Restore ur rims on your own today..

DJgErM

4,000 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
SIC Turn 7 & 8
www.germ.cjb.net
:o This is one of my small wedsport RS-5 restoration project..

just wanna share with u guys..

ImageShack - Hosting :: diy01jx0.jpg

initial look of the rim..

ImageShack - Hosting :: diy03id3.jpg

sent to the shop to do some knocking (cost me rm 20), and use a rough grid sand paper to sand off all the burnt paint and surfaces that are not even..

and then use a smaller grid sand paper to sand the rim thoroughly wit water..and sand until all surfaces are as smooth as baby's skin. after that, use some good oil remover detergent like dish washing liquid to wash the rim thoroughly to make sure no oil/grease is left on the surface..

ImageShack - Hosting :: dsc05547ad1.jpg

this if how the rim looks after you spray..but my personal secret is actually using undercoat paint..so it'll last..because i could withstand higher temperature and natural wear and tear compared to the normal aerosol spray with gloss..

thus...i chose matte flat black..

and remember..spray multiple THIN layers will result better texture and it'll be much more lasting..

ImageShack - Hosting :: diy04lx9.jpg

these are all the sprayed rims that are left to dry under the sun..

hope the tips are helpful

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
Nice job u done there bro... Always been thinking to restore my rims as well... whats the timeframe like.. how long did it take u to finish this great job?

DJgErM

4,000 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
SIC Turn 7 & 8
www.germ.cjb.net
ehm..thanks bro..

in fact, the preparation part was the time consuming one...like sanding and washing itself..

but the preparation work is one of the most important one..as if the surface is smooth, it'll stick on well and looks more smooth and lasting..

for sanding and the preparation phase, it took me half a day..spraying the next day with undercoat + paint was like 2 hours...all in all, its 5 - 6 thin layers..

DJgErM

4,000 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
SIC Turn 7 & 8
www.germ.cjb.net
this is damn cool man. what brand of spray paint you used? how many layers you sprayed?

any brand will do..i tried nippon,dove...some local cikai one..all will do..

but i suggest that undercoat paint should be your priority..if i've not mistaken, there are few colors...eg:undercoat black,undercoat silver,undercoat rusty red(like earth color)..but for the undercoat, do applay thin layer too and let it dry thoroughly under the sun..and then only spray the color u wish...

for super duper lasting...my own rims is sprayed with undercoat rusty red and then add on with undercoat silver..used bout a year now..still looks the same..

all in all, its 5 - 6 thin layers.. 2 thin undercoat + 3-4 thin layer of the color u want..

1 can of undercoat + 2 color aerosol paint will do the job..

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
Im so motivated to go ahead and do this.. but.. im so lazy to remove all 4 rims n tyres from the car.. it's gonna be so troublesome... arghhh!!!.. how did u manage? did u revert back to stock rims for the time being until u got the job done? or do u have multiple car jacks?

DJgErM

4,000 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
SIC Turn 7 & 8
www.germ.cjb.net
nope..spare rims..but bro...i did my own silver rims with the tires on it..

i jacked up my car lo >.< took me a day man..

what are u waiting for?..keke..it may sound troublesome..but the satisfaction ratio over the trouble...it pays off...get to save ur pocket also la..:biggrin:

joethurr

500 RPM
Sep 11, 2007
hmm hmm.... u trying to motivate me... thanks thanks...maybe this weekend i purchase the stuff.. and next weekend is project time.. that is if i dont go drinking extensively as i always do la.. With the tyres on? sure not damaging to tyres ar?.. I dont think it is possible for me to jack up my car.. only got 2 jacks... :( most prolly change back to old rims.. arghhh.. so troublesome.. or.. do 1 rims at a time.. HAHAHA

DJgErM

4,000 RPM
Feb 16, 2005
SIC Turn 7 & 8
www.germ.cjb.net
hmm hmm.... u trying to motivate me... thanks thanks...maybe this weekend i purchase the stuff.. and next weekend is project time.. that is if i dont go drinking extensively as i always do la.. With the tyres on? sure not damaging to tyres ar?.. I dont think it is possible for me to jack up my car.. only got 2 jacks... :( most prolly change back to old rims.. arghhh.. so troublesome.. or.. do 1 rims at a time.. HAHAHA
can one la bro...u can use masking tape to mask ur tires or i recommend u to use poker cards to cucuk aroudn the side of ur rim..trust me..it will work..

gambate bro...keke :)

ExODus

Known Member
May 14, 2006
Nice... Job done well... Thanks for sharing...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have a King Eagle alarm. I took my truck to get detailed, when they were finished the truck would start by remote but would suddenly died, the key will not start the truck. The status LED lights are on solid, the remote works, I disconnected the battery over night, tried turning valet on and off. Now it wont remote start or key start. Is there a way to disengage the ignition kill?

Please HELP.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience