent. yes, a manual would be a better option. its more like a touring than a sports. a sports-touring perhaps. hehe

personally, i would opt for AR145. not because of chick magnet(which i don't care ahah), its just i like the car. no idea why

but hey, fto is not that bad anyway. of course la cannot tapau skyline or evo etc..because it was not meant to be. :mouth_closed:

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
1) Is it a nice to look at car based on its timeless design?
The looks are ok. Way better than any local car or average Jap sedan. But I hate the fact that it looks like a Supra poser.

2) ever thinking of owning one?
I was offered an FTO once, when looking for a new car. Ended up buying the Satria R3 instead. No regrets whatsoever since the latter is quicker, outhandles the former, easy to find parts, manual gearbox and yes, also a chick magnet. Plus brand new vs 8yr old car for the same price...

3) is it a gal-magnet?
I think cars have only a 20% factor of being a chick magnet. The other 80% is looks and personality of the owner. The FTO will fool chicks for awhile, until they get laughed at by their friends with boyfriends who own true sportscars.

4) the impression on the persons that own a FTO that you may came acrosss before?
Respect. Got money to maintain rare Japanese car and time to find spare parts.

5) your personal view on it in term of performance, popularity etc.
Performance? Never thought of the FTO as a performance car, which is the main reason why I didn't go for it. Other than that, my personal opinion is that if you comply with #4 above, go for a Fiat Coupe 20VT+ instead.

sPoOn3838

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
To share my oppinion.
used to have a White FTO for 4 years!
let s talk about Advantage first!
1) when driven on the road people tought its Ferarrie! every 1 stealing at U
2) Love at first sign!! Gal Magnito!
3) Powered with 200hp,
beat most of NA car including ;
skyline GTS
Celica
ingetra no R
also lancer GSR turbo! (standard)

4) quater mile losing to Integra Type R =total lost! Civic type R lost when pick up half car.
5) With Tanabe Touring suspension, it very good in handling but like seating on top of horses!

Disadvantage
1)The part Freaking expensive!!! timing belt i belive its the longest belt among all NA car!
2)spare part no quality!!! easy to spoil!( my FTO repair alot!)
3)spare part hard to find, even in japan!
4)the Triptonic Invec semiauto gearbox =CRAP. its mitsubishi first experiment gearbox and rosak tak henti!

By the way my FTO is MIVEC MAnual. overral i will not buy fto anymore, will chose DC better low maintanent! my previous integra still runing well compare with FTO.

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
i've read some misconceptions about the FTO from a few of you guys, so i'll try to shed some light if you allow me to, cause i happen to own one:

1. FTO is one of the BEST handling Japanese sportscar. In the FF class its classed 2nd best under the DC2. I remember the DC2 and the FTO GPX were ALWAYS compared to each other. I've seen a lot of people complain endlessly that the FTO understeers cause the V6 engine too heavy, i think it's rubbish. Even TopGear thinks its really good... http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/reviews.htm

2. FTO GPX does 0-100kmph in 6.3seconds. And erm, if that doesn't prove that the FTO is a sports coupe, i dont know what else can convice you guys. Maybe need the piiishhh sound for you all to hear then only (ohhh sports car), just like the girls.

3. The FTO was dragged raced on the road with an RX-8 recently, they tied. Believe it or not? RX-8 must not be a sports car either to the few of you. Oh and the FTO creamed Satria GTi's too, so GTi's are not sports cars too.

4. The maintenance for the FTO has been pretty good so far. Some parts are expensive and hard to find, some are easy. But the car hasnt been giving much problems, just gotta stop being a n00b and find the right parts at the right place. Also, the fuel consumption is soooooooooooooooo good. Perdana engine on a small and light car = save lots of fuel. So it turns into an awesome daily driver but power packed when u need it to be.

5. The aerodynamics of the car in just plain awesome! Did you know that if you wind the drivers window down and drive up to 100kmph, the air from the outside will not come in and mess your hair up? No wind/air actually comes into the inside of the car. And if you go a little quicker, you'll hear gushes of air outside, then i'll know my car is piercing through the air and flow seperation is occuring. Now, that is why the FTO has such curves. I truly admit the butt is ugly personally, but heck if it delivers that kind of aerodynamics, i don't really mind. Just slap on a nice bodykit and it'll be fine.

6. Its a well designed chassis, good aero and good handling. Its not a fused together car, its not a wannabe supra, (btw supra released 1993, FTO 1994, so its just 1year/few months apart), its got WAY BETTER interior than Civics and Integras made in 1994, its got a superb INVECS II gearbox. Yes i've heard that the gearbox is unreliable, but its so far so good for me. The gearbox will actually go into "race" mode when you put your foot fully down, or when u use the brakes heavily. It will automatically decide to only shift for you at 7000+rpm, it will AUTO downshift for you when u are braking, its amazing technology!! So the gearbox will try to predict your driving through throttle & brake sensors along with the accelerometers. Kudos to Porsche in coming up with such a wonderful thing, and thanks Mitsubishi for bringing that technology to lower end users. Erm, lets see the if new Honda City 7 Speed Formula 1 gearbox can do it. But oh well if we dont know how to appreciate the INVECS II then lets just throw it out and get a manual dogbox. Btw, even the E7 GT-A uses INVECS III.

Now, since i'm done with my ramblings, i'll answer the questions.. :P

It still stands out and still turn heads and as long as it keeps doing that, it's considered nice to look at.

Own one.

3) is it a gal-magnet?
Yea, a few girls prefered to hop in this car than the PIISHH Lanevo. They didn't like the noisy evo. To be dead honest, the FTO turns more girl heads than evos and scoobys. Trust me, i know that for sure. Only the guys would go like FUUUAHHH EVO AHHH.... SUBALU AHHH... chicks will just look at the car, and then look at the driver..

4) the impression on the persons that own a FTO that you may came acrosss before?
Poor FTO owners, always kena flame cause other people dont understand the FTO

Popularity is like near zero i think. In terms of performance and price... i think in a very malaysian manner i can concisely and loudly say "Its very VALUE ahh!!!"

My 5cents worth.

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
tarrant8877 said:
If skyline = enzo, why ferrari enzo 10 times more expensive than skyline??

Skyline mod kawkaw till extreme 1500HP, if enzo mod kawkaw till extreme how many HP do u think??? 4000HP??
Why not we say that wira mod kaw kaw then compete with stock skyline?
Wira with 400-500HP tapao stock skyline is normal in sepang...
So wira is as good as skyline? should sell at 300K? can compare and same class with skyline???

Why all jap car mod kawkaw must compete with ferrari car, lambo, porsche...and so on? Why not compete with other brand of car?? Izit ferrari, lambo, porsche famous with its performance and 'fast'??

Oush... I guess i talk too much and too many question.... Afraid being ''cucuk'' by ppl..
So sorry everybody... hehe...:_:

Sorry but Exotica cannot be modded =( I dont know, but once you own a few exoticas and japanese sports, put the NAME aside which contributes to the price, i find japanese sport is still the most fun to drive, and feels better to drive.

Oh ya for your info, to change a ferrari timing belt cost RM20,000 because only 1 shop has tools for it therefore they RIP people off. It is terrible..and the car is nothing great

Last edited:

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
[Joc]™ said:
i've read some misconceptions about the FTO from a few of you guys, so i'll try to shed some light if you allow me to, cause i happen to own one:

1. FTO is one of the BEST handling Japanese sportscar. In the FF class its classed 2nd best under the DC2. I remember the DC2 and the FTO GPX were ALWAYS compared to each other. I've seen a lot of people complain endlessly that the FTO understeers cause the V6 engine too heavy, i think it's rubbish. Even TopGear thinks its really good... http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/reviews.htm

2. FTO GPX does 0-100kmph in 6.3seconds. And erm, if that doesn't prove that the FTO is a sports coupe, i dont know what else can convice you guys. Maybe need the piiishhh sound for you all to hear then only (ohhh sports car), just like the girls.

3. The FTO was dragged raced on the road with an RX-8 recently, they tied. Believe it or not? RX-8 must not be a sports car either to the few of you. Oh and the FTO creamed Satria GTi's too, so GTi's are not sports cars too.

4. The maintenance for the FTO has been pretty good so far. Some parts are expensive and hard to find, some are easy. But the car hasnt been giving much problems, just gotta stop being a n00b and find the right parts at the right place. Also, the fuel consumption is soooooooooooooooo good. Perdana engine on a small and light car = save lots of fuel. So it turns into an awesome daily driver but power packed when u need it to be.

5. The aerodynamics of the car in just plain awesome! Did you know that if you wind the drivers window down and drive up to 100kmph, the air from the outside will not come in and mess your hair up? No wind/air actually comes into the inside of the car. And if you go a little quicker, you'll hear gushes of air outside, then i'll know my car is piercing through the air and flow seperation is occuring. Now, that is why the FTO has such curves. I truly admit the butt is ugly personally, but heck if it delivers that kind of aerodynamics, i don't really mind. Just slap on a nice bodykit and it'll be fine.

6. Its a well designed chassis, good aero and good handling. Its not a fused together car, its not a wannabe supra, (btw supra released 1993, FTO 1994, so its just 1year/few months apart), its got WAY BETTER interior than Civics and Integras made in 1994, its got a superb INVECS II gearbox. Yes i've heard that the gearbox is unreliable, but its so far so good for me. The gearbox will actually go into "race" mode when you put your foot fully down, or when u use the brakes heavily. It will automatically decide to only shift for you at 7000+rpm, it will AUTO downshift for you when u are braking, its amazing technology!! So the gearbox will try to predict your driving through throttle & brake sensors along with the accelerometers. Kudos to Porsche in coming up with such a wonderful thing, and thanks Mitsubishi for bringing that technology to lower end users. Erm, lets see the if new Honda City 7 Speed Formula 1 gearbox can do it. But oh well if we dont know how to appreciate the INVECS II then lets just throw it out and get a manual dogbox. Btw, even the E7 GT-A uses INVECS III.

Now, since i'm done with my ramblings, i'll answer the questions.. :P

It still stands out and still turn heads and as long as it keeps doing that, it's considered nice to look at.

Own one.

3) is it a gal-magnet?
Yea, a few girls prefered to hop in this car than the PIISHH Lanevo. They didn't like the noisy evo. To be dead honest, the FTO turns more girl heads than evos and scoobys. Trust me, i know that for sure. Only the guys would go like FUUUAHHH EVO AHHH.... SUBALU AHHH... chicks will just look at the car, and then look at the driver..

Poor FTO owners, always kena flame cause other people dont understand the FTO

Popularity is like near zero i think. In terms of performance and price... i think in a very malaysian manner i can concisely and loudly say "Its very VALUE ahh!!!"

My 5cents worth.
Ahhh...a proper FTO owner at last. Good on you mate!

Isn't there a Malaysia FTO club or something where people can get to know more?

Last edited:

sPoOn3838

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
you can felt the power on turbo when turn up 3000rpm on turbo car, FTO also can felt the power when it goes up 5000rpm !!! stick on chair!!!!
still miss the feeling!!!!!!

infernaL

2,000 RPM
May 22, 2005
N/A
HanJackaL said:
Sorry but Exotica cannot be modded =( I dont know, but once you own a few exoticas and japanese sports, put the NAME aside which contributes to the price, i find japanese sport is still the most fun to drive, and feels better to drive.

Oh ya for your info, to change a ferrari timing belt cost RM20,000 because only 1 shop has tools for it therefore they RIP people off. It is terrible..and the car is nothing great
er do you consider a Ford GT a exotica ? if so please refer to this thread -

http://zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=112750&highlight=joe

btw theres a bigger engine going in at the moment as the current 330ci , thats 5.4L V8 for you and me with its twin turbos producing a decent 1000hp or so isnt powerful enough .

j/k , real reason is he got beat by a turbo busa . or maybe he will just get a Viper and then mod it lol

Last edited:

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
Back to say 4 years ago i think the car was still worth around RM100k 2nd hand, so that'll be mature working adults. More recently the price has dropped so i'll be guessing its the young working adults now due to the price range of 50-80k (its like buying a new waja). Middle aged men has since upgraded to evos and scoobies i presume. hehehe

Last edited:

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
[Joc]™ said:
Maybe need the piiishhh sound for you all to hear then only (ohhh sports car), just like the girls.
haha... bro... u r great man... Suddenly i like this sentence so much...
Very meaningful... and this describe malaysian car enthusiast how they definate the ''sport cars'' this 2 word...

kancil piiiish, kenari piiiiish, kelisa piiiiish, wira piiiiiishhh and later on myvi piiiish.... Ohhhh all sport car...
Ferrari no piiishhh....? Ohhhh not sport car....

Wuahahaha..... :mouth_closed: ^^^cabut^^^^

[Joc]

Known Member
May 5, 2004
hahaha thanks tarrant. at least you appreciate the joke!! :D

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
Previously, you mentioned that the maintenance isn't too bad. Mind putting some figures on not too bad? Say like, what's the average maintenance per-month or per-annum?

tarrant8877

500 RPM
Sep 12, 2004
KL / IPOH
Visit site
haha... joking only la...
But still salute to all perodua and proton turbo car owner...
Some of their car r really damn fast... My car very slow baiiiii....

But, 1 think must remember.... "fast car'' doesn't mean is sport car...
This is what malaysia car enthusiast think wrongly about sport car...
better correct it than being laugh by outsider...

Actually evo is not a sport car right? Is just a sport sedan...

Honestly im a turbo freak and a modder... I like japanese sport car so much especially silvia and skyline... but anyway it still cant compete with those ''stock'' ferrari and lambo...
They r our taiko although we have 1500Hp or even 2000HP on wheels, we still have to admit...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need some help here....

Can anyone advise on the difference between the 2 adjustable fuel regulators? Heard that FSE is supposed to be the better one....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience