Proper way to Jump Start & Change Battery

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Well car batteries contain pretty high current, am wondering what's the proper step-by-step in doing a jump start & changing batteries?

Which cable should be connected 1st to Which side of which part? Black goes to engine block but where to clamp?

After the jump start, what is the proper steps to disconnect the cables?

When swapping batteries, under what situations will you get electric shock? e.g. connecting the red before connecting the black.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Red = Positive
Black = Negative

Make sure the red do not touch the black, I tried before and saw spark occured between them.

Zzeenn

Jun 5, 2009
lol i guess i have been doing it all wrong. In step 4, i always connect to the dead battery's negative terminal. Learn something new everyday.

Mrnazmi

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2005
Drag City
Visit site
Make sure dont spark, or else other fuse may damage and can cost you back...:driver:
Always remember the positive and negative terminal before you plug or unplug the battery terminal..:proud:

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
Red = Positive
Black = Negative

Why do the battery charger cables have to be connected in this order?

The reason why you connect the battery cables to the dead car battery 1st is you have 3 metal cable ends dangling and potentially touching metal car parts, so a dead battery is less likely to cause any sparking, since it has little or no voltage. So that is the safest starting point for your jumper cables.

The 2nd battery cable clamp goes to the positive end of the good battery instead to minimize completing any circuits until we are ready to.

Then the 3rd end of the battery cable goes to the ground of the good battery. Remember, we still have not completed the circuit yet, until the 4th battery cable clamp is attached to ground. This is why this order of attaching the battery cables to your car batteries is the safest way to do it. It minimizes unnecessary sparking until the charging circuit is completed. This is good practice because excessive and unnecessary sparking could cause car batteries to fail.

Since the bad battery is weak, and to prevent exploding, it's ground clamp gets connected last, but not directly to the ground battery post. To prevent sparking directly on the battery, you connect the 4th battery cable clamp to a metal frame part of the dead car, which is connected to the minus pole of the battery. Car batteries have their ground cable also wired to the chassis of the car, so by clamping to a good metal chassis point, this is electrically equivalent to connecting to the ground post of your car battery.

And get a good set of jumper cables to keep in your trunk at all times..you'll never know when you need it :biggrin:

Cheerz

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
at nite can make some $$ to jump start.
for this month, if got lenglui ask for jump start cable...careful..look at her legs...got leg or not.careful!!

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
How does the car grounding works? Since only the tyre touches the road, how do the ground divert current to ground?

Say if lightning hit the car, how does the car divert the current surge to ground?

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
How does the car grounding works? Since only the tyre touches the road, how do the ground divert current to ground?

Say if lightning hit the car, how does the car divert the current surge to ground?
Let me enlighten you on this. Car electrical grounding doesn't work like the normal household electrical appliance. In modern automobiles, the grounding is provided by connecting the body of the car to the negative electrode of the battery, a system called 'negative ground'.

To help you appreciate how it look like plz go to:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...hks-circle-earth-grounding-system-2009-a.html

And the topic:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-modification/11413-car-grounding.html

And finally, my answer to your 2nd Q is that you are one damn luckiest guy for a lightning to strike your car.:laugh::laugh:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Let me enlighten you on this. Car electrical grounding doesn't work like the normal household electrical appliance. In modern automobiles, the grounding is provided by connecting the body of the car to the negative electrode of the battery, a system called 'negative ground'.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...hks-circle-earth-grounding-system-2009-a.html

And the topic:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-modification/11413-car-grounding.html

And finally, my answer to your 2nd Q is that you are one damn luckiest guy for a lightning to strike your car.:laugh::laugh:
why would he be lucky if lighning strike his car???
got sudden boost of speed ah???:burnout::burnout::burnout:
hehehe

Niemans1116

Known Member
Jul 1, 2010
SinCity
why would he be lucky if lighning strike his car???
got sudden boost of speed ah???:burnout::burnout::burnout:
hehehe
Yea..very lucky bcos the probability of lightning hitting a car is 1/10000000000. :laugh::laugh: Seriously, the fact that the car is sitting on tyre helps keep it from being electrically grounded, so it's more likely that the lightning will strike from someplace nearby with a whole lot better ground than his car. (Tall building structure, a tree, tv antenna, etc)

Ok joke aside, lighting do strike car, and it had been recorded in the states during intense electrical storm. But there is a phenomena called the 'skin effect" that protect the occupant inside and the structure of the car itself is likened to a steel box and it is protected by virtual of "Faraday cage".

See this amazing video:

http://www.spike.com/video/car-struck-by/2684184?cmpnid=753&pt=sr&refsite=7063

Cheerz

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Yea..very lucky bcos the probability of lightning hitting a car is 1/10000000000. :laugh::laugh: Seriously, the fact that the car is sitting on tyre helps keep it from being electrically grounded, so it's more likely that the lightning will strike from someplace nearby with a whole lot better ground than his car. (Tall building structure, a tree, tv antenna, etc)

Ok joke aside, lighting do strike car, and it had been recorded in the states during intense electrical storm. But there is a phenomena called the 'skin effect" that protect the occupant inside and the structure of the car itself is likened to a steel box and it is protected by virtual of "Faraday cage".

See this amazing video:

http://www.spike.com/video/car-struck-by/2684184?cmpnid=753&pt=sr&refsite=7063

Cheerz
woao good piece of technical info there bro :top:
but i still dont find it lucky if my car is struck by lightning i would still find it teriifying lol

Feb 17, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

And the topic:

The safest place to be when there's a lightning strike is in your car.

MDetailer

Apr 7, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I have a better way but in many might think this is crazy...take another working battery and connect to the dead one using a very SPECIAL tools...BUT warn you be real careful...

That Special tool is just 2 pcs of SPANNER!

Well it does start the dead battery and that mechanic stunt me!

He says is better than using cheaplak cables......that's was a real eye opener!

Do it with caution!!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello,

I want to ask all sifus here the best place to install 1jz vvti manual engine into Bmw e46 car.

Already lost lot of money due to nonprofessional mechanics...please help me thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience