DIY Flat Black Rims

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
I know its the hazy season and everyone is staying indoors, but I cant stand to look at my faded rims!
I had lining which used to be RED in colour, now its becoming PINK (thank you sunlight )! Haze or shine, DIY painting day it is!

So I decided to paint my rims to black. Flat Black ( after being poisoned by my cousin ).
Hardware store I went, and got myself 2 Cans of Anchor paint, Flat Black C29 if I'm not mistaken..
Came back, washed the tires and let it dry. Okay, it took soooooooo long so I wiped it clean and waited a few more minutes to let it dry properly..

It was a spontaneous job, as I didn't really prepare the stuffs needed properly (excited coz I have 2 cans of Flat Black to play with ) :biggrin:
So what i used to mask off the tires was some cloth tape i found laying around the house. Old news papers come in handy right now, covered the tires, brakes and springs and spray on!

After about 13-15 coats, or 1 and a half can of spray later, i was quite satisfied with the result..
Sorry if the pics are small :adore:
Oh yeah, don't forget your mask, safety first!

If you happen to see a black Saga LMST with Flat Black rims, u know its me :proud::biggrin:

Attachments

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Yup bro...sanding is so that d paint 'sticks' better on d surface..

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
Nice spontaneous job... Sometimes the fun in DIY is being spontaneous w/o planning...Just itchy hands.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ok..i teach u another trick to do a "quickie" spray job on the wheels....

use the play card (poker card) to cover the tyre bead instead of wasting time on wrapping it with masking tape+newspaper...

easy to put....easy to remove.....saves a lot of time...

example here: Fire Starting Automobil: DIY tip-tip cara cat sport rim sendiri

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
ok..i teach u another trick to do a "quickie" spray job on the wheels....

use the play card (poker card) to cover the tyre bead instead of wasting time on wrapping it with masking tape+newspaper...

easy to put....easy to remove.....saves a lot of time...

example here: Fire Starting Automobil: DIY tip-tip cara cat sport rim sendiri
haha yeah, but being spontaneous, i forgot to buy the cards and i had already washed my rims, sayang to go out and wash the rims and wait for it to dry again.. it was almost 6pm already, wanna finish the job before it gets dark..

About sanding it, i totally forgot about it :hmmmm: maybe i'll do it next time i spray my rims, maybe to a different colour :biggrin:

taken today:

Attachments

Last edited:

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
haha yeah, but being spontaneous, i forgot to buy the cards and i had already washed my rims, sayang to go out and wash the rims and wait for it to dry again.. it was almost 6pm already, wanna finish the job before it gets dark..

About sanding it, i totally forgot about it :hmmmm: maybe i'll do it next time i spray my rims, maybe to a different colour :biggrin:

taken today:
Regardless it's stil a good DIY-er job..:proud:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Last time when I did mine, I first took off the rims from the car before I worked on them. Cuz I don't want the paint dust to stick on my car's paint. And yeah, you should've sanded them before spraying to make the paint last longer.

Btw why not try the plasti dip thingy?

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Last time when I did mine, I first took off the rims from the car before I worked on them. Cuz I don't want the paint dust to stick on my car's paint. And yeah, you should've sanded them before spraying to make the paint last longer.

Btw why not try the plasti dip thingy?
Yeah, next spray session will include sanding first hehe.
Plasti Dip hmm haven't come across it yet. how much is it by the way?

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Okay so i had time today. Rims look okay, but something is missing. The blood red brake calipers!
Off to the hardware store, bought me a can of Vermillon Red spray can ( and a Flat Black for touch up ) and started to have another DIY day.

Being the spontanious me, i did a lazy-diy project again to paint my calipers red.
So here's what i did;

1) admire your rims and imagine how it will look like if the calipers are painted red (for the motivation)
2) take off the rims (duh)
3) clean the calipers. I used my garden hose to wash it, then used warm water n a hard brush to scrub it.
4) mask it up! ( i didnt mask the brake pad facing outward )
5) have fun! ( shake shake n squirt..... i mean spray )
6) i did mine with about 10-12 coats with about 6-8 minutes drying time in between..
7)put back your rims and let it dry overnight if possible.

Congratulations, your car looks fast now! Probably 12% faster than previous too because people will be admiring your rims and brakes and you'll have that 'syiok' feel that money can't buy.

Have fun!

Attachments

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
hehe luv d shake shake n squirt quote...anyways another gr8 DIY bro...keep it up

Okay so i had time today. Rims look okay, but something is missing. The blood red brake calipers!
Off to the hardware store, bought me a can of Vermillon Red spray can ( and a Flat Black for touch up ) and started to have another DIY day.

Being the spontanious me, i did a lazy-diy project again to paint my calipers red.
So here's what i did;

1) admire your rims and imagine how it will look like if the calipers are painted red (for the motivation)
2) take off the rims (duh)
3) clean the calipers. I used my garden hose to wash it, then used warm water n a hard brush to scrub it.
4) mask it up! ( i didnt mask the brake pad facing outward )
5) have fun! ( shake shake n squirt..... i mean spray )
6) i did mine with about 10-12 coats with about 6-8 minutes drying time in between..
7)put back your rims and let it dry overnight if possible.

Congratulations, your car looks fast now! Probably 12% faster than previous too because people will be admiring your rims and brakes and you'll have that 'syiok' feel that money can't buy.

Have fun!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nice. But if that's not high temp red, it'll peel off pretty quickly. So to anyone who tries this - get the high temp variant of your paint of choice.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Nice. But if that's not high temp red, it'll peel off pretty quickly. So to anyone who tries this - get the high temp variant of your paint of choice.
Oh ya forgot to mention dat...it's true bro izso said..hi temp x come in other colors EXCEPT silver n black (let's call it PRIMER)..so spray dat 1st (in ur case shld b silver) THEN only spray d red..but remember in between primer n color shld be around 15mins...n if u wanna go a step further after d color just give it a layer or 2 of lacquer..n ur ready to go:idea:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oh ya forgot to mention dat...it's true bro izso said..hi temp x come in other colors EXCEPT silver n black (let's call it PRIMER)..so spray dat 1st (in ur case shld b silver) THEN only spray d red..but remember in between primer n color shld be around 15mins...n if u wanna go a step further after d color just give it a layer or 2 of lacquer..n ur ready to go:idea:
actually got high temp red also. I've seen it in ACE. But your Primer idea is a good idea!

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Thank you all!

was looking for high temp paint too, but they only had silver (which i should have bought) and copper-ish colour..

i know this red will appear to be 'lebam' over time, which then I will change to a different colour.. My car is black, and this red is just the first colour to match it..

Edited some pics to a different colour for fun.. and also to see how it would turn out.. thinking of yellow colour next, we'll see!

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

McLaren Special Operations, MSO will uncover their first 570GT to receive it's special treatment at this week’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

The McLaren 570GT by MSO concept will add an array of design, technology and luxury features onto the British sport-car maker’s ‘affordable’ grand-touring car.

Exterior

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience